Protective Case

treebark

I highly recommend the InvisibleShield! It saved my screen from a really horrible scratch.

As for a case I use the Garmin case - it is just a carrying case and not one where you can "use" the GPSr while it is in the case. I have it hanging off my caching bag by a carabiner and when I'm not actually holding the unit I just pop it into the case and half zip it. It holds the unit very securly and I find it very handy to use. It seems most folks use the ones with the plastic window but I didn't feel I needed that and didn't want to use the unit through another layer of material.

I use a PDA screen protector on my GPS (photocopy your screen to use as a template to cut the protector to the right size) but no case. I couldn't stand using the buttons through the case and the screen is too glossy with the plastic from the case covering it. Even the screen protector bothers me a bit but better than a gouge to the screen. My GPS is still in great shape after a year and a half with no case.

;)

I found the web page that describes the Gillson case. Unlike the Garmin case that is described as being designed to simply store and transport the GPSr, the Gillson looks like the intention is for one to be able to use the GPSr in the case. I like the clip on the case as this will work nicely for clipping the GPSr to my fishing vest when I am wading in various rivers.

The question still remains, how easy is it to use the buttons while the GPSr is in the case. I have been a bit frustrated just using my big fingers on the 4-way rocker switch.

All I know for sure is I will never again trust the belt clip. The clip broke a while back and when the GPSr fell to the ground, the "clip" that holds the bottom of the battery case snug was damaged. The batteries do not fall out or anything like that, but I'm sure the GPSr is not as water resistant as it used to be.

The Invisible Shield that was mentions sounds like a GPSr version of the screen protector that I used to use on my palm pilot. I know I would not use the Palm pilot without one of those sheets after I tried them for the first time.

The question still remains, how easy is it to use the buttons while the GPSr is in the case.  I have been a bit frustrated just using my big fingers on the 4-way rocker switch.

All I know for sure is I will never again trust the belt clip.

I hate it.

Get the gc.com lanyard.

edit: and see my post above for a solution for your screen protector.

Edited by robert
I use a PDA screen protector on my GPS (photocopy your screen to use as a template to cut the protector to the right size) but no case. I couldn't stand using the buttons through the case and the screen is too glossy with the plastic from the case covering it. Even the screen protector bothers me a bit but better than a gouge to the screen. My GPS is still in great shape after a year and a half with no case.

;)

I'm with Robert on this one. I do the same thing.

I use a PDA screen protector on my GPS (photocopy your screen to use as a template to cut the protector to the right size) but no case.  I couldn't stand using the buttons through the case and the screen is too glossy with the plastic from the case covering it.  Even the screen protector bothers me a bit but better than a gouge to the screen.  My GPS is still in great shape after a year and a half with no case.

:D

I'm with Robert on this one. I do the same thing.

PDA screen protectors will work "sort of" to protect your screen The InvisibleShield will work MUCH better and give vastly improved screen protection. It doesn't come off ever unless you pull it off yourself and if you manage to scratch it all up (it will protect the screen from pretty massive scratching - I know this for a fact :D - the company will send you a free replacement. No limit on replacements. You get to keep the scratched up one until the new one arrives so you still have protection but then you must return the scratched one to verify that you aren't just getting a bunch of free replacements. The item costs $10 (sounds like a lot but it is well worth the money) and can be purchase here: http://www.theinvisibleshield.com/

I put a truely horrendous scratch in mine that would have utterly ruined the screen and the InvisibleShield protected the screen. No ordinary PDA screen protector would have saved my unit. $10 saved a GPSMAP 76CS - a very cheap save indeed!

I don't know maybe I'm lazy. But it is not because I'm too cheap to buy these inexpensive protective devices. I haven't used any thing to protect my gpsr screens. The eMap is 4 years and 850 caches old plus field work for my job and general map duty in the SAGEFOX vanagon. It has only two teeny weeny scratches that don't bother anything. My 60 is one year and 500 caches old and has zip scratches. (I plead to the gods that I am only reporting and not bragging here!) I just haven't been interested in covering the screen.

I've tried 2-3 different cases for my Garmin Vista.. Not to keen on any of them.

So, I use a neck lanyard.

But for screen protectors, my "Dollar" store have all kinds of different PDA

protectors, 10 for a dollar. !!

I buy them, cut to fit; use them for a couple of months; then off and on with the next one.

I bought an Otter Case for my Ipaq PDA, which great. Very useable thru the

flexible cover, but completely water proof and drop proof.