Congratulations

John Stead

Please don't get me wrong, as I quite understand cachers wanting to contratulate each other on passing milestones - but we debated this some time ago and a pinned topic for Congrats was set up.

However the new topics to congratulate individually are creeping back, when I last counted 11 of the last 20 were individual congrats.

Please could we get back to using the dedicated congratulation topic at the head of the page so that browsing of the general topics can be easier. :laughing:

Edited by John Stead

Typing as someone who passed their half-millennium today, I'd remind you of some other facts relating to the pinned congrats thread.

1) It was implemented as an experiment

2) After some time (several months, as I recall it) a vote was taken on whether it should remain the only place for congrats threads.

3) The vote (democratic organisation that the UK GC forum is. Most of the time) went strongly in favour of a return to individual threads.

4) Yes, they can be a bit annoying (especially for anything 'weak' - which is why I don't personally congratulate finders of 50. Or 350. Or 950) but they are easily ignored and mean a lot to the people receiving the congratulations.

5) Feel free not to post or respond to any 'Grats threads. That way you'll not be adding to 'the problem', at least.

Of course, should another vote be taken (I suggest no sooner than a year after the original one) and I've misjudged the mood of the forum, forgive me.

Simply (setting the record straight) Paul

Being a fairly new visitor to the Forum, I have to admit that I had been wondering why all these "Congratulation Messages" appear in the lower section when there seemed to be a "pinned" place for them up top.... So I think I'm with John S on this one...

......By the way, Congratulations on the 500, Simply Paul :laughing:

Edited by The Blorenges
1) It was implemented as an experiment

2) After some time (several months, as I recall it) a vote was taken on whether it should remain the only place for congrats threads.

3) The vote (democratic organisation that the UK GC forum is. Most of the time) went strongly in favour of a return to individual threads.

4) Yes, they can be a bit annoying (especially for anything 'weak' - which is why I don't personally congratulate finders of 50. Or 350. Or 950) but they are easily ignored and mean a lot to the people receiving the congratulations.

5) Feel free not to post or respond to any 'Grats threads. That way you'll not be adding to 'the problem', at least.

Paul is of course quite right but the "experiment" continued and the option to use the pinned thread is still there.

Maybe my memory is shaky but I thought that one of the suggestions in the previous discussion was sound, viz. that the first congratulation only be made in the general list of topics and then closed and further responses made in the pinned topic. That way congratulation can be enjoyed but not continually bumped up to the top of the list.

Now to go against my own suggestion - congratulations, Paul! ;)

Quick note , I prefer them in the main forum, they don't stand out if placed above, and its great to see how people are getting along... even though we are not numbers people. As others have said just don't go into them if you don't like them. (Congrats Paul by the way) and all the best John. Cheers MaxKim.

I for one am a bit tired of seeing endless congratulations on *** caches found.

I agree. After all, they're not really "Topics for Discussion".... I would find it easier to scan through them all, in the one pinned place, every so often, then add a note of Congratulations to all those who've had important milestones.

Then that would leave the "lower" section for all the really important issues - such as golfballs, calling cards, weird logs etc :D

I can't help feeling that the milestones should be significant so how about only have congrats threads at:

Waddayafink?

Chris

Hmmm... not sure about the stages....

we hit 200 this weekend, and to me, it was far more a milestone than 100.

I too would like to see any congratulations being put in the pinned section. I think that an exception would be the 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 achievements. I would think that most folks in the UK (agree there are exceptions) could easily reach 500 finds without too much effort - it may take time but is possible. Once you get to the 500 I think the player is taking it seriously and will then make endeavours to find more and more.

As for 100, 200, 300, 400, 600, etc I just don't see the point. A look at the forum shows that the Congrat items are only looked at by a couple of hundred people at the most and there is only a handful of replies to each one. It's also a bit cliqueish in that it seems, as a general rule, to be the same people patting each other on the back - a bit of a "me too" syndrome.

Charles

(with an insignicant 200+!!!)

I would think that most folks in the UK (agree there are exceptions) could easily reach 500 finds without too much effort - it may take time but is possible. Once you get to the 500 I think the player is taking it seriously and will then make endeavours to find more and more.

Hello? 'Easily' and 'without too much effort' don't reflect my experience of caching. This might be true in some parts of the US blessed with powertrails, but even 100 shows true commitment and a large investment of time, effort and money. If you need 500 to take the sport/game/hobby 'seriously' (possibly a mistake in itself!) what's someone with 499? A fair-weather, fly-by-might, half-hearted, hobby-cacher? I don't think so.

Let's all pause a moment and think back to our first 100 caches. It might be a while ago for some folks, but I'm sure you can recall the sense of achievement (and possibly relief) having got there. 200 gets you onto the bottom rung of the Hall of Fame. That's worth going for and celebrating too.

SP

But it's not like an email which gets dumped on your PC - when you scroll down the threads you can surely decide not to read the congrats if you don't want to?

Geocachers are among the friendliest people we've met so lets keep it fun and friendly. If someone wants to offer congrats then let them do it..

. Once you get to the 500 I think the player is taking it seriously and will then make endeavours to find more and more

I'm afraid that is a elitist attitude! My O/H recently reached 100th find and I started a congratulations thread for her. The 100th was the equivalent of 1000 to her as she suffers from CFS (Chronic fatigue Syndrome), NEAD's (Non elipeptic Attack Disorder) and sever Arthritis. During searches for caches, I've had to manage her NEAD's attacks (which takes the form of either Blackouts or Regression to a 4 year Old State). Yet by your comment you seem to think that neither of us is taking Geocaching seriously, as I've yet to reach 300 finds! I've produced 2 documents that can be found in the pinned resources thread, I'm extremely vocal about obtaining Permission for caches, and also about contraband in them. I've got a unique event coming up on Saturday, was the instigator of the other unique event liked to it, and I was the first person in the UK to organise a CITO event. Taking Geocaching seriously has nothing to do with the No of finds, it is to do with the amount of personal commitment that you put into the hobby!

Everyone who reaches a goal, whether it is 100, 200, 500 or 1000 finds deserves their own congratulations thread. As they've put the effort in reaching those goals. I find the Pinned Congratulations Thread to be extremely cluttered, in that it is extremely hard to see who has congratulated whom. Many of the congratulations I post go to cachers who I have not yet met. Yet it is great to be able to congratulate them individualy for reaching their goal, and not just putting it on a list in one post in the pinned thread which is totally impersonal.

End of Rant and Personal oppinion!

Dave

well said dave.i myself have just reached my 110th cache and i feel proud to have reached that.

i also have congragulated people who i dont even know but i just want to wish them well on there achievement'

and yes the pinned thread is to cluttered to find the name you want so amen to all you have said

and while were on about congragulating people well done to your better half what an achievement she should be proud of herself. :huh:;):D:D

:huh: it's taken me an age to reach my 100th cache as I only get a couple of days a month to grab em so I ended up posting my own thread on not being able to log the darn thing!!(and I did get a few congrats out of it)

I think congrats are a good thing if not just to show that cachers are patting each other on the back for reaching milestones and showing a very neighbourly attitude.

I personally like the idea of individual well dones as it add a boost to finder's to get out and bag their next ton or grand in the case of M1EYO etc.