Geocoins On Ebay

Shop99er
Followers 2

Go to eBay, and seach Geocoins. You will be amazed. ;)

I find it interesting that there were no Geocaching names over there that I recognize. Or, rather than letting their ID's be shown, they use the bid privacy feature.

I have no doubt that the sellers are cachers, and am pretty sure the buyers are too.

Wonder why they don't use thrir GC names over there? :laughing::)

[edit--spelling]

Edited by Shop99er

:laughing:

I guess I'll only start putting coins into caches if I find an item worth .... oh, $20-$50 in it!

Sheesh! No wonder coins make terrible travellers. I'll have to be careful which caches I place coins into and how I log my trades.

I think folks somehow feel odd selling coins in eBay and don't use their real names (which actually isn't a bad idea for security reasons beyond geocoins).

As long as they got the coins legitimately (found non-travellers, traded, bought) then I have no problem with them selling them. I'm unlikely to bid on any coin and the only coin I *would* bid on I would likely never win -- my personal level of obsession and insanity, while quite high, is not that high.

I am willing to guess that an original Moun10Bike would go for about $300-$400

people selling coins are giong to have to decide if they are only going to sell to geocachers, or all comers.

Yeah, you'd think. You'd also think that if something was offered for sale on ebay, it would be FOR SALE. I was even asked to retract my bid, that he had changed his mind, it was worth more than that to him, etc. :laughing:

I think I'm Guamo or something weird like that -- established before Geocaching. I may need to sell some sets of my extra organization coins. I want to do a personal one, but my wife has already hit the roof on all the money I've spent collecting. :laughing: If it's a matter of selling coins to fund coins, I'm not going to feel too guilty about it (especially if my hide is more at risk at home than within the caching world). ;)

I think many eBay folks have different user IDs on eBay because they were established on ebay long before Geocaching existed. Well, at least that's my excuse. My ebay id isn't AtlantaGal, that's for sure.

Exactly, same here.

I bid on and won a GOWT coin, paying much more than it is worth, mainly to try to keep it "in the family." Unfortunately, he apparently has multiple extras! :laughing:

Edited by Spencersb
On the other hand, as geo-coins become recognized as a new area of exonumia , they are going to get incredibly popular.

I'll get back to you with an opinion, once I figure out what you just said. :laughing:

C4

exonumia is pretty much all coins that are not money.

Military Challenge Coins.

Tokens.

And other junk.

check out www.exonumia.com. I found it on accident when looking for coin makers. They had a heck of a list of them.

QUOTE (Cornerstone4 @ Sep 2 2005, 12:47 PM)

On the other hand, as geo-coins become recognized as a new area of exonumia , they are going to get incredibly popular.

I'll get back to you with an opinion, once I figure out what you just said. 

C4 

exonumia is pretty much all coins that are not money.

Military Challenge Coins.

Tokens.

And other junk.

check out www.exonumia.com. I found it on accident when looking for coin makers. They had a heck of a list of them.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Although the coins have to "face value", they definitely have a 'perceived value."

It's just that sometimes the perception is a little distorted. :laughing:

C4

I'd actually LIKE to see some of the older rarer coins listed on eBay. It would give folks a chance to buy a coin they could never trade for. The key element though is that the coin should have been been gained legitimately.

I, for one, would be exceptionally displeased if someone found out I had a personal coin, then followed me to all the caches I logged, and then sold my coin on eBay.

Philisophically, once an item is in a cache its in a cache. It can be traded for a stick and the trader is now the "owner". That "owner" can now do whatever they want with their property (including selling it on eBay).

Was it a fair trade? no. (trade even, trade up). Was it ethical? I don't think so. Was it illegal? Nope. not according to either rules or law.

In fact, it would stink!, but some folks are opportunists.

If this began to happen, I would pretty much stop placing coins in caches on a very frequent basis -- I have no desire to add to the economic well-being of other cachers at my personal expense.

It get's even trickier. What if you stumble across an original Moun10Bike coin? You trade it for another coin. (coin for coin -- fair). Then you sell the one you found on eBay -- you are going to CASH IN! Of course, aren't these coins *supposed* to travel, but you can keep it if you want? Does that mean you can also sell it if you want?

Personally, I will only ever sell coins that I BOUGHT or TRADED for in eBay auctions (and I'm thinking of it). Anything I found will not be sold by myself. If people start selling my personal coin -- I will never do another, or hide them except as FTF or in caches where you'll burn 30,000 calories and $300 in gas to get to! :laughing:

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

no hiding here. i bought 20 2004 ca coins when they came out and 10 2005 ca coins as well as 4 2004 washington and 3 brass alaska, ive sold a few of each so far and when the last one i have up is sold im done for now, i want to keep some for myself, but i also find i dont really place them in caches like i planned, so why not make some money from them and let others who dont have them buy them?

they are/were mine and unactivated.

kf6jax - cruggiero

Its a shame that the price for the coins has increased by so much, but I guess eBay is just really a true expression of supply and demand.  These things are just becoming very collectable.  I just wish I had paid closer attention and found out about some of the coin purchases earlier (i.e.) Texas so that I could have gotten a coin then.

:laughing:

The Texas one is still for sale:

Texas Geocoin

If someone gets my coin out of a cache they will have earned it. I figure they will rake in about 2.22 an hour for their time at eBay prices. It's like my nephew said when he was working two jobs at about 7 bucks an hour for 16 hours a day. "Wow, that's like 14 bucks an hour if it was one job!" It didn't make much sence then, and following me around for one of my coins wouldn't make a lot of sence either. But then some people work very hard to not work hard.

No I don't have a coin, that was just an example. Some day I'll have a coin though. Sooner of someone buys my POS Jimmy.

The retired 2004 Calif coin at $10 seems like a bargain, compared to the newly minted Ohio at $17. Do not know about the number minted. Interesting. I have 26 trade coins (duplicates, extras.) I still think I will keep them for a while. They can only increase their trade value in the future.

I just started collecting state coins, buying what was available (Alaska, Texas, N.C and MIGO). I bought the California coin and bid on lots more. Paying double the origional coin cost didnt bother me and maybe would go triple cost. The ones I really wanted (trackable in GC.com) sold for very high price.

Is Ohio coin actually worth more on the open market because it is trackable. To me it was. My limit was 10-12 dollars for state coin and 15-20 dollars for GC trackable coin.

If coins keep comming up I think the ebay price will drop. First GeoBash went for $47.50 Second coin (still in bidding) is $32 with 2nd highest bidder from first coin leading the bidding. Once you supply the few "got to have it" people, the price will drop.

Interestingly, there are no personal coins on sale at eBay as of this writing. While I could imagine non-cachers wanting to buy the state and local coins, it would likely be cachers buying personal coins -- of course, they are ussually in much lower supply.

One benefit that selling on eBay has is that it provides a value guage (to some extent) of a coins true value. For example, I have place 3 or 4 South Africa coins into caches. Based upon the current bid value for this coin, I would not likely do this with my last remaining extra coin. I would probably sell it on eBay and buy 4-5 new release coins (if available) and plut those in caches.

My biggest *fear* is that the value on eBay creates a value in the market that I am unwilling to pay. Specifically, most caching organizations do not use coin production as a for-profit generator. If they start going for 2-5 times their production cost on eBay, then there will be a temptation to do this.

Also, some organizations have decided to create coins for members-only. I like this idea, because I happen to be in an area with a very good organization. This means that as a "local" I can buy coins when they are produced and trade them easily for coins that I do not have -- a win-win situation. That trading economy would likely be perturbed by eBay (for profit) selling rather than trading.

Of course, I like the coins very much for some reason (and I even bid on the MIGO Seasonal coin I wanted) -- but there is a point of diminishing returns to me personally -- somewhere around $25 a coin (and that would have to be an exceptional coin). Normally, I would pay $5-10 per coin. (that stated, I did buy an Alaska Sillver and Gold -- but I do not feel I paid a premium -- I feel I paid a true cost)

I hope that eBay adds more good than bad to the trading/collecting of coins.

...that stated, I did buy an Alaska Sillver and Gold -- but I do not feel I paid a premium -- I feel I paid a true cost...

Yeah, that's because the Alaska Silver and Gold coins are solid .999 pure silver, not silver plated as most coins are.

Exactly -- I know that the price I paid for these coins involved no "mark-up" -- we were "included" in the deal -- not "sold" the product.

Maybe that's the thing about eBay -- eBay is about a Seller and a Buyer, while coin editions here on the site have been about cachers and fellow cachers.

eBay: "wanna buy my coin"

here: "I'm getting some coins made, you can get some at cost if you want"

I like it here better! :laughing:

I'll still go to eBay for those cases were I couldn't "get in" in the deal.

If someone starts using eBay and doesn't allow folks to get in on the deal (I'm okay if it's locals-only) -- then I'll do without (unless I can get it cheap).

I'm a geocoin collector -- not an investor or some sort of library of all coins ever made. So far, I've done very well trading and buying as part of the initial offering where I can.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog
people selling coins are giong to have to decide if they are only going to sell to geocachers, or all comers.

Yeah, you'd think. You'd also think that if something was offered for sale on ebay, it would be FOR SALE. I was even asked to retract my bid, that he had changed his mind, it was worth more than that to him, etc. :D

You might want to read up on eBay's policies. If you still have the e-mails of the conversations, you can probably nail the seller for not fulfilling his part of the contract.

It's another matter if eBay will actually do something about it, though. :D

He should have listed the Geocoin with a high reserve price.

The reason nobody would use their caching name is the stigma.

On the other hand, as geo-coins become recognized as a new area of exonumia, they are going to get incredibly popular. I'm not sure what that's going to do, but people selling coins are giong to have to decide if they are only going to sell to geocachers, or all comers.

No hiding here, my user name was established long before caching. On eBay I'm 2Build*net, and that's what my rating is tied to so I don't plan to change it. I have plenty of extra coins and plan to sell many of them. I doubt the prices would stay so high if more people sold coins, right now the supply is limited so the price is up.

:D

I guess I'll only start putting coins into caches if I find an item worth .... oh, $20-$50 in it!

Sheesh! No wonder coins make terrible travellers. I'll have to be careful which caches I place coins into and how I log my trades.

I think folks somehow feel odd selling coins in eBay and don't use their real names (which actually isn't a bad idea for security reasons beyond geocoins).

As long as they got the coins legitimately (found non-travellers, traded, bought) then I have no problem with them selling them. I'm unlikely to bid on any coin and the only coin I *would* bid on I would likely never win -- my personal level of obsession and insanity, while quite high, is not that high.

Why spend thast much when you can get reproductions made for the same price. I see no copy right patents.

Just a observation thats all...

Wonder why they don't use thrir GC names over there? :huh:;)

I don't sell coins on ebay but,

I've used ebay long before I've been geocaching, so my ebay name isn't associated with geocaching. That could be why other ebayers use different names.

In any case, I'll just stick with finding coins in caches and hope I'm lucky. :D

Why spend thast much when you can get reproductions made for the same price. I see no copy right patents.

I think that if you made a copy and tried to sell it that you would soon find the law against you. Although I am not a lawyer, I suspect that any item creatively made is considered to have the copyright held by the designer/creator.

Making a copy for personal use may or may not fall under the same laws.

;)

Sheesh!  No wonder coins make terrible travellers.  I'll have to be careful which caches I place coins into and how I log my trades. 

As long as they got the coins legitimately (found non-travellers, traded, bought) then I have no problem with them selling them.  I'm unlikely to bid on any coin and the only coin I *would* bid on I would likely never win -- my personal level of obsession and insanity, while quite high, is not that high.

Yeah, I can see where this trend can lead to. :huh:

;)

Sheesh!  No wonder coins make terrible travellers.  I'll have to be careful which caches I place coins into and how I log my trades. 

As long as they got the coins legitimately (found non-travellers, traded, bought) then I have no problem with them selling them.  I'm unlikely to bid on any coin and the only coin I *would* bid on I would likely never win -- my personal level of obsession and insanity, while quite high, is not that high.

Yeah, I can see where this trend can lead to. :huh:

Like I said its just a observation... I would not waste my money on something like that when I could use the money towards my own coins.

I do have a M10Bike coin for anyone that wants it. Its free. You just have to come to downtown Mosul,Iraq and find me while I am out on patrol :D .

I do have a M10Bike coin for anyone that wants it. Its free. You just have to come to downtown Mosul,Iraq and find me while I am out on patrol ;) .

Um.... I'll pass. :huh:

I'm pretty confident that the insanity will die down in about 4 months or so. I've seen this happen with other "collectables"

Like Beanie Babies? :D

No hiding here, my user name was established long before caching. On eBay I'm 2Build*net, and that's what my rating is tied to so I don't plan to change it. I have plenty of extra coins and plan to sell many of them. I doubt the prices would stay so high if more people sold coins, right now the supply is limited so the price is up.

So your the guy who got a ton of geocoins on ebay and getting rich! :huh:;) Unfair

Edited by fisherman28

So your the guy who got a ton of geocoins on ebayand getting rich! :huh:;) Unfair

Yeah, almost pays what I owe Nurse Dave for upcoming coin releases :D

One idea is a coin registry. Any numbered coin can be traked on a registry and a chain of "title" created. It's a lot of work for a 5 buck coin, but probably not so bad if the day comes our kids sell what coins we have for a small mint.

The idea has flaws, but is workable for a valuable coin, or coins meant to travel since you can look it up and see it's a traveling coin. The big flaw is when the owner dies on a cheap coin. Then what?

I put one on eBay with my username (_77 added is all) I got a good price so I also sent a personal coin as a bonus ($31 value :laughing:)

As a coin collector I like to seeing a market for the coins develope... even with non-cachers. Chances are fair that geocoins go along the way of Beanie Babies, a big fad that dies down... that seems to be the way of things.

I have a lot of extra geocoins... anyone looking for a coin that wants to pay a fair cash value (but not outragious eBay price) can email me and we'll work something out. Sorry, I can't sell my geocoins... it was my agreement with GC.com and I'll honor it.

Since the 2005 Ohio Geo Coins are all sold out and they are bringing a large price on e-bay. It would be nice if someone could make another Ohio 2005 Coin with another picture. I for one would buy them. The last one on e-bay went for $64.00. Thanks bickhart 814

$64 ? Wow - anybody who can match that can have mine 'now'.

I personally don't see a problem with selling coins on ebay. If you have extra, and people want to outbid each other, all is happy right? I know people buy coins for 7-10 bucks, only to list them to make a buck. Depends on how you look at it I guess. I MIGHT, list one or two of mine, but most are going to whoever preorders them, some to fellow cachers and most of the rest will be my signature item until I run out.

As far as ebay names and cacher names, I've had my ebay name alot longer then I've been caching. To sell extra coins here and there is ok I think,I only sell state coins but no personal coins. I know thats another whole subject. Most of my coins have been going overseas because I sell worldwide. Were not forcing people to pay the high prices, this its what the market bears. Its not the people on ebay causing this frenzy but everybody that orders coins, we've made them collectable's and which in turn drives the price up.

Probably already been said, but beware "RARE" coins. Some of them aren't so rare. The ones I know off the top of my head are the MiGO coins, regular edition. They will be back in stock in the MiGO store in mid-November at the regular price of $7.00 + shipping. They are going for $28+ on Ebay. Anyone with patience can get 4 for that in about 3 weeks.

The seasonals *are* rare, only 100 of each were minted this year.