2006 Washington Geocoin

The Jester

My preferences for the 2006 version:
  • Trackable on Geocaching.com
  • Available by the start of summer
  • A different reverse side for each chapter of the WSGA (but each design available for purchase by all)

My thoughts.

1. Trackable on GC - Only if we also paid for the unique icon. I think that was $150 flat fee. Otherwise I don't care either way.

2. When - I think that by the begining of summer at the very latest. It is strange to get coins when most of the year is already over.

3. I like the different back ideas, will that increase the die fees or several smaller batches = highter per coin cost?

The overall cost does start to come into play at some point. I know that many people don't care though.

Good ideas!

Deception Pass would look nice for the 48 North coin.

I'm with shoknaw on this one

I like the idea of Deception Pass as well. I will add: from the viewpoint of the Lighthouse Point cache. It's a view enjoyed by many cachers, but not seen by the majority of the Deception Pass SP tourists.

Other ideas -

- An aerial view at an angle of the San Juan Islands

- An aerial view at an angle of the Skagit River Valley

- Mt Baker

- Peach Arch

- the Burlington Outlet mall

Symbols of Washington State

The above link contains symbols of WA state. I like the idea of putting the Columbia River on the 2006 WA geocoin. I'd prefer to see an image of the river itself, no dam, but an image of Grand Coulee dam is ok too. Perhaps the title of the song "Roll On Columbia, Roll On" could be added to the coin. On the back, perhaps a steelhead trout.

This is also a handy link if you haven't done the Symbolism cache yet. Hint, hint, hint.... :blink:

Bump.  Will there be a 2006 WA coin by summer?

Yes

Oh.... you probably wanted some details....

I'm not going to give a date because I don't have one yet and if I even guess as to one, it will be wrong. All I'll say is we are aiming for early spring.

Current plans call for four different coins. The same back will be used on all four, but each chapter is designing it's own front. We have some artwork from each chapter and are working out the details now.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko
Current plans call for four different coins. The same back will be used on all four, but each chapter is designing it's own front. We have some artwork from each chapter and are working out the details now.

Are they going to be minted in the same quantities for all four or will demand dictate the quanities of each?

Hmmm. I don't remember seeing any artwork from our chapter.

I sent a few mockups (5) to Patudles. She also had some other ideas that she submitted after those, but I haven't had time to create them. You should ask her to show what I sent her as well as have her run through her other ideas.

Each chapter (and that means the members within each chapter) is going to be responsible for coming up with its own design.

The only reason that there hasn't been more discussion about the chapter designs is that the club has been more focused on the membership coins that will go into production for all WSGA members on January 31st. Once we pass that date, we can start looking ahead to the chapter coins.

I suggest that any further discussion of the Washington Geocoins be done on the WSGA Web Site's forums. It keeps the discussions all in one place and allows us to discuss the coins freely without fear of breaking any of the new Coin Discussion rules.

This years coins most likely WILL be trackable on geocaching.com.

Washington State Geocaching (WSGA) Web Site

Indeed, and it might be helpful if Jester or one of the moderators could lock this thread.

The rules: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=120445

And the discussions of them: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=120446

Summary:

Bullet #1 says: "This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization. Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners. The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause."

This was further clarified by CO Admin after this question: "It seems to say that we can only trade (as opposed to sell) non-trackable coins. Am I reading this correctly? Is this new?", as " Yes this is true and yes it is new.".

Also, someone asked about the posting geocoin stuff in the other forums, here is the answer straight from Keystone:

"As for your second question, the new Geocoin Forum guidelines in the pinned thread say that they apply only in here. They are special rules. If someone opens a geocoin-thread in another forum, a moderator for that forum will move it to the proper forum. The Geocoin Forum moderators will then apply the specific rules for this forum, as well as the general forum guidelines. So, you cannot get around a restriction by posting elsewhere. One exception to this: A trackable Geocoin can be cross-posted to the appropriate national or regional section of the Groundspeak Forums. It is fine to post a thread in the Great Plains Forum about a new trackable Iowa Geocoin."

Bottom line, it's probably easier to do all the talking at the WSGA forums and then when they are available, and if they are trackable, move the ordering information to the Geocoin forum here.

I'm not trying to stir things up. I just think that would be easier.

I suggest that any further discussion of the Washington Geocoins be done on the WSGA Web Site's forums. It keeps the discussions all in one place and allows us to discuss the coins freely without fear of breaking any of the new Coin Discussion rules.

As far as I can tell, the new rules don't say anything about discussing designs, just sales/trades. But if there is a discussion going on the WSGA forums, that's probably is the best place.

Closing thread now.