Location Error In Gps 60c

Colquhoun

I haven't used my Garmin 60C for about a year.

I purchased it new and used it for geocaching about 4 times last summer/fall with success.

Now the readings are off.

I've tried two weekends in a row.

For example, when I set it in the same place on my deck that I set it when I first initialized it, it says that I am 0.24 miles from there.

I tried, unsuccessfully to geocache, but could never get close to the coordinates. I was always at least 100 feet from coordinates provided for the start of a trail or other known points.

Is there anything I can do?

Can I have it serviced? How? :D

This is what garmin sent to me when my gps 60c was acting up. It didn't fix my problem but it might help yours. The following is from there email;

Following are instructions on how to perform a Reset on your unit:

-Press and Hold the follow buttons: Page + Enter, and then power the

unit on. A prompt will then appear to clear all user data. Select

"Yes".

After the reset please place your unit outside so that it has a clear

view

of the sky for 25 to 30 minutes so that the unit can acquire new

almanac

data.

If this does not correct the errors that you are experiencing your unit

may

need to come in for repair.

Garmin is suggesting a "hard reset" to clear almanac data, followed by "baking" the unit to let it reload its almanac.

The 60C finds satellites by looking for them where it expects to find them. It "expects" to find them based upon data downloaded from the satellites themselves (called an "almanac"). Since your GPS has almanac data that is a year old, the satellites are nowhere near where it thinks they are.

A hard reset and a bake allows the unit to get new position data from the satellites, so it will know where to look. You should be pleased with the accuracy after that.

Thank you, I checked and it is, under unit setup, WGS 84.

Darn. Well, all I can suggest is that you contact Garmin again. I found their customer support to be outstanding when I had a problem. Of course if you send your unit in for "repair" don't be surprised if you get a different refurbished unit back from them. Mine was NEW (like 2 weeks old) and I got an older one back - the serial number is lower so I figure it must be older. I also lost my InvisibleShield. However, the GPSr they sent me seems to work perfectly.

Garmin is suggesting a "hard reset" to clear almanac data, followed by "baking" the unit to let it reload its almanac.

I set my oven at 475° and put my 60C in for 30 minutes. It still doesn't work. In fact, I don't think it's EVER gonna work now! :laughing:

Your problem is that the GPSr's limit is 180°. Then you have to change hemispheres. :laughing:

Legal Notice: For those of you skimming and not reading this carefully, do not under any circumstances, actually put your GPSr in an oven, or otherwise subject it to conditions beyond its normal range of operation. Please consult your user's manual.

I set my oven at 475° and put my 60C in for 30 minutes.  It still doesn't work.  In fact, I don't think it's EVER gonna work now!  :laughing:

Your problem is that the GPSr's limit is 180°. Then you have to change hemispheres.

This story on Garmin's site indicates that it may still work after baking at 350° although they don't recommend it:

http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/adventures/story3.html

Looks like the case changed shape and I bet the waterproofing is shot but it's interesting that the electronics survived.