What Should I Look For On Ebay...

I'd like to go paperless! I have a Garmin Vista with a serial cable. I am looking for something to connect it to that can communicate with it and also run GSAK. It would only be used for this purpose and probably needs to be smallish to lug around.

Smallest PC I ever bought is the size of a dustbin, hence no knowledge!!

Thanks,

Dave

I use a Palm Vx - costs about £30. With this you can use Cachemate, and Mimee, which together give you the facility to do all your caching paperless.

I haven't tried connecting my GPS12 directly to my Palm Vx but with two serial ports on the PC it doesn't matter, as one is dedicated to the Palm, for uploading data etc, and the other is dedicated to the GPS for uploading Waypoints.

The software mentioned works with most handhelds, although the writer of Mimee has not tested it on all.

Hope this helps.

We use a Palm Vx from Ebay with cachemate and gsak plus PQ's from the website.

Theres a guide on our website www.markandlynn.co.uk and we have just bought a lead to download waypoints from the palm to our etrex

(good for multi's and projected waypoints plus when calculating nearest caches these can beam the other way)

worked a treat in the field and on holiday.

communicate with it and also run GSAK.

Well GSAK is a PC based application so you would require a small laptop. I sometimes use a Panasonic Toughbook, this is a ruggedized laptop it is light and gives you a 10” viewable screen. Great for taking your PC out into the field, and better viewable map area than a PDA.

But if you want a small handheld device then a Pocket Pc is far better than a Palm I know I have used both in my time.

Milton (aka Moote)

communicate with it and also run GSAK.

Well GSAK is a PC based application so you would require a small laptop. I sometimes use a Panasonic Toughbook, this is a ruggedized laptop it is light and gives you a 10” viewable screen. Great for taking your PC out into the field, and better viewable map area than a PDA.

But if you want a small handheld device then a Pocket Pc is far better than a Palm I know I have used both in my time.

Milton (aka Moote)

a palm is better for caching that a pocket pc. as cachemate will run on palms.

plus a palm will cost a hell of a lot less.

there is much more software suitable for our needs on palms than on pocket pc's.

there is much more software suitable for our needs on palms than on pocket pc's.

Well software wise a Pocket PC has better tools for caching including the totally free GPX Sonar.

Memory Map Nav with a GPSr connected to the Pocket PC gives you a fair indication of position. A new Pocket PC can cost less than £200 and that includes a GPS receiver if you try the Mitac MIO 168

I think though that my Toughbook Laptop + Garmin GPSMap 60CS can’t be beaten on functionality.

Palms are Old hat and that is why I changed to a pocet PC 2 years ago, then I started caching this year and my Pocket PC has been a great tool

Milton (aka moote)

Well software wise a Pocket PC has better tools for caching including the totally free GPX Sonar.

Memory Map Nav with a GPSr connected to the Pocket PC gives you a fair indication of position. A new Pocket PC can cost less than £200 and that includes a GPS receiver if you try the Mitac MIO 168

I think though that my Toughbook Laptop + Garmin GPSMap 60CS can’t be beaten on functionality.

Palms are Old hat and that is why I changed to a pocet PC 2 years ago, then I started caching this year and my Pocket PC has been a great tool

Milton (aka moote)

yes but for £16 you can have a palm that will do everything needed for caching.

mine will connect to my gps, show me the nearest caches, transfer them to the gps. and i can have the whole of the uk database.

granted the pocket pc's are good. but for most cachers who want it simply to go paperless they are overkill and wont be fully used.

i considered getting a better palm or a pocket pc. but i decided i wouldnt use it. so i going to just get a gpsmap 60c instead to have the maps on.

Pocket PC? Palm? Choices, choices..

My O2 XDAiiS is both pocket PC and mobile phone, so yes, I can download those pesky spoiler photos when I'm out in the field.. Does this mean everyone should use one of these? Of course not - please let's not start a mac/PC/Unix/Windows argument over the relative merits of Pocket PC vs Palm devices here - they both have their merits and it's down to individual preference.

One cannot say definitively that one is better than the other, so let's not.

There is plenty of software out there to suit both platforms - frankly the best way to decide is to have a play with each, but if that's not possible, look at the software you want to run before deciding what hardware to buy.

My O2 XDAiiS is both pocket PC and mobile phone, so yes, I can download those pesky spoiler photos when I'm out in the field.. Does this mean everyone should use one of these? Of course not - please let's not start a mac/PC/Unix/Windows argument over the relative merits of Pocket PC vs Palm devices here - they both have their merits and it's down to individual preference.

There is plenty of software out there to suit both platforms - frankly the best way to decide is to have a play with each, but if that's not possible, look at the software you want to run before deciding what hardware to buy.

i agree 100% with you, sometime palms are better and vice versa.

but my point is, for caching, a £16 will unit will do the works.

so it matters not weather a pocket pc is better for other things. the palm will do the job perfectly. and is by far the cheapest option.

granted, if oyu are using it for other things a pocket pc may be better.

i agree 100% with you, sometime palms are better and vice versa.

but my point is, for caching, a £16 will unit will do the works.

so it matters not weather a pocket pc is better for other things. the palm will do the job perfectly. and is by far the cheapest option.

granted, if oyu are using it for other things a pocket pc may be better.

No offence meant and none taken.. :laughing:

I'm going to lay odds, however, that once a pocket device has been acquired, whether palm or windows based, other uses than geocaching will quickly become apparent.

Ergo, it makes sense to have a bit of a look round before making the purchase!

And whatever you buy, don't forget to put it in a waterproof plastic bag, cos neither type has any protection against water ingress!

£16 v £200 - £500.

Sounds like even if Palms have their weaknesses they have one major strength when out in the field - you aren't going to worry about dropping it.

Actually these things are tougher than they look - I dropped mine on the pavement on Sunday - landed on one corner - not a scratch to be seen and it still works fine.

Make sure you worry about the water thing, though!

I have a Palm and a PPC. The Palm wins by a million miles over PPC for ease of use etc. Cachemate is better than the PPC software, none of which is quite like Cachemate. However, some things like In Car Sat Nav works better on PPC so I carry both. My PPC is dedicated to TomTom, and runs Fugawi much faster. The Palm is used for cache descriptions in Cachemate and logging finds.

Have you considered why you want to go paperless? You can always recycle paper...

the pda / laptop may take far more power and resources than recycling paper. :laughing:

Just done a quick current consumption calculation on charging a PPC 1KWh cost around 6p so my PPC cost 0.3p to charge. Now how much energy goes into producing and distributing paper? And after you have finished with it, the problems of disposal.

This is a really interesting thread, as a relative newbie, I am still using good ole paper and a clip board on my lap, however, I was struck by the sheer volume of paper I felt the need to print up prior to going to London last week.

Then there was the problem that I had the waypoints in my GPSr (Garmin 60cs) and was shuffling paper in the open to match up the details. I guess paper is ok if you are going out prepared to do just one or two caches, but it must be handy to have some access to a larger volume of cache details when out and about.

Question: To those of you who use an alternative to paper, can you store the whole cache page or just a few details?

Presumably, one would simply d/l the database again every so often to keep it up to date?

Sorry if these are daft questions, but the last palmtop I used was a Psion, and I am sure they have moved on considerably since then.

Question: To those of you who use an alternative to paper, can you store the whole cache page or just a few details?

I use a Palm based Garmin iQue 3600. That runs CacheMate loaded with all the UK caches split into 2 databases; Found and Unfound. For a caching trip I just 'bookmark' the caches I'm intending to go for. That makes them easier to find (in the database B) ). CacheMate holds all the cache details but in text form so some (a lot) of any HTML formatting can be lost. For cache pages that rely on HTML formatting, I load them in HTML format and use an HTML viewer application, Plucker, to see them in all their glory. They tend to be a bit on the memory hungry side though so I only use that when it's necessary.

This is a really interesting thread, as a relative newbie, I am still using good ole paper and a clip board on my lap, however, I was struck by the sheer volume of paper I felt the need to print up prior to going to London last week.

Then there was the problem that I had the waypoints in my GPSr (Garmin 60cs) and was shuffling paper in the open to match up the details. I guess paper is ok if you are going out prepared to do just one or two caches, but it must be handy to have some access to a larger volume of cache details when out and about.

Presumably, one would simply d/l the database again every so often to keep it up to date?

Sorry if these are daft questions, but the last palmtop I used was a Psion, and I am sure they have moved on considerably since then.

if you use pocket queries and cachemate on the palm you can have the whole of the UK caches.

and it will have all the detials from the cache page including the last few logs from finders. (default is last 4)

it also has the hint encoded, but will decode with one click.

the only thing it wont have is any spoiler pictuires. and some caches that are puzzle based have a picture in the text that it wont have.

but for 99% of caches you never need look at them online or print them again. the palm has everything you need.

Yes using GPX Sonar or GPX View you can have the cache page, the hint and a recent selection of logs; all available offline. You can sort and filter very easily by allsorts of criteria (I GPX Sonar at least not used GPX View that much) Both these applications are free unlike Cachemate which appears to be shareware.

I hate to bang on about this but the Pocket PC is far superior; reason why? Well why is it that you do not see Pocket PC on eBay for a few pounds? Well it is because as soon as you get your hands on a Pocket PC the Palm looks like a kiddie’s toy. Why short change yourself with a Palm!

Milton (aka moote)

I hate to bang on about this but the Pocket PC is far superior; reason why?  Well why is it that you do not see Pocket PC on eBay for a few pounds?  Well it is because as soon as you get your hands on a Pocket PC the Palm looks like a kiddie’s toy.  Why short change yourself with a Palm!

Milton (aka moote)

I can afford a Palm at less than £50, I can't afford a PPC at more than £200 so it's no good you banging on about how good they are. You have your personal preference (and budget) and I have mine, so lets leave it at that.

My Palm does everything I need at a reasonable price so if you think it's a "kiddie's toy" it makes no difference to me. You would probably have something to say about the car I drive and the football team I support but they're good enough for me.

I appreciate your obvious knowledge in these matters but other people are allowed to have other views.

We went for the palm based on price cachemate has several screens

O - overview of all pages

I - Basic inforametion of GC code, co ordinates, cache type, terrain, TBS

D - Description as listed on cache page getting better with HTML tidy but no images so caches like resistance is futile can't be solved

H - Hint page

L - log page for recording found date, time, swaps TB numbers etc

P - previous logs however many you exported before leaving home on hols we go for four previous logs when out for the day we export all previous logs

You can in addition project waypoints type clue solutions into the pages and export you in the field logs directly to the cache page when you hot sync

We broke a palm in the field when it dropped 1 inch but as it cos £14 wer'nt to fussed bought the next lot with the metal cases .

I can afford a Palm at less than £50, I can't afford a PPC at more than £200

Yes but why is it that Palms come on eBay for under £50 and PPC's are usually much higher. A new Palm can cost as much as a new PocketPC but they depreciate much faster. There is one reason and that is that they are far better than Palms, not starting a Palm / PPC war here just stating a fact so that Team Ballibeg get the full facts. I would hate to think that we did note give them a fully informed view, which is what these forums are for. It they have the ability to spend £150 for a cheap PocketPC, then this info will be of help or to others out there. As I said earlier I have user both devices and see the real advantages that PPC gives over Palm. Let Team Ballibeg decide from the facts not for your personal view.

Milton (aka moote)

I can afford a Palm at less than £50, I can't afford a PPC at more than £200

Yes but why is it that Palms come on eBay for under £50 and PPC's are usually much higher. A new Palm can cost as much as a new PocketPC but they depreciate much faster. There is one reason and that is that they are far better than Palms, not starting a Palm / PPC war here just stating a fact so that Team Ballibeg get the full facts. I would hate to think that we did note give them a fully informed view, which is what these forums are for. It they have the ability to spend £150 for a cheap PocketPC, then this info will be of help or to others out there. As I said earlier I have user both devices and see the real advantages that PPC gives over Palm. Let Team Ballibeg decide from the facts not for your personal view.

Milton (aka moote)

Team Ballibeg stated that they wanted something that could be used with GSAK and their GPS. Both these tasks can be done with a Palm or a PPC.

You seem to be suggesting that they should be spending (up to) ten times as much because a PPC will do things they don't want better! Have you ever worked for PC World? B)

Let Team Ballibeg decide from the facts not for your personal view.

You've made eight posts to this thread, I've now made two (and won't be making any more). It would seem that you're the one trying to influence Team Ballibeg, I just think there is room for more debate than you do.

A new Palm can cost as much as a new PocketPC but they depreciate much faster.  There is one reason and that is that they are far better than Palms

And yet people are still buying Palms...

Team Ballibeg stated that they wanted something that could be used with GSAK and their GPS

Yes I realised very early they wanted to use GSAK and that is why I said a Panasonic Toughbook would be ideal as this can resist rain and dirt, but the palm boys started the argument

Edited by moote

Being a fellow miserly tightwad I download all my cache files from geocacheUK, I'd rather support the UK based one anyway(yes I am aware that it's the same US database).

We recently went to cornwall armed with a laptop and etrex vista, mapsource and memory map, and I have to say it was great to have a scrolling os map and just browse the map for nearby caches.

If some-one is looking for a Palm for paperless caching, we will be putting one of ours one eBay tomorrow (Sun 11 Sep 05).

We will also be selling seperately:

A Palm folding keyboard (absolutely must-have item that accesses all the Palm functions) and enables you to type stuff in as fast as with a normal PC.

A rigid mini-keyboard (Bernie used this at work)

A spare cradle (used with the mini-keyboard)

Bernie's gone PPC!

Originally started with the Palm for Cachemate, found it so, so useful as a PDA that I've ended up spending a small fortune on a PPC, BT keyboard, BT GPS, BT earpiece and mounts for the cars.

The Palm is a fantastically useful bit of kit - the PPC is too with bells on.

Whichever way you go, you do wonder how you managed without one! Once you've got used to having all your data to hand, personal stuff like names and addresses, PINs (encryped of course) along with the little diversions (Scrabble, Backgammon et al), the ability to type up a document anywhere then beam it to the PC for finishing off... the list is endless. and of course, this is Gadget-Mans' idea of heaven!

Eventually, having the programmes like Word etc in your pocket just meant that I ended up rolling all my things - Car routing, phone, caching, organisation all into a single lump. Brilliant stuff...

If anyone is interested, my Palm kit is up on eBay. Paperless caching and excellent organisation of your life at a minimal cost!!!

There's the PDA itself (updated to OS 4.1), a Palm folding keyboard, a rigid mini-keyboard and a spare cradle.

Search for "Palm IIIxe" and you'll find them - I will not be posting links here on this site.

All up seperately so you can "upgrade" your setup as required.

I'll be sorry to see this old friend go...

You're charging alot for a bidder to use Paypal - watch out ebay don't pull the listing they don't like people saying they're add extra for using paypal.

Each of your items would have to sell for £31 before you'd have to pay more to paypal then the £1.50 fee you're stating.

Also recommend you state the postage+packaging cost within UK in the listing, maybe lump in the realistic paypal cost so it's not seen by ebay.

I personally base my bids on the postage costs

Dave

You're charging alot for a bidder to use Paypal - watch out ebay don't pull the listing they don't like people saying they're add extra for using paypal.

Each of your items would have to sell for £31 before you'd have to pay more to paypal then the £1.50 fee you're stating.

Thanks for your comments Dave, but you will see that I encourage buyers to pay by electronic transfer - it's free for both parties and far more secure for the seller (since the payment cannot be recalled/disputed).

I'm not sure where my postage fees went! I use "Auction Tamer" to do the admin - obviously it didn't!

You are correct about my Paypal levy - I was thinking of the £1.95 I was charged on a recent sale, it was for a £50 transfer. I will amend my posts immediately.

Thanks again...

B

Fascinating this is!

I have a Vx but am considering PPC!

I am currently using an alternative...

My Motorola A1000 phone can display web pages no problem so I have all the cache pages on there. It can also display Memory Map maps and seems to work ok.

Downside is that its a bit of work to transfer stuff to the phone etc but it seems to work ok.

I um'ed and ah'ed and just picked up a Palm m500 for £16.01 on Ebay. crunchiespg was out on price by 0.01p, there's someone who knows ebay!

I wanted the SD slot and reckoned for £16 its perfect for us, though I appreciate the other options discussed.

Dave

Now go and get CacheMate for $8 and you're off on the paperless trail :D.

When you've got yourself familiar with it you could always buy a serial USB hot-sync cable from eBay (£dirt.cheap) and start uploading caches to your GPSr from your Palm :D:D.

Enjoy :D

As this thread has encouraged me to get a palm m500(£19 off ebay) and cachemate who's going to tell me how to get my logs back into gsak???

Preferably in idiot terms :o

Incidently if anyones interested I have writen a little script to take a screen-shot and convert to a palm compatible file and queue it up for hot-sync, great for taking a snapshot from memory-map, all with one button press.

Incidently if anyones interested I have writen a little script to take a screen-shot and convert to a palm compatible file and queue it up for hot-sync, great for taking a snapshot from memory-map, all with one button press.

That sounds good.. any chance you could post it somewhere or even better email it to people ?

Plam and PPC user here.. Palms are so much better for geocaching and general use...PPCs are just so clunky in comparison to palm OS. Windows is a desktop program, its really not good at mobile apps. It's mainly just for looks and battery consumption :o There are bazillions of software apps written for the Palm OS.. you think it, it's probably been already written; I've seen the most obscure apps. They are VERY flexible. Cachemate + SD card is the killer app for Geocaching on a mobile device... it just fits the bill and runs on any palm, older models up to their newest powerhouses.

As this thread has encouraged me to get a palm m500(£19 off ebay) and cachemate who's going to tell me how to get my logs back into gsak???

Preferably in idiot terms :blink:

I assume you mean that you are using cachemate in the field, marking start and end times, ticking found etc, and you want to upload these into gsak, to help with logging your finds on GC.com? I assume you are already hotsyncing your palm with your PC?

If so, its quite complicated, but to start with, you need to go to GSAK to download the cachematelog.txt macro.

Once done, and installed in your gsak macro folder, you will need to edit the macro for you path settings. You will also need to download a small exe file (cm2gpx.exe) from Smittyware which converts your palm backup pdb file (where all your new logs are stored) into a file for gsak to read.

Editing the macro can be rather difficult, having just done this myself, so if you need any guidance if you can't get it to work, then let me know!

Hope that helps! Good luck! ;)