?'s On Lowrance Map Create And Gps's

Markncrys

Hello everyone. I am wondering what Map Create can do for custom maps.

Here is what I am wanting. I ride ATV alot of here and I am wanted to combine routes or tracks or whatever from different days together to eventually show all the ATV trails I have been on together on one map. So when I go back out I can look at the map and see where the next right turn goes or whatever. Does Map create do that or any other software? I don't have a GPS yet but I am thinking I am going to get a Lowrance one.

Do you really need Map create? I hear everyone talking about these different programs. What do they do. I think one was Ozyexplorer or something. Sorry I am new to all this.

I was thinking about the Ifinder H20 since it was water proof. What about the Pro instead. I know it isn't water proof but what is the IPX2 standard for water.

Thanks for any and all answers. :laughing:

Hello everyone.  I am wondering what Map Create can do for custom maps. 

Here is what I am wanting.  I ride ATV alot of here and I am wanted to combine routes or tracks or whatever from different days together to eventually show all the ATV trails I have been on together on one map.  So when I go back out I can look at the map and see where the next right turn goes or whatever.  Does Map create do that or any other software?  I don't have a GPS yet but I am thinking I am going to get a Lowrance one. 

Do you really need Map create?  I hear everyone talking about these different programs.  What do they do.  I think one was Ozyexplorer or something.  Sorry I am new to all this.

First, what MapCreate gives you, is the detailed map on the screen of your iFinder (for iFinder it's only Topo maps now). Each vendor makes it's own maps and they are not compatible with other vendor's units. If you think you don't need it - don't buy it. Custom in this case means custom area. And, of course, you can see you tracks on the map (on PC and on GPSr). I prefer to look on my tracks using Google Earth (after converting Lowrance *.USR file format into *.gpx) or you can use OziExplorer or GPS TrackMaker (both can accept Lowrance *.USR file format directly).

If you have your previous track on the screen of your GPSr, you can follow it and yes, you can see where is the next turn. You also can create a trail to follow beforehand (on PC using MapCreate or other programs or on GPSr) as a sequence of the waypoints and use it in your GPSr. In either case your GPSr can alarm that you are close to the turn point.

I was thinking about the Ifinder H20 since it was water proof.  What about the Pro instead.  I know it isn't water proof but what is the IPX2 standard for water.

You can find some information on different IPX standards in this document on page G-5:

http://www.usautomation.com/PDFs/OM_Genera...tyStandards.pdf

Edited by Hoary

Someone was kind enough to send it to me when I asked, so here is the list of IPX standards.

IPX0- No degree of protection against water.

IPX1- Protection against water drops falling vertically. Water drops falling at a rate of 3 to 5 mm/min from a height of 200mm for 10 minutes.

IPX2- Protection against water drops falling vertically over a 15 degree range. As above, but protected against water coming from angles as much as 15 degrees from vertical.

IPX3-Protection against water drops falling vertically over a 60 degree range. Water drops falling over a 60 degree range at a rate of 10 liters/minute from a height of 200 mm for 10 minutes.

IPX4- Protection from spray of water from all directions. Water sprayed from all directions from a distance of 300 mm to 500 mm at a rate of 10 literes/min for 10 minutes.

IPX5- Protection against jets of water from all directions. Jets of water sprayed from 3 meters from all directions at a rate of 12.5 liters/min at a pressure of 30kPa for 3 minutes.

IPX6- Protection against strong wave-like jets of water. Jets of water sprayed from 3 Meters from all directions at a rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100 kPa for 3 minutes.

IPX7- Usable after immersion in water under fixed conditions. Immersion to a depther of 1 Meter for 30 minutes.

IPX8- Usable under water. Determined through cooperation between user and manufacturer.

Hope that helps. Basically, the higher the IPX number, the more water resistant it is.

Is there a way to add tracks or routes into a base map so I can see where all the trails I ride on are at? If I ride say 20 different days and have 20 different routes, can I overlap them all onto a base map so I can see where all the trails I have rode my ATV on and so there. I guess it would be just like added roads to a map. Since the base maps won't show all the logging roads and atv trails. Can you do that with map create? Almost sounds like something Map create can do but since I have never used it I have no idea.

Is there a way to add tracks or routes into a base map so I can see where all the trails I ride on are at?  If I ride say 20 different days and have 20 different routes, can I overlap them all onto a base map so I can see where all the trails I have rode my ATV on and so there.  I guess it would be just like added roads to a map.  Since the base maps won't show all the logging roads and atv trails.  Can you do that with map create? Almost sounds like something Map create can do but since I have never used it I have no idea.

I have the Black-N-White PhD, Mapcreate 6, and Oziexplorer. I have been overlaying all my tracks to produce maps of all the trails I ride on my Dirtbikes. Here is the 'lowdown'.

Mapcreate 6 - Ability to download Topo Maps to the GPS and have them display on the GPS screen. Detail is pretty good, some backwoods roads are shown. Basic waypoint, Route and Icon editing is all possible. Track editing is not possible with this software. I have noticed some bugs in the editing side of software. City, Steet locations, and Business location and telephone listings were 'better' than expected. Query capabilities of the GPS's information is also quite nice. Mapcreate 6 is therefore great if you want to have a topo map visible on your GPS's screen, Highly detailed street names, business location & address info are all available on your GPS. But for editing tracks, it sucks. Is it worth the $125.00 CDN, I would have to say YES.

OziExplorer - Ability to edit all GPS data is possible. I find it a little cumbersome, but at least it gets the job done. It can produce a lowrance PhD readable USR file (Waypoints, Tracks, and Icons/Events). But it cannot download TOPO or BASE maps into the Newer Lowrance iFinder GPS's. So the Ozi Explorer is what I use for editing tracks, waypoints, and icons/events.

Regards,

---- MegaMapper ----

Edited by megamapper

Megamapper,

So if I want to combine multiple tracks and put them on a base map I still need map create. Is there a way for you to show me an example of the maps you made vs the normal maps? It sounds like your doing exactly what I want to do. If there is a way for me to view them on the PC you can email me the files and tell me what I need to view them. Markncrys@hotmail.com is my email. Thanks

Mark