Locked Up-- I Called

treebark

I talked to Joe at garmin about my 60cs locking up and he didn't seem to know of any problems of them locking up I told him that there are about 20 people on this site that are having the same problem. He then talked to someone else that said could be from hitting the center button and locking up the tracking because now it is in the pan mode. He said to just hit the quit button and it will start working again. Now I don't know if this is whats going on or not. Mine did it a few times and being new to this I didn't know what I did if anything. So now I will use it untill it locks up then I will look at this more carefuly. IF this is a firmware problem then everyone with this problem needs to call GARMIN..

My 60 c locks up and I've tried the quit button, advancing to the compass mode and then quit to map mode, recalc and nothing.. It just seems to unlock on it's own schedule. Next time I will try a restart. I've contacted Garmin and told them about the lock and downgrading to 3.8.... Love the item and enjoying the caching but it is frustrating...

FWIW my 60C has not had any problems for about a year. I did have problems with it shutting itself off spontaneously - but that's ancient history.

I got the cogs turnin' in my head <sound of screeching metal on metal> Y'all are having the problem on the MAP page, correct? So what maps are you using? Upgrade to CSNA Ver. 7 perhaps??? CSNA Ver. 7 Stand-alone? 6? 5?

Any particular geographic locations where this happens? Intersection maybe? Bridge over a highway?

I've been happily using CSNA 5 since I got my 60C - no problems with lock-ups.

Who knows what your particular problem is....I have had several "funky" things happen while using the 60cs...from lock-ups to routings that went one way... and then all of a sudden reversed direction and went the other.....finally a reset fiexed all....at least for the last few months now the operation is flawless.

Simple approach....do a master reset.....start from square one and if the problem re-occurs, send it back to Garmin for a replacement....and don't be shy about talking to Garmin...they have excellent customer service...you paid good bucks for the unit...and should get good service in return.....and remember...it's not your job to figure out what the problem is....make a reasonable effort to get it functioning...after that....let Garmin take a crack at it or else replace the unit.

send it back to Garmin for a replacement....

...and they send you back a replacement unit with the same problem.

...it's not your job to figure out what the problem is

My job is fixing peoples' computer problems - all day long. Nothing is more maddening to me than to have someone tell me, "My computer locked up on me."

My response is, "What were you doing at the time?"

Sometimes a user will tell me something like "I was just printing."

"What were you printing?"

"A document."

"What kind of document?"

"One on the Internet..."

"Can you tell me where you found this document on the Internet?"

"I fergot to bookmark it, but I know I need a new computer!"

Now, if a user can tell me it was a .pdf document they found at www.lockupmycomputer.com, and they can show me the link that they clicked on while using the Mozilla Firefox Web browser to get to the document, then there's a good chance that I can determine that they do NOT need a new computer!!!

So, the more information that we can provide to Garmin to help them reproduce the problem in a controlled environment, the sooner they can solve the software problem :ph34r:

Edited by Neo_Geo