Small Caches Inside Larger Ones.

Grumpster

That sounds alot like a breeder cache.

Breeder caches are caches that people put out to help populate a relatively cache free area. Some breeder caches are filled with micros hat are ready to hide others simply ask that you place a cache in order to log a find.

Yes they're also known as seeder caches.

But instances occur where people will drop a ready made cache in a larger cache. I haven't seen it very often, but it's not that uncommon. I usually just take them, if I have something to trade for it.

Edited by Jokester
I usually just take them, if I have something to trade for it.

What do you do with them when you take them. Put them in another cache or place them somewhere your self as a new cache?

This was a regular cache I found it in, not a seeder cache.

Then I would treat it like any other trade item. Don't feel obligated to hide it anywhere if you don't want.

I usually just take them, if I have something to trade for it.

What do you do with them when you take them. Put them in another cache or place them somewhere your self as a new cache?

This was a regular cache I found it in, not a seeder cache.

I've put ready made caches in regular caches. The idea is for someone take it and hide it elsewhere, in their own name.

I've actually had the pleasure of finding one of my own ready made caches hidden by other people.

Ready to place caches are my commonest trade item. Usually micros, but also decons with log, stash note and a couple of modest trade items. The intent is that the user take it and create their own hide. I've seen a number of these come back to me as new hides.

I changed out a number of decon canister hides for ammo cans last winter, in all cases leaving the original decon in the ammo can as a cache goodie. They're always the first item taken (unfortunately for me, by an out of state couple who followed me around as a made those changes- but I'm sure it was good for their local area).

Probably the best thing is to ask the cache owner. Everyone else here is only speculating. Sometimes, the other container is actually the letterbox part of a letterbox hybrid for instance.

We're not speculating. He said it was a "small cache".

Whatever. It won't be the first time someone thought something was one thing and it was actually another.

I think the first sentence in that quote is still valid.

Most caches that are trade items are labelled as such, in my experience. The person who left the ready-made cache probably will want to say that they were the generous person who donated the decon container, camo'd micro, etc. So, I usually see a tag attached to the cache that says "This ready-to-hide cache was left here by Geocacher Joe. Please hide it in a good spot and send me an e-mail so I can go find it!"

I can think of at least two caches where a smaller cache container sits inside of a large container, and the smaller one is used as part of a hunt for a puzzle cache. It needs to be returned to the main cache at the end of the hunt. Again, it's labeled that way.

Read the directions.

While maintaining some of my caches recently I have found a number of film can micros complete with stickers, logbooks and mini pencils added as trade items. At first I too was a bit mystified as I couldn't find log entries that had left them. I know they were left by different cachers over a couple of months as I can track my maintenance.

Finally was told that a Colorado cache organization has encouraged folks to do this to increase the number of caches available. We get lots of Colorado cachers up this way.

Odd, if you ask me. I generally don't like most micros - and I certainly don't see many new ones appearing around here so the effect so far is null. But to each his own.

I use a ready to go cache as my sig item:

14f1b1d1-a039-4a75-8e4b-614e7f54bed0.jpg

When I trade something out of a cache that is what I leave (sometimes more than 1, depending on what I take). I also sometimes leave 1 or 2 behind in special caches. Don't much mind if people trade for it to keep or to place it or not. I do like to be notified if it does get placed so I can watch it tho.

Note: the picture above is about 1.75 times bigger than the actual item.

I set a cache like that once in and area in which there is a cacher that hides micros in areas that would support a reg cache., Only my cache was a large one with 4 reg size caches inside of it, each cache inside had a label that had a required distand to hide the cache from the larger one. Now there is not room foe micros in this open space area.

hide a cache cache

Edited by JohnnyVegas