Geocoins On Ebay

Shop99er

Probably already been said, but beware "RARE" coins. Some of them aren't so rare. The ones I know off the top of my head are the MiGO coins, regular edition. They will be back in stock in the MiGO store in mid-November at the regular price of $7.00 + shipping. They are going for $28+ on Ebay. Anyone with patience can get 4 for that in about 3 weeks.

The seasonals *are* rare, only 100 of each were minted this year.

Besides, some of those rare Michigan coins are actually last year's coins that aren't trackable on gc.com.

Go to eBay, and seach Geocoins. You will be amazed.  :blink:

I find it interesting that there were no Geocaching names over there that I recognize. Or, rather than letting their ID's be shown, they use the bid privacy feature....

I have a few coins on ebay right now but I use my geocaching name there too (switched it over in January this year).

Midwest Geobash Coin

MiGO Winter Coin

I don't use my geo-handle because it was long gone well before selective activation was turn off. My eBay handle is homebrew1. I have sold a couple of USA geocoins and my Legend. I currently have two consecitive numbered USA coins up for sale. I wonder if that's a good hook or not.

AtlantaGal, you couldn't change to that if you wanted to. eBay shows that handle was taken a mere 7 years 1 month ago. Like me, that was during the days (or is it daze?) of selective activation.

Here's a question for the masses, would it make any difference to you if I put my cache handle in the discription? I have a perfect 150 feedback rating. Would knowing my caching handle help me or does my feedback stand on its merit?

Edited by Husker
AtlantaGal, you couldn't change to that if you wanted to. eBay shows that handle was taken a mere 7 years 1 month ago. Like me, that was during the days (or is it daze?) of selective activation.

Here's a question for the masses, would it make any difference to you if I put my cache handle in the discription? I have a perfect 150 feedback rating. Would knowing my caching handle help me or does my feedback stand on its merit?

I suspect that the geo-handle would help.

The reason nobody would use their caching name is the stigma.

On the other hand, as geo-coins become recognized as a new area of exonumia, they are going to get incredibly popular. I'm not sure what that's going to do, but people selling coins are giong to have to decide if they are only going to sell to geocachers, or all comers.

Since the topic was bumped, I went ahead and re-read it.

RK, my hats off to you for your accurate prediction...the question is, did you ever imagine the prices some of these coins have sold for?

On the other hand, as geo-coins become recognized as a new area of exonumia, they are going to get incredibly popular. I'm not sure what that's going to do, but people selling coins are giong to have to decide if they are only going to sell to geocachers, or all comers.

RK, my hats off to you for your accurate prediction...the question is, did you ever imagine the prices some of these coins have sold for?

I briefly read through some of these old posts. Ebay was around way before GC.com so it reasons to stand that many ebayers/geocachers would not have the same id. Then there are people like me who use the same name for everything :laughing:

Figured since someone felt the need to dredge up these threads, I'd post :laughing:

Edited by tsunrisebey
:laughing:

I guess I'll only start putting coins into caches if I find an item worth .... oh, $20-$50 in it!

Sheesh! No wonder coins make terrible travellers. I'll have to be careful which caches I place coins into and how I log my trades.

I think folks somehow feel odd selling coins in eBay and don't use their real names (which actually isn't a bad idea for security reasons beyond geocoins).

As long as they got the coins legitimately (found non-travellers, traded, bought) then I have no problem with them selling them. I'm unlikely to bid on any coin and the only coin I *would* bid on I would likely never win -- my personal level of obsession and insanity, while quite high, is not that high.

I am willing to guess that an original Moun10Bike would go for about $300-$400

Why spend thast much when you can get reproductions made for the same price. I see no copy right patents.

Just a observation thats all...

When I had my Ultimate Sacrifice coin Tag made I was told (and printed this all out,) That there was no way for some one to use the cut die or have any made unless it was by me. So there must be something that gives you the copy right. If and when I decide to sell my coin tags on ebay I have had the handle of Haneyandwife for years and Im not about to change it to my geocache name. I would put my geocache nic in the ad for the coin as I have nothing to hide. But a lot of geocachers who sell on ebay have had their acounts for many years and are not about to change it now. I'm trying to change my nic on geocaching due to the fact that my web site and my nic just does not go togather Since half the world knows what my nic says. It's just not appropriate for my site, But I would not change my ebay nic. Thanks Dilligas45

30 or 40 bucks is easy to see for some coins. Why any one coins hits that isn't always so clear. When moun10bike hit such a high note, that was a suprise. I knew it would go for more than most. How much more was the suprise.

When I had my Ultimate Sacrifice coin Tag made I was told (and printed this all out,) That there was no way for some one to use the cut die or have any made unless it was by me. So there must be something that gives you the copy right.

You do own, and have all rights to the dies that you paid for...what the original post was referring to was the fact that someone could potentially take a coin, and have another mint copy the design. I don't know much about copywright laws...but I seem to remember something about artists rights on original work being posted in the past...

I guess I fail to see what is so wrong with selling coins. I'm not ashamed, I use my nickname as part of my seller id.

I sell some of my coins on eBay and I've seen a number of my coins resold there. I was happy to see them go for as much as they did!

I don't sell personal coins I trade for, but if I paid money for a coin I should be able to sell it for money unless reselling is forbidden as part of the buying agreement. If I can sell it for more than I paid for it, then it is that much better, I can go buy more coins! :laughing:

I don't sell personal coins I trade for, but if I paid money for a coin I should be able to sell it for money unless reselling is forbidden as part of the buying agreement. If I can sell it for more than I paid for it, then it is that much better, I can go buy more coins! :laughing:

I don't think you will find anyone in here that will disagree with that statement. (Of course, now someone will disagree just to prove me wrong!) :laughing:

I think that if we sell the coins on E-Bay, otherwise known as Flee-Bay, we are making the situation worst. If you want to sell a coin sell it to someone that is a cacher. Someone on here. I also use a metal detector and love finding old tokens. But the best way to drive their value up is selling on Flee-Bay. BTW, I know one guy that has come across 5 geocaches with his metal detector. The last one he took a Susan B. Anthony dollar coin. He doesn't put anything in either.

Terry

BTW, I know one guy that has come across 5 geocaches with his metal detector. Terry

That's funny!

I was at Harbor Freight last week, (A discount tool place). They had those hand-held wands like they use to check for weapons at different venues. They were on sale for $24, so I bought one! I was hoping it might help find bison tubes hanging in large bushes...I haven't had a chance to try it out yet!

BTW, I know one guy that has come across 5 geocaches with his metal detector. Terry

That's funny!

I was at Harbor Freight last week, (A discount tool place). They had those hand-held wands like they use to check for weapons at different venues. They were on sale for $24, so I bought one! I was hoping it might help find bison tubes hanging in large bushes...I haven't had a chance to try it out yet!

Now that is too funny! I can see it now in the headlines "Crazy Person Assaults Bush With Metal Detector"

Jayman11

Reading the beginning of this thread was interesting. My ebay name and caching name are different. Established the ebay prior to caching.

Why I bid for ebay coins: Have initiated trades with no initial response. Email repeatedly. Some finally answer, other don't. Trying multiple routes.

I would rather trade directly than the ebay process.

How many times would you want to be bothered with an email?

Wish that if someone doesn't want to trade to at least say so.

So why ebay: because I can. Have an insane desire to get all of the geocoin club coins till present.

Accordiongal

You'll probably see me on Ebay from time to time (like every day!)...I go by: go_jaybee (original, huh?)

I bid on stuff that I've missed or older coins that I just want extras of. Sometimes it's like a poker challenge to see if I can bluff the other bidders into folding. At times that works, and other times it does'nt :D .

In fact, just yesterday, I bid on one of my own Personal Coins (which BTW were never for sale)...and won! Foolish me.... :laughing: I also won a pdxmarathonman coin which I may just send to him (shhhhh...don't tell him...I want it to be a surprise) :anitongue:

Wonder why they don't use thrir GC names over there?

[edit--spelling]

I have been using eBay for longer than I have been geocaching - in fact, I've been registered on eBay for longer than geocaching has been around. I actually use my real name on eBay. When I started geocaching I took a while to think about a user name that fit another hobby (collecting transportation tokens).

I believe "rare" is probably the most overused word on Ebay, even outside of Geocoins. It really is buyer beware on Ebay, market knowledge and a few minutes of research on the web would avoid many situations where buyers overpay, but I always find it amazing how so few people seem to invest the time to do this!

I too have a different ebay name than our caching name. As it has been said before, ebay name came before we even started caching. I am selling some of our personal coins on ebay. We needed to make back some of the money spent on having them made. And I don't know how else to do it other than ebay. I love our coins and am very glad that we got to have them made. And as far as I can tell the purchasers have been very glad to get to have one as part of their collection. That part makes me feel good - that they get happiness out of it. How high the price goes depends on th person bidding. Some people just seem to want a coin really, really bad and will pay whatever for it (not ours - LOL). That is not the seller's fault. Here in NM I have never found an unactivated geocoin for swag in a cache. So unless I purchase or find someone online to trade with, I would never get any coins. And here in the forums the coins seem to get sold out before I can get an order in, so ebay has been a place for me to purchase coins to add to my collection. There are many that I bid on and don't get because I refuse to pay more than $12 for a coin and even that price is saved for the ones that I think are really cool. So anyway, that is my 2 cents.

Jaime

Ebay is where I got my very first Geocoin unfortunatley...But I just had to have one of my own after finding one in a cache! It was my Masters of Cache and I loved it and still do! Didnt know where to go and just went to see if there were any on Ebay...Sure enough...A bunch of em!

I use my Geonick as my username and dont feel a need to hide anything, if I was to sell a coin on there as I was almost prepared to do to rid myself of like at least 50-70 for financing of my own coin I would do so with my username...That was my username before I discovered Geocaching.

I think some may have started Ebaying prior to caching as stated or simply would rather not be known as the guy who may swipe up a few extras to sell...we all have seen where that goes!

As all the reasons to come up with, I am sure they apply to why they are how they are.

That's funny!

Good luck with that! <_< His detector cost around $800.00.

Terry