Gps 60

billn

I am trying to decide which basic GPSr to buy and have looked at the very basic etrex (yellow) and the GPS 60 (yellow) which is quite a bit more expensive.

Now that you GPS 60 owners have had time to use your 60s I am interested in any views you have got of them good and bad.

All replys will be read with interest.

I have the GPS 60 and am very happy with it.

I happened to look at a working version at an outdoor store one day, then got rid of my trusted Magellan Sportrak and bought the GPS 60! The Magellan claimed to lock on to WAAS satellites with more ease, but the 60 gives me more consistent tracks and I find that cache coordinates are, erm, a little more accurate! I seem to think that the onscreen WAAS-lock display on the Sportrak's satellite screen did not mean it (still) had sat lock. I also think that the Sportrak's Averaging feature does it more harm than good, as it seems to average itself out the picture when under tree cover...

But enough about the Sportrak - the GPS 60 is nicer in every way to use, and it has more features. Compared to the Etrex it features newer everything (including WAAS) and will also allow you more routes (and tracks etc). A little extra money, but a great unit with a very good following. The USB cable is also a plus (compared with serial). The Etrex is a great little unit, but I think most will agree that the 60 is a better option.

Good luck!

the 60 is far superior to the etrex.

its newer, better signal, easier to use buttons. the etrex is a pain as it hasnt got enough buttons for each function. the 60 has. the etrex will take you forever to enter waypoints.

the 60 comes with a usb cable, the etrex you will have to shell out money for a crappy slow serial cable, which will bring the prices to about even. and many pc's dont have serial anymore.

but the 60 can still use a serial cable, such as for connecting to your palm computer.

better screen, better battery life. geocaching mode. more tracks/routes.

the list goes on and on.

i did a lot of research, and found the 60 is far better than the etrex.

im very happy with mine.

in fact so happy with the 60 series im going to get a 60c for the mapping.

I have used the eTrex for over a year and like it a lot. I used a seral cable for entering waypoints, so that made my life easier.

I just got a 60, and like it better. The "compass" screen is nice since I can configure the display to show the fields I am interested in (distance to next, speed, time to next, etc). I don't have to keep switching pages or fields.

I got mine at MegaGPS for ~150 + shipping. I think Amazon had it for about the same price.

Does anyone have any experience using a Magellan GPSr and a GPS 60 under tree cover? I have an Explorist 200, which I like, but I'm tried of keying in coords by hand. I see lots of positive comments about the Garmin 60's (I'm assuming that the GPS 60 would function like the more expensive mapping 60's in regards to receiving sat signals.) The thing that makes me hesitate about buying a 60 is that I hear that Garmins lose there signal under tree cover. It seems we are are always under tree cover when caching. Anyone out there that can give me some info? Thanks.

Edited by paulamur
We are definitely considering this unit (GPS60). The best prices I have found so far are from Ebuyer.com and bestoptionsdirect.com although I have never dealt with either place.

In another thread someone urged statying away from eBuyer.

I bought my GPS60 at megagps.com. The unit was shipped the next day, and I received it quickly via FedEx 2nd day (you have options if you need it quicker, or can wait).

I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum and a GPS60, and other units. I have used my 60 in the woods over the Magellan since the day I got it. I have never lost signal in the woods. It takes waypoints very quickly and easily. I use another unit for mapping and other things, but I only use the 60 from my truck to the cache, and this is in East Texas, plenty of trees.