National Trust Magazine

Archer4

From the Autumn National Trust Member's Magazine...

"Global Treasure Hunt

Forget the Olympics - the latest thing is geocaching. If you happen to have tripped on a half-concealed box while out rambling, it's likely that you have been a victim of the geocacher. Small waterproof "caches" are hidden around the countryside and then, using a global positioning system, the "cachers" post their co-ordinates on the internet. Then the hunt begins. The caches contain a logbook and often several other random small items, so it's a thrill to find one. The craze is global, but good places to start include the Brecon Beacons, the Lake District and South Downs. More details on www.geocaching.com"

:laughing:

good to see a positive view from them. not sure if we've a nationsl agreement with them but one should be possible on the back of that.

I wouldn't bet on it. Organisations like the NT often have an arms-length relationship with their in-house magazine - for one thing, that allows them to wash their hands if the magazine accepts an advert for something which upsets the membership. As a result, there's often little coherency between the organisation's policy of issue "X" and their "own" magazine's article on the same subject.

This may not be true for the NT but I've seen it for other organsiations (commercial and not) in the past.

Interesting - same result but different reaction - he found "a tranquil oasis that he didn't know existed despite having lived in London for 15y." Sounds like 50% of cache logs, usually followed by a smiley.... "Could have found it without geocaching just needed a guidebook and a Travelcard" - but in 15y he hadn't known about it or found it - one go at caching and he did...

(One of my friends came back from a weekend in a beautiful wooded valley that people kept talking about. He said they hadn't enjoyed it at all because "there was nothing there")

Takes all sorts

Certainly a better piece than in this one in the Independent today:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/scienc...ticle310902.ece

What do you expect living in London, if he`d of got of his fart ar*e and actually gone a bit further out of the city and gone into the countryside, he`d of found it a much better experience, but he`d of die of fresh air poisoning. Just another urbanite I fear.

Pengy

It would be ok (I'm happy to accept Geocaching isn't for everyone. If it was, it would spoil the game completely!) if he was consistent. It's treasure, it's not really treasure. You need to spend £400+ to play, you don't need to spend £400+ to play. It takes you to unusual places you've never visited before, it takes you nowhere special you couldn't find with a guidebook anyway...

Very poorly constructed piece and generally sloppy journalism. In my opinion. And I am the man who just wrote this for a magazine. I'm very proud:

“Excuse me”.

Two words, when delivered on a High Street where I’m not expecting them, are guaranteed to strike fear into my heart. I turned slowly, already knowing what to expect. The only surprise was the colour of her clipboard. It was lime green. I felt a fool to have been caught so ill prepared. I must have been daydreaming not to spot the danger, to perform a course-correcting swerve, to suddenly be fascinated by a display of cardies in Marks & Spencer’s window. Even to have just ignored the “Excuse me”, tainted as it was by a New Zealand accent and walked on, would have done. But no, I’d failed in this simple task. I looked down into a big pair of earnest eyes behind unfashionable glasses and wondered what was it to be today. Save the Orphaned Puppies of Turkmenistan? Lesbians with Leprosy Rescue? F**king Tourettes Awareness again? Whatever it was, I was soon to be invited to give this young, shapely woman, a total stranger, my bank details, and by painful extension, my money. She wouldn't get either, but that wouldn't stop her asking, dammit. The dictionary has a new word; Chugger. It's a compound of Charity Mugger and I was about to say “Mir ist die Brieftasche aus meinem Zimmer gestohlen worden” to this typical example, when she followed her “Excuse me” up with those blessed words: “We’re doing some market research”....

SP :lol:

yeah but two types of market research. one gives you freebies and taste test. the other just expects you to answer questions without any incentive.....i know which i prefer.

back ot. good to hear that locally some nt agreements are going through good luck.

It continues:

Phew. Close call. She showed me some ID and pointed me to the Civic Centre where, in exchange for half an hour of my time, I could have a pen. Since I have much more time than money, and don’t mind giving it up half as much, I sauntered off. Hey, a free pen’s a free pen. For the better part of an hour they showed me adverts and asked me to rate them for effectiveness and say if I thought they were -ist. Any -ist. Political correctness does stretch to commercials for curry source. Personally I liked his turban, but the head-wobble was a step too far.

Also back o.t. I'm pleased with the NT Mag write-up and developments there. Good luck to all concerned from me too.

SP

What do you expect living in London, if he`d of got of his fart ar*e and actually gone a bit further out of the city and gone into the countryside, he`d of found it a much better experience, but he`d of die of fresh air poisoning. Just another urbanite I fear.

Pengy

* rant* Another city boy journalist who is disgusted when a speck of dirt hits their designer clothes and thinks the best way of passing your time is hobnobing with so called celebs *rant over*

sorry got some colleagues at work whos attitude is exactly the same, if not football or trendy bars on deansgate then its a weekend shopping trip to trafford centre or meadowhell, and i.ve just been defending my lifestyle and leisure pursuits to them,

this thread just caught me at the wrong moment

*deep breath*

i'm calmer now

Pengy

* rant* Another city boy journalist who is disgusted when a speck of dirt hits their designer clothes and thinks the best way of passing your time is hobnobing with so called celebs *rant over*

sorry got some colleagues at work whos attitude is exactly the same, if not football or trendy bars on deansgate then its a weekend shopping trip to trafford centre or meadowhell, and i.ve just been defending my lifestyle and leisure pursuits to them,

*deep breath*

i'm calmer now

I'm with Bargee on this one....

Prior to moving to Northwich 4 years ago, I lived in Wirral... for a few years I worked in City Centre Livepool, and loved my life.

Moving to Cheshire made me realise how ridiculous my life was - spending loads on clothes, going to great bars etc... I love my slower pace of life, I love my camping trips, caching, and playing in the countryside....

If the gimp who wrote the piece tried a "different lifestyle" then he might find he enjoys it.

I think he didn't WANT to enjoy himself......

Pengy

*deep breath*

i'm calmer now

Puts flame retardant suit on....

I didn't think the article was that bad actually, he sums up what geocaching is, how it works and some of its history. He gives examples of equipment and the sorts of places you visit. He even tells us how to get started and how to play the game. But in the end he didn't like it which is fine.

And lets face it he's not far wrong when he says "box full of tat" for many caches is he? But he then explains that the game is more than just the final destination.

I think you're giving him a hard time just because at the end of the day geocaching wasn't his cup of tea.

I didn't like all the "nerd" references and the condescending tone of the article. There was a lot of very accurate and useful information there but it was very demeaning towards anyone involved. Its not all tat and its not all halfwit social misfits that are geocaching. Fair enough a lot of us are but its not 100% coverage :ph34r: