Stealing Bugs

trail hound

I've recently noticed an unusually large amount of travel bugs missing in area caches and it always seems to be after a certain, new, cacher has been to the cache....At first, they wouldn't mention the bugs in their logs..I sent them an e-mail and asked if they needed help in logging the bugs.A week went by before I got a response and it stated that they never saw any travel bugs...Now they state in their logs that there was no T.B.'s in cache and most times, they are the next to log after a bug drop....

Any ideas as to what can be done to stop this????

The next bug could be YOURS!!!!

At first I was thinking (trying to give them the benefit of the doubt) that maybe they like bugs are are actively searching out caches with bugs in them, so they'd be more likely than average to spot the missing ones.

Then I wondered, if they really are stealing bugs, what their reaction would be if someone else got to them first. I looked at their logs, and there does seem to be a different reaction when that happens: in all of the cases where they are the first logger after a TB drop, they just say "No TB." In the one case where there was another log in between (which mentioned that there were no bugs in the cache), these cachers wrote "NO TRAVEL BUGS!!!!"

I think you are right to be suspicous; I would be too. But I have no idea what can be done about it. :lol:

edited for early-morning typos

Edited by the hermit crabs

Suspicious? ah yeah.

I'll bet on a couple recent ones if you checked the logbook (if they sign it) they signed it before the next cacher and then posted on line after them.

But no need to go that far. Pass this information on to your local approver so they can keep an eye on them as well. Who knows maybe they can see if this new cacher is actually an old cacher playing games.

Edit: addtional thought. I'll bet five bucks these bugs will suddenly show up requiring a ransom of some sort to be released.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Sounds like a "sting" operation is needed. Set-up a cache, set up a webcam. Drop some bugs -- video their arrival and removal of bugs.

Then, if the bug goes "missing" you can post the picture of them removing the bug for all to see! Maybe even make it the front page of a webcam cache called "Bug Catcher" or some such thing. For all eternity they can be humiliated!

(also, to give them the benefit of the doubt, they are probably collecting Travel Bugs in secret for a cache of their own -- TB Prison/hotel)......nah.... they're theives.

I just noticed that they have eight T.B.'S in their name and none are released ?????Including three or four Jeeps (under various names)  How are they switching names of T.B.'S and claiming them as theirs????? But not every releasing them????

How do I contact an approver???

At the bottom of your caches there should be the name of a local or state reviewer, the one who approved your caches. I would start there.

Edited by Team Owl

I have also notice a great deal of tb's just disapearing. Some I have seen logged out in the logbooks but not online. Some have been logged out online but still in the cache. I have even seen instances where people log them into a cache in the logbook and online but when the first to arrive after drop off of the TB it is no where to be found (fake drop). I think people need to be more careful and considerate of these things.

I myself have ordered some of the new 2005 WA geocoins and I like the idea of having address tags on the TB's. So I have decided that a small hole drilled on one edge of the coin would be great for placing a small chain for an address tag.

"I belong to luvsmyrubi, and stealing is a crime" Sound good? :lol:

There was a similar episode in the Kansas City area concerning a TB thief who had stolen 20plus TB's which had been going on for about a year. Nothing was posted or anything-the TB's just kept disappearing from the caches. My Mr. BooCat TB was involved and I just gave up all hope for him.

Then suddenly a few weeks ago, I saw that my Mr. BooCat was placed in a cache west of Kansas City about a year after he disappeard. All the other stolen TB's were placed in the cache too. It looked like somebody created a fake account to dump off all the stolen TB's

Subhubby

When I saw it, at first I didn't believe that all the TB's were dumped in the cache, and the jerk was just fooling us. Luckily the bugs were actually put in the cache and the next few cache finders had a real bonanza of TB's and some said it was the best TB stash they had ever seen.

Anyway, I'm glad that whoever stole the bugs finally returned them and they are in circulation again. I'm glad that this is a TB horror story that had a wonderful ending.

Edited by WebbyCat