Maps

Fireman9737

I'm just curious how many people use a map to scout out the best way in to a cache?

Or do you just go for it and let the bushwhacking trek in enhance your experience?

I personally will use a map to figure what order I'm doing the cache's in, but after that, Daddy's Girl (my caching partner) has controll of the gps. We have managed to walk a few circles and wear off some shoe leather but finding a cache is just that much more enjoyable.

I have this online map that may be of interest to users that I haven't used yet but may be a welcome addition for folks who want to see the terrain they will be crossing. The best part, you get Long. & Lat. as you move the cursor across the map.

So let's hear it. What is your style?

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/inde...FTOKEN=75611421

heh... I've got my legend maxxed out on caches from various pq's, and rarely bother to look at cache pages before I head out on a hunt. When I'm off searching a cache, I only use the navigation/compass screen on the GPSr; I almost consider it cheating to use the loaded maps.

However, there are always exceptions. Like the time I parked 1/2 mile from the cache and took off down the maintained trail. When I got within 1/4 mile, I looked at the remaining terrain and realized I had made a greivous mistake--the remaining distance was DENSE timber, and about a 200' climb--for a 1/1. Figured I did something wrong, walked back to the truck and drove around the lake. Parked within 40' of the cache--and then had to post a DNF because I didn't know it was a magnetic key holder stuck to the statue right in front of the truck. Downside to looking at the cache page a month before you go find it...

I've posted about this before, it's just my natural tendency to make some things harder than they have to be B)

For me, it varies. Yes, sometimes I will use a street map, topo map, or even satellite view to determine what I am getting into. Other times, I don't bother. And of course, with multi-caches, you only can look up the coordinates that you have before leaving the house.

Some cache descriptions have detailed parking information, and I will usually (but not always) use those. Others have no parking directions at all (which is OK, I deliberately left them out of my only cache hide, to mixed reaction from those who have visited the cache.) Without parking information, I worry about tresspassing, finding myself on the wrong side of a river, etc. and a map or satellite view is especially handy.

For remote caches, I plan my route with topo-map software and sometimes download a route to the GPS unit (Etrex). I take along a printed copy of the area of interest, just in case the electronics die. But the 1:100,000 digital maps loaded into the Etrex are nearly useless. And at least half of all topo-map-planned routes don't survive contact with reality and have to be scrapped.

For remote caches, I plan my route with topo-map software and sometimes download a route to the GPS unit (Etrex). I take along a printed copy of the area of interest, just in case the electronics die. But the 1:100,000 digital maps loaded into the Etrex are nearly useless. And at least half of all topo-map-planned routes don't survive contact with reality and have to be scrapped.

That sums up my experience. Forest service roads change like sand dunes.

For urban caches my GPS is up to the task.

For remote caches in the woods, I'll take a peek at topo maps and now also use google earth. For urban caches, I use the geocaching maps (and sometimes mapquest link) to determine best approach via roads. I generally cache with just coordinates in my GPSr, but a fun filled day of 15+ caches, I download the caches in a .loc file and put them in EasyGPS, and put in road directions in the comments column.

I started caching using print outs, then went paperless. I found that I spent more time fiddling with the PDA and maps then just knowing where the coordinates are and searching. Unless I remember the cache size from looking at the cache page, I do not even document that... just a personal technique to make each experience more challenging. Then again, I am not into numbers (evident from my find count), since I value each experience and time spent in the cache (an owner saw fit to take me to the area, so I'll take the time to appreciate the area). Sure, there are parking lot micros out there, but that is pretty darn self-evident when I get close to the coordinates, and it is a quick find anyhow.

We use a gazetteer and city maps. I want my son to learn how to figure things out, so I give him the lat and long and have him work out where we need to go and the best route to take. (y'know, going the wrong way up one-way streets just isn't fun!). We have a good time with that. He's not too patient with the actual searching for the cache part. If he hasn't found it within 45 seconds the world becomes a bitter place...

I've said it before and I'll probably say it a few more times. When in the woods always carry a map of the area and compass. Ya, and learn how to use them. About the time you someplace and really need to find your way back, the gps will die. Urban caches and travel are a different thing.

I guess that answers the question about whether I carry maps or not.

;)

Byron

I use the Garmin Mapsource topo maps on my desktop and on my handheld (in colour). I always want to have the topo map before heading in and I check the terrain closely. I keep the map screen active, and zoom as I get closer. Within 100m, I switch to the "compass" arrow.

I also carry a general road map for the current adventure on my Palm. I get this by taking a screen shot of Mapsource with the targets highlighted, and uploading it to the palm.

I've looked at a few maps. :lol: Repetitious painful stimuli have taught me to use a map every time I go somewhere new in a hurry. :lol:

I do sometimes go new places mapless. Douglas Adams described "Zen Navigation" as the act of finding a car that looks like it knows where it is going and following it. As he suggested, you might not end up where you expected, but probably in a more productive location. I once even used this technique to get out of lower Manhattan - just followed all the Jersey license plates. :lol: