Cache Deserts

crunchiespg

well, we live in the most south easterly tip of England, so immediately most of our circumference is in the sea; but these stats may give you an idea of just how dire it is:

In a 10 mile radius there are just 7 caches, 4 of which were placed this year (soon to be 5 because I have just spied a place to hide my first cache and am due to set about badgering the land owner!)

In a 20 mile radius there are 28 caches and in a 40 mile radius 134

While not exactly a desert compared to some of the places on the map, this is still really really limited! In comparison, when we were on holiday in the Peak district, the same stats were as follows

10 miles - 46 caches

20m - 153 caches

40m - 763 caches !!!!!!

I think I need to move up north, or at least to at place that isn't surrounded by sea :laughing:

Edited by Andys101 & Miss Redfrock
well, we live in the most south easterly tip of England, so immediately most of our circumference is in the sea; but these stats may give you an idea of just how dire it is:

In a 10 mile radius there are just 7 caches, 4 of which were placed this year (soon to be 5 because I have just spied a place to hide my first cache and am due to set about badgering the land owner!)

In a 20 mile radius there are 28 caches and in a 40 mile radius 134

While not exactly a desert compared to some of the places on the map, this is still really really limited! In comparison, when we were on holiday in the Peak district, the same stats were as follows

10 miles  - 46 caches

20m - 153 caches

40m - 763 caches !!!!!!

I think I need to move up north, or at least to at place that isn't surrounded by sea  :laughing:

You don't need to go that far north. There's 120 within a 10 mile radius of my home in Luton.....

Oh I don't know though.... think I'd sooner be in the Peak District :D:laughing:

Edited by Pharisee
Hey who nicked Ireland?

Apparently the coastline of Ireland is property of the Ordnance Survey and I have to pay them money if I want to use it. Well, that's true of the Republic - the Northerners wouldn't even talk to me!

If anyone has a high resolution, royalty free, known-scale, mercator projection of Ireland, send it my way and I'll add it.

Not a town, but take a look at the Orkney Islands, just north of John O'Groats. Wonderful landscape, plenty of cache locations and only 1 traditional and 1 virtual cache when I visited in July. Looks like the Orkney needs its own Happy Humphrey :DB)B)

Should be up there now doing the only 2 caches but had to cancel at the last minute. Still, my friends have gone armed with GPS and spoiler photos and are hoping to do the one and only container cache there. Hope they get the bug from the only one because if they do then there will be an Orkanian cacher and a chance of some caches up there.

Hope they get the bug from the only one because if they do then there will be an Orkanian cacher and a chance of some caches up there.

I'll keep my fingers crossed - we were up for a wedding and hoped to place a Hoy cache on a friends croft, but decided not to due to circumstance. Will be back however and hope to find more caches as and when they appear!

:D:o Have just come back from one of those cache free zones in Powys,there were only a few when we started going but it is slowly improving.I think my nearest cache from LD6 was about 11 miles as the crow flies and would take about 2 hrs in the car as someone forgot to build roads up that way!! :lol:

;) The caches that are there though are excellent and usually good hikes.

If anyone has a high resolution, royalty free, known-scale, mercator projection of Ireland, send it my way and I'll add it.

I have a number of differnet ones (some sourced from the same place as the Contour maps), reprojected on various scales. Mainlly used for the maps on www.trigtools.co.uk and www.geograph.co.uk .

I've also replied off forum, but let me know what sort of format you want.