Identify This Snake

CamoCachers

not really geocache related, but i figured this would be a good place to find out what kind of snake this is.

i was out hanging a newly built birdhouse earlier. stepped off the ladder, turned around and seen this lil fellow try and strike at my bare feet!

i stood there for a few minutes just watching the lil guy, and was surprised he didnt run when i leaned in for a closer look. he stood up and tried striking at me! what a frisky lil feller! i have got to have 200+lbs on him :D

so i ran in to get the camera to snap a pic or two. he tried striking at me each time the flash went off. lol. bravest snake ever.

so then i grabbed a broom and shoooed him off before the dog decided to have a sniff and get his nose nipped. and the thing fled to under our shed. arrgghh, i wanted it to go next door.

anyways, im just curious what kind of snake it is. ive looked through a common snake lister for my state but none of the pictures matched. im located in southern indiana, fairly close to the ohio river.

backyard%20snake.jpg

Where I come from, we call it a Garter Snake.

thanks. that link had a much better desription than the one i looked at earlier. except it said non aggressive. this one was! guess it thought i was a big ole frog

sure was a brave lil guy. every other lil snake i see around runs as soon as it sees me. i usually only see the tip of its tail. getting to examine it fairly closely was a treat.

Well actually Garter snakes, like most snakes are non aggressive...unless you disturb it. Garter snakes although quite harmless can become very aggressive.

El Diablo

And if you pick one up it will general release a foul-smelling substance on you that is very difficult to wash off. Especially if you're in the middle of the woods with no soap and water. :D

Very good! What I found interesting is how unique a milk snake's markings can be based on its location.

I think it's closest to the Decatur County, IA photo (Well, 190 miles away from mine.)

http://www.herpnet.net/Iowa-Herpetology/re..._milksnake.html

By the way:

PROTECTED. It is illegal to kill or collect this species by law in Iowa. Milk snakes are common, but since they are very secretive, they are seldom seen

Edited by BlueDeuce

Milk snakes are common, but since they are very secretive, they are seldom seen

I can confirm this. I once questioned one for hours--couldn't get a thing out of him!

But seriously, many snakes vary widely in appearance across their geographic range. The can also vary in appearance by age, gender, and even time of year.

Well actually Garter snakes, like most snakes are non aggressive...unless you disturb it. Garter snakes although quite harmless can become very aggressive.

El Diablo

And if you pick one up it will general release a foul-smelling substance on you that is very difficult to wash off. Especially if you're in the middle of the woods with no soap and water. :huh:

You are not kidding, whew what a nasty smell!

Why shouldn't they be protected? It saddens me to see the number of snakes and even spiders that are needlessly killed because people view them as harmful.

I had a neighbor last year that killed a 6 foot King snake before I could stop him. His reason...It was part Copperhead. I wanted to choke him! :lol:

It seems that anything we don't know, or understand, we want to kill. Why is that?

Live...and let live.

El Diablo

Used to live in a tornado magnet, I mean mobile home, in Iowa and they lived under it but the herd. I had to crawl under there to fix the telephone line once and swore I would never do it again. THey look much much different when you are nose to nose with them. I don't care if they are non-poisonous, dead from a heart attack is the same dead as venomous causes!!! Had one that lived in the down spout of the rain gutters and would come out when you hit the spout. He was big and nasty. I think you can get an infection from them if they bite you.

Ron Gerth

Used to live in a tornado magnet, I mean mobile home, in Iowa and they lived under it but the herd. I had to crawl under there to fix the telephone line once and swore I would never do it again. THey look much much different when you are nose to nose with them. I don't care if they are non-poisonous, dead from a heart attack is the same dead as venomous causes!!! Had one that lived in the down spout of the rain gutters and would come out when you hit the spout. He was big and nasty. I think you can get an infection from them if they bite you.

Ron Gerth

They look even diferrent if you understand them. Yes...even non venimous bites cause infections, since they eat frogs, fish and mice, and even other snakes. The bacteria on their teeth cause the infections. The huge majority of people bitten by a snake was either trying to handle them, or stepped them. They are not aggressive by nature. They typically will not atttack what they can't eat. That includes venomous snakes.

With all that said. They hunt and eat disease carrying mice and rats. There has never been a case of a disease carrying snake.

El Diablo

Why shouldn't they be protected? It saddens me to see the number of snakes and even spiders that are needlessly killed because people view them as harmful.

That's just one more law that most people would have no idea about it existing.

How's this for an example: Several years ago the brush was being removed from around the building I worked in. I came out of the building to find dozens of small gopher snakes were being killed. I told them that they kill the mice and rats and I was told if I wanted to save them then I should haul them off. They gave me my complete break time and I managed to grab about 2 dozen of them. I lived in the county next to a creek and was going to let them go there.

My point being - they were killing the snakes. How were they to know what snakes are protected? They all look the same don't they! And IF there were a law against collecting snakes then I'd be breaking the law in my attempts to save them.

Sideline: I took the snakes home in one large paper bag and sat it down on the livingroom floor. When my wife came into the room and asked what I had, I said, "take a peek." She did. (censored stuff happened) After about 1/2 hour I managed to capture all the loose snakes and my wife finally got off the sofa from which she had been standing on. <G>

And the snakes lived fat and happy lives on all the field mice around my place.

Found my foot about 10 inches from the business end of one of these caching recently. It was about 3 feet long. I backed off carefully.

viridis-oreganus.gif

My job takes me under houses almost every work day. A couple of years ago I was doing a tight crawl and something caught my eye about a foot ahead - a large rattler. It was crawling away but parked itself in front of the opening. And here I was with a screwdriver, flashlight all alone under a house in the country.

I had more work to do under that house so I did kill the rattler. Later the owner said a couple of weeks earlier a grandkid got bit by one in the same area. He was happy I killed it. Sometimes you just don't have a choice.

They look even diferrent if you understand them. Yes...even non venimous bites cause infections, since they eat frogs, fish and mice, and even other snakes. The bacteria on their teeth cause the infections. The huge majority of people bitten by a snake was either trying to handle them, or stepped on them. They are not aggressive by nature. They typically will not atttack what they can't eat. That includes venomous snakes.

My question about that is what were they doing near enough my feet to be be steped on? :lol:

Thats very egocentric I know, but realistic I think.

I really don't like mice but when the rodent eaters around here get 4 or 5' and want to fight me for access to the garage or something in a shed, its time for it to go.

In my book, Yamahammer's Book on Snakes, there is only one distinction and one prefix to the sanke catagory, DEAD!

Dead Rattle Snake, Dead Garter Snake, Deaad Grass Snake, etc In other words, I don't take the time to identify it, look up the regulations or ask for it's name. If I don't have the equipment to kill it, I'm off to the races, (think Heisman Trophy stance).

:laughing:

In my book, Yamahammer's Book on Snakes, there is only one distinction and one prefix to the sanke catagory, DEAD!

Dead Rattle Snake, Dead Garter Snake, Deaad Grass Snake, etc In other words, I don't take the time to identify it, look up the regulations or ask for it's name. If I don't have the equipment to kill it, I'm off to the races, (think Heisman Trophy stance).

:laughing:

:lol: Your book is unacceptable.

I hope you dream about snakes every night for a year! :laughing::D

Edited by sept1c_tank

Sscanned down through most of the replies to this picture, and did some research of my own. It is a garter snake, specifically (I believe) it's called a Checkered Garter Snake (Thaumophis marcianus). At first I, too, thought it was a juvenile water moccasin/cottonmouth because they can be brightly colored when young, but you can see it has round eyes, not slit eyes which is one of the primary means of distinguishing poisonous snakes from non-poisonous snakes - the not the only means and not always a valid means. Coral snakes also have round eyes, but are brightly colored.

Anyway, I grew up between Cincinnati and Hillsboro, and despite what the books say, copperheads and cottonmouths are quite plentiful in that part of Ohio, so probably also in southern Indiana. Cottonmouths are one of the few snakes that are aggressive and will attack without any true provocation, so beware of any snake that stands up to you. The nice thing about a cottonmouth is he will generally open his mouth before moving or striking, and he has earned his name quite well.

Having done SAR for 9 years with a fairly well-known national volunteer organization, I have had to learn to spot potentially dangerous snakes in many areas of our country, and prudence is the way to go. Haven't run across any while geocaching - yet, but I'm new to this "sport" and am sure I will have close encounters with all kinds of wildlife in the future. I just remind myself that I'm in their "home," their guest and have to remember the rules - don't mess with their "stuff," try to be quiet and polite and leave when appropriate. Hope this helps some of the other newbies out.

Grey Dragon :laughing:

And here I was with a screwdriver, flashlight all alone under a house in the country. 

I had more work to do under that house so I did kill the rattler. 

The way that this is worded makes me have images of you chasing this thing around with a screwdriver and beating it to death. :laughing:

And here I was with a screwdriver, flashlight all alone under a house in the country. 

I had more work to do under that house so I did kill the rattler. 

The way that this is worded makes me have images of you chasing this thing around with a screwdriver and beating it to death. :laughing:

I didn't have to chase the snake. It coiled up in front of my escape route from under the house. Here I was, flat on my tummy (well, my rounded rocking tummy?) where I had to twist my head to look around i.e. no room under there. I spotted a short 4' board and used it to toss the snake aside then I got out of there fast! I've heard that a snake can only strike 2/3's of the length of thier body. I will say I was scared but I saw nothing else to try. My cell phone was useless in those hills. That snake was about 3 1/2' and almost as thick as my wrist. But the board worked. Anyway, the snake crawled back to near the opening and I still had work to do. I found something in the yard and killed the snake. No, I didn't blind the snake with the flashlight and then stab it with the screwdriver. (But that would make a nice story, wouldn't it :laughing:

I like snakes when they aren't a danger to me. My mother would get the shakes just looking at a picture of a snake and my wife isn't too much better.

Found this looking for an Altiods box: Log Page

This one crawled right by my bare leg and curled up in the weeds next to a creek. Heebie-jeebies! Looked like a copperhead or a maybe fat watersnake. Took a few pictures along with a DNF and after I got home and loaded the hi-res images, I saw the vertical pupils. Copperhead.

This one crawled right by my bare leg and curled up in the weeds next to a creek. Heebie-jeebies! Looked like a copperhead or a maybe fat watersnake. Took a few pictures along with a DNF and after I got home and loaded the hi-res images, I saw the vertical pupils. Copperhead.

Cool! It didn't seemed to be threatened by you.

This one crawled right by my bare leg and curled up in the weeds next to a creek.  Heebie-jeebies!  Looked like a copperhead or a maybe fat watersnake.  Took a few pictures along with a DNF and after I got home and loaded the hi-res images, I saw the vertical pupils.  Copperhead.

Cool! It didn't seemed to be threatened by you.

Must have just eaten. A snake that big would put me off for a bit.

I have had small snakes (1" diameter) cross my path, but never anything that big.

This one crawled right by my bare leg and curled up in the weeds next to a creek.  Heebie-jeebies!  Looked like a copperhead or a maybe fat watersnake.  Took a few pictures along with a DNF and after I got home and loaded the hi-res images, I saw the vertical pupils.  Copperhead.

Hard to tell what that snake is from the photo...but I can tell it's not a Copperhead. It's too dark. Copperheads are a very colorful snake. Here is a picture of one. Copperhead

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo