Chancy Tb Mission

suz55tbird

My daughters and Girl Scout troop will be in England at an international camporee next summer, and I think it would be interesting to launch a TB now, with its mission to meet up with us there while we're there. Thought it would be great for all the girls to track it as they make their plans to reach their ultimate goal. I have read all the pinned topics about TBs and know there's no guarantee; hope you'll use this topic thread to tell encouraging stories about YOUR TBs that fulfilled their missions! ...and perhaps some more specific strategies that worked for you. Thanks!--Suz + girls. <_<

Ha Ha! I know what you mean. I created my own to place into caches as a neat item. I also buy ones I can to.... place in caches as a neat item

However, they have become a keepsake item - I keep one of each myself for Fun, but an not planning on trying to get the "complete"set. (of course, I do have about 50 of them).

The reason I have so many is because;

1) I bought some

2) I bought a bunch of local Calgary Silver coins and traded them

3) I created my own coin for caching and traded them.

In total, I've traded about 70 coins and placed about 40 into caches as my trade item. I like the fact they are small, durable, geocaching related. As Travel Bugs they are useless -people collect them.

As trade items, they are nice. (I even placed a gold Calgary coin into a cache - there are only 25 made and I probably "could" have traded it for much "loot", but I have one and one is all I need.) Also, if I find one I either trade for another one, or trade for a good item and contact the owner re: keeping or moving it,

I won a TB Dog tag at a cache event. So for kicks I found a rubber duck and sent in on a mission to get his photo taken with the Kremlin in the background. Then come home.

Since then I've moved. Russia started it's own Geoaching website so there are very few GC.com caches there. The Duck has been replaced once along the way, and he's never made it overseas. Once he escaped to Jamacia, but then he came back.

It's been several years. I'll keep waiting. At least he's still moving.

My daughters and Girl Scout troop will be in England at an international camporee next summer, and I think it would be interesting to launch a TB now, with its mission to meet up with us there while we're there. Thought it would be great for all the girls to track it as they make their plans to reach their ultimate goal.

Bright idea: buy a BUNCH of TBs tags and make them all have this same goal. Give the girls a choice as to what kind of object should be attached to each tag. The girls make bets as to which TBs will make it there first. Winner gets... I dunno... to be queen for a day, or something. <_<

Two of my 20 travel bugs have met international travel goals.

Since I started caching in 2002 I've released two bugs each fall in the city hosting the annual meeting of the Entomological Society of America. Their goal is to get to cities hosting future entomology meetings, preferably about the time of the meeting. Three of the six ENTSOC bugs released are now missing. This one had great sucess (after a trip to and from the TB graveyard) getting close to an annual meeting in Ohio and then finding it's way to Brisbane Australia for an International Congress of Entomology where it was in a cache less than a quarter mile from the convention center at the time of the congress. It came home to the USA but now has not been heard from since Febuary and may soon join the missing.

Another bug of mine had reaching London England as a goal and accomplished this in only eight months. Its goal is now to come home to Nebraska but it seems to be having a good time touring Europe.

Travel bugs lead precarious lives so your scouts might want to release several and hope that at least one reaches the goal. I always attach my own laminated tags with the bug's goal and Tb logging instructions.

NevaP

As an additional thought, you may wish to "theme" the travel bugs to make them appealing to the movers. I'm not sure where you are from, but thers is likely something your area is famous for (I'm from a place where we have the Rocky Mountains, Banff National Park, Oil, Dinosaurs -- real LIVE ones <-- okay, just kidding).

By theming the item to *connect* it to the goal or the sender, it becomes more than an odd item with a dog tag on it -- it adds some value to the experience of everyone that moves it along its way.

Two of my 20 travel bugs have met international travel goals.

I always attach my own laminated tags with the bug's goal and Tb logging instructions.

As in the pinned "longevity clinic", I plan to put instructions on it (them). This is probably why you had a 10 percent success! Thanks for the inspiration!

By theming the item to *connect* it to the goal or the sender, it becomes more than an odd item with a dog tag on it -- it adds some value to the experience of everyone that moves it along its way.

Yes, I can see that with the TBs I've found, too. Our favorite was a tiny tiger attached to a dog tag (Cadiddles State Hopper), the reason being that the local high school's mascot is a tiger--it allowed us to have a great time with it, taking photos, and visiting the mascot, etc.

So, I thought of putting something "Girl-Scouty" on them (yes, I'm now thinking one for each girl--that would be about 16 of them!), the "Girl Scout" theme is friendly, right?, but I wonder what else? We're traveling from New Mexico to the New Forest in Hampshire, England. Maybe a plane or other travel icons? Maybe encourage online logs that tell about what the TBs have seen along the way? What do you think?

Hey, great idea! I think the fuzzy animals attached to tb tags get all dirty and nasty looking. Don't use them. What about attaching a Girl Scout badge to them, or how could you attach a photo to the tags? Laminate them? A picture of the whole group looking friendly and waving would make people want to help the tbs, maybe?