What City Has The Bigest

geo_boy_2001

Let's assume it's "density by distance" and use the 100 mi radius (default) search by zip code on geocaching.com - These are random locations off the top of my head. Feel free to add your own metropolis. B) (I'll add them to the list here as time - and my boss - permit.) Maybe we can keep it to a top 15 or something? (Provide the closest metro area so I can keep from overlapping.)

Corona, CA (Los Angeles area) - 9488 caches

Lodi, CA (east of SF area) - 7845 caches

Morgan Hill, CA (San Francisco area) - 6026 caches

Seattle, WA - 5206 caches

Lincoln University, PA (Philadelphia/Baltimore area) - 4,971 caches

Dead Center, CT (just kidding) - 4646 caches

New York, NY - 4594 caches

Milwaukee, WI - 3560 caches

Chicago, IL - 3233 caches

Boston, MA - 3203 caches

Saint Paul, MN - 2284 caches

Phoenix, AZ - 2134 caches

Durham, NC - 1978 caches

Denver, CO - 1880 caches

Miami, FL - 914 caches

Bozeman, MT - 324 caches (only 960 in entire state!)

Casper, WY - 144 caches

CA has 21758 caches, and tiny RI has 271 (violating the 528 rule?)

Edited by HugoBear

I don't know everything to the exact number, but I always hear people saying the Nashville, TN has a TON of caches.

I think they're mostly micro, but I've seen that I think Lep did 240ish in one day down there. So cache density must be high there....

Or it could just be that the Leprachauns used their magical powers to fly from cache to cache. :lol:

Within 100 miles of Casper, WY (82601) there are currently 144 caches. There are 682 (including one event cache) in the entire state.

I bet those 682 caches are a maintenance challenge for both of the Wyoming cachers! :lol:

No problem ... some of them are owned by "out-of-state" cachers like me. Cuts it down to more like 100:1

:o

I don't know everything to the exact number, but I always hear people saying the Nashville, TN has a TON of caches.

I think they're mostly micro, but I've seen that I think Lep did 240ish in one day down there.  So cache density must be high there....

Or it could just be that the Leprachauns used their magical powers to fly from cache to cache. :lol:

2242 right now. About the same as my hometown of Saint Paul, MN. Decent pickings for the flying Leprechauns, if nothing else. :o

Edited by HugoBear

Doing the virt count near Yellowstone brought an interesting thought to mind:

How hard are the caches in the most dense areas? Seems to me that the number of mystery caches is a good proxy for difficulty, so here are the mystery caches as a fraction of the total for various locales:

494 of the 5206 caches from Seattle, WA (9.5%).

662 of the 7845 caches from Lodi, CA (8.4%).

437 of the 9488 caches from Corona, CA (4.6%).

79 of the 2242 from Nashville (3.5%).

I think that speaks for itself. :lol:

Doing the virt count near Yellowstone brought an interesting thought to mind:

How hard are the caches in the most dense areas? Seems to me that the number of mystery caches is a good proxy for difficulty, so here are the mystery caches as a fraction of the total for various locales:

494 of the 5206 caches from Seattle, WA (9.5%).

662 of the 7845 caches from Lodi, CA (8.4%).

437 of the 9488 caches from Corona, CA (4.6%).

79 of the 2242 from Nashville (3.5%).

I think that speaks for itself. :lol:

I can confirm that there is a large concentration of puzzle caches (and puzzle caches listed as multis making them doubly difficult), many quite ingenious, in and around Seattle. For a sampling, check out puzzles by in-city puzzlers Camp Latona, markta, and globalgirl. I undestand there are some avid puzzlers out in the 'burbs but I don't venture out there too often :o

peace, fishiam

Let's assume it's "density by distance" and use the 100 mi radius (default) search by zip code on geocaching.com - These are random locations off the top of my head. Feel free to add your own metropolis. :lol: (I'll add them to the list here as time - and my boss - permit.) Maybe we can keep it to a top 15 or something? (Provide the closest metro area so I can keep from overlapping.)

Corona, CA (Los Angeles area) - 9488 caches

Lodi, CA (east of SF area) - 7845 caches

Morgan Hill, CA (San Francisco area) - 6026 caches

Seattle, WA - 5206 caches

Lincoln University, PA (Philadelphia/Baltimore area) - 4,971 caches

Dead Center, CT (just kidding) - 4646 caches

New York, NY - 4594 caches

Milwaukee, WI - 3560 caches

Chicago, IL - 3233 caches

Boston, MA - 3203 caches

Saint Paul, MN - 2284 caches

Phoenix, AZ - 2134 caches

Durham, NC - 1978 caches

Denver, CO - 1880 caches

Miami, FL - 914 caches

Bozeman, MT - 324 caches (only 960 in entire state!)

Casper, WY - 144 caches

CA has 21758 caches, and tiny RI has 271 (violating the 528 rule?)

I think you left out a big one, Nashville, TN. Not quiet sure of the numbers though.

I think they're mostly micro, but I've seen that I think Lep did 240ish in one day down there.  So cache density must be high there....

Or it could just be that the Leprachauns used their magical powers to fly from cache to cache. :D

2242 right now. About the same as my hometown of Saint Paul, MN. Decent pickings for the flying Leprechauns, if nothing else. :ph34r:

2243 when I checked today. :mad:

Edited by HugoBear
From Milwaukee, WI main zip code of 53201, there are 3563 caches in 100 mi. radius

But bear in mind -- HALF of the 100 mile radius is Lake Michigan.  Imagine what it might be if there was land out there!

Ha... get some diving equipment! ZebramusselCaches... bet they'd be tough to find. :D

Same to you leprechauns. :ph34r: BarnacleCaches!

Edited by HugoBear

Cocoa Beach, FL (32931) has 2172 within 100 miles. Half of that diameter is the Atlantic Ocean and a good portion of the rest is taken up by the Air Force, NASA, National Wildlife Refuges and Canaveral National Seashore (all off limits except for 1 virt that I'm aware of).

Merritt Island (32952, 4 miles west) has 2254 with the same caveats.

Also, we've got a lost storm named Ophelia that can't decide which way to go. Does anyone want to adopt her and take her home? :ph34r:

Edited to add Merritt Island.

Edited by Road Rabbit

I have three that I am going to place this weekend that are all touching each other on the floor right now so by my calculations the number of caches per square inch at that exact point is 3. Three caches per square inch wins.

PS

Sadly, I have to disqualify myself as these caches have not been placed or approved, dadgum. Sorry

The shame.

I have three that I am going to place this weekend that are all touching each other on the floor right now so by my calculations the number of caches per square inch at that exact point is 3. Three caches per square inch wins.

PS

Sadly, I have to disqualify myself as these caches have not been placed or approved, dadgum. Sorry

The shame.

:o Nice try. :blink: