Going To My First Picnic

ATMS

We are going to our first picnic this weekend. ;) We are working to do 99 caches so that the event is #100. Do we log the meet & greet as #99 and the event as #100? Should I even log the meet & greet and the event? And do I log each cache we find there? It's not about the number for us, but we love to go back through the list and remember our caches and where they were at and stuff. Do you see where I am going with this or am I thinking too hard??? ;)

They are listed as two seperate events, so the M&G will be #99 and the picnic will be #100.

So...what about all the caches that are being placed for the picnic? I thought I came across a thread somewhere that hinted that it was wrong...

Thoughts?

If the caches are listed separately, that's no problem logging them all. Some folks frown on temporary caches placed for the event. To log these you'd just log the event for as many as you found. So if someone places 9 temporary caches for the event and you find them all, you'd like the event as "attended" 10 times (1 for the event itself, the other 9 for the temp. caches).

You'll find that many cachers (especially in the crowd you'll be meeting down there) rack up a lot of numbers by hitting the "Attended " button repeatedly for all the caches involved.

For some folks the smileys and numbers are all-important and that's just the nature of the beast. There are those who will visit, hit the "Attended" button once and be happy with the other caches at the event as 'just for fun.'

It's your call. This isn't a competition and sometimes the event caches are as challenging as any 'regular' hunt. Do what you feel comfortable with.

... and bring lots of cookies.

They are listed as two seperate events, so the M&G will be #99 and the picnic will be #100. 

So...what about all the caches that are being placed for the picnic?  I thought I came across a thread somewhere that hinted that it was wrong...

Thoughts?

That's still controversial.

Some think you log an attended event for each cache you find that was an event only cache. Others think that if the cache was important enough to log, it should be listed as a cache and logged that way.

My opinion is: Any cache not listed or listable on this site, shouldn't be logged on this site. That would include temporary event caches. There are plenty who agree, and plenty who disagree. You have to make up your own mind on the issue though.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Do you have the links for these events...I wanna go!!!

The InGeo fall picnic is going to be a lot of fun. Besides the event caches for the actual picnic event, the picnic planning team has hidden about 35 additional caches in the Madison IN area. Madison Indiana will be the place to be this coming weekend! Come out and join us! :huh:

2005 InGeo Fall Picnic

Official Picnic Website

InKy Geo - Campfire Meet & Greet

Some folks frown on temporary caches placed for the event. To log these you'd just log the event for as many as you found. So if someone places 9 temporary caches for the event and you find them all, you'd like the event as "attended" 10 times (1 for the event itself, the other 9 for the temp. caches).

I don't think anyone frowns on temporary caches placed for events. They are a lot of fun. What some people frown on is people padding their find count by logging multiple finds on a single event in the manner you mentioned.

I've seen that handled by logging multiple finds on a traditional cache. It's the same thing (logging permanent smileys on temporary caches), however it keeps the # of events attended correct. I did it the first time I attended an event with temporary caches - don't think I'd do it now. Though I don't feel strongly about it one way or another. I'm not seeing temporary caches at events lately in any case.

I haven't attended an event yet so I can't say what I will do, but I can't imagine logging it more than once.

I figure that I could log the event and fool anyone that looked at my stats, but since I'm likely the only one that looks at or cares about my stats I'd have to hit my head real hard to forget that I padded the stats like that. It's not worth the headache :laughing:

Decided to log the M&G for #99 and the Picnic as #100. We aren't going to log the event hides but if we do any of the cool new caches that the Team placed in Madsion I will count those!

Thanks for the input! Looking forward to a GREAT weekend! Hope to meet many of you there!

Some folks frown on temporary caches placed for the event. To log these you'd just log the event for as many as you found. So if someone places 9 temporary caches for the event and you find them all, you'd like the event as "attended" 10 times (1 for the event itself, the other 9 for the temp. caches).

I don't think anyone frowns on temporary caches placed for events. They are a lot of fun. What some people frown on is people padding their find count by logging multiple finds on a single event in the manner you mentioned.

The worst misuse of the "Attended" button I've ever seen was an entry in an event I saw a few months back ... I'll paraphrase ... "I couldn't make it to the breakfast but (*fill in name of one of the event organizers*) said I could have the caches." ... The person then racked up several "Attended" smileys ... THAT bothered me.

Good luck and great fun to all the cachers everywhere having fun activities that I can't be a part of.

Work sucks.

Edited by Torry
Decided to log the M&G for #99 and the Picnic as #100. We aren't going to log the event hides but if we do any of the cool new caches that the Team placed in Madsion I will count those!

The M&G and Picnic are two seperate Events so you are thinking right. You would be messing up your own stats if you hit the attend button more than once just to claim a temporary cache. The temporary caches are for fun and they are not seperate events. How many times will you attend each Event? Only once, right!

Its not a big issue. Just saying that when i look at my own stats i want them to be accurate. If my stat shows 30 events attended then that is how many events i have actually attended!

You'll have a great time at those Events... :blink: