Logo!?

foxtrot_xray

So.. I noticed in the store today that the "waymarker"'s have a logo now, and have a sticker available for marking their stuff...

How come the benchmarkers don't have a logo? Of all the things I refuse to put on my vehicle, if we had one, I'd do that. I'd like to see another benchmark hunter drive by, able to identify them.

We're a smaller group than the geocachers (me, personally, am not a fan of geocaching.. but benchmark hunting, sure), and a more.. tightly knit one, I'd say. While I don't post that often, I do stop by and read, see wht others are up to.

I can't draw to save my life, but I have a friend who can.. If there'd be interest, I can look into it.. or if anyone else is already working on it, then I'll hold off..

Just a thought..

Me.

Good idea!

I'm not very artistic either, but it seems the design should somehow evoke a tranditional benchmark disk. Because of the history behind benchmarks, I would think a retro look might be appropriate.

And of course there should be a $250 penalty for removing a benchmark logo sticker. ;-)

-ArtMan-

I was thinking either a side effort (yeah, on cafepress), or, if Grounspeak wanted to help/pitch in...

If I got something thrown together, and ended up getting something on Cafepress (or another site), I'm pretty sure I'd not make any money off of it - that's NOT my intention here!

I'll get in touch with my graphic artist, see what she can pump out, and I'll toss a few ideas up here. I like the link to the NGS page.. very handy. :laughing:

Fox.

Very nice designs! If nothing else is formally submitted for our approval, I could go with the volunteer one.

If I would change anything, I think I'd like to emphasize the volunteer thing by changing the color. Maybe in red? Sorry for altering your design so crudely. It looked better as a .bmp file before uploading it as a .jpg.

4432cade-a2b6-415a-94cb-ecc8bffe8fcb.jpg

Edited by Neo_Geo

Well, got with a friend, and he's thinking up different ideas for a logo. One idea that is being tossed around is something with a ftandard background, with a couple designs in the foreground. The background is still being worked on, but for the foreground, a few perspective designs (rough draft, sorry!):

bm_logo.gif

So, depending on one's preference, we could have one of two or three designs (the bottom right is being tossed out) on a similar background.

I had him include the Coast mark (the circle-cross) for those that hover around beaches. (I'm semi-landlocked, so..)

Lemme know what you think, or toss other ideas out there and let me know.. :laughing:

Fox.

The disk-center designs with a 3D effect is cool.

I'd like to see it with the perspectives of all 4 designs pointing down toward a central vanishing point rather than random. Another possibility is to have 3 reference arrows pointing down to a collection of the other 3 types in the center. The 3 in the center area could be angled upward toward the center point.

The ocean survey symbol isn't quite right. Only one of the 2 crossing lines actually touch the circle. See the picture of RJ0617.

There is also the magnetic station design, a hexagonal star, that could be included. Then you could have the triangle as a centerpiece, with the ----|----, the ocean mark, and the magnetic mark surrounding it on 3 sides with reference arrows pointing inwards to them.

The disk-center designs with a 3D effect is cool.

I'd like to see it with the perspectives of all 4 designs pointing down toward a central vanishing point rather than random. Another possibility is to have 3 reference arrows pointing down to a collection of the other 3 types in the center. The 3 in the center area could be angled upward toward the center point.

The ocean survey symbol isn't quite right. Only one of the 2 crossing lines actually touch the circle. See the picture of RJ0617.

There is also the magnetic station design, a hexagonal star, that could be included. Then you could have the triangle as a centerpiece, with the ----|----, the ocean mark, and the magnetic mark surrounding it on 3 sides with reference arrows pointing inwards to them.

Guess I should clarify.. yeah, despite the fact that the perspective is from all different angles, they don't have to be like that. :) It was just for show-and-tell.. When the background is decided, they can be 'aimed' any which way.

Interesting note about the Ocean Survey marker. Having never seen one myself, I gave my artist friend the link to the PDF file that's linked to earlier in this thread, that actualkly HAS a full-cross circle..

I will pass on the idea about having several of the logos point toward a central one. I wanted (still do) it to be a simple design (simple, not plain!) so tha, if needed, it could be transfered to several mediums (print, patches, pins, etc.) without too much difficulty. (Or without requirng a magnifying glass to recognize anything. :lol:)

BuckBrooke: I missed your reply until now. I looked at the post, and will forward some of those thoughts and ideas to my friend, see what he thinks. Thanks! :)

I'll wait until Friday to pass along any thoughts, to give others a chance to chime in..

I still kinda like the unadorned volunteer logo.

It seems to sum up my perceived place in the scheme of benchmark

recovery.

The only reason I'm persoinally iffy about the 'volunteer' logo is that from a distance, you wouldn't be able to easily identify it. (Other than seeing a round cirle with words and the triangle.)

However, I do like having 'volunteer' or something akin to it..

Me.

I took a survey (ha! no pun intended, but funny) over on geocoinclub.com about their upcoming geocoin designs. They have one in the works that will look like a traditional benchmark disc.

Personally I had thought with all the geocoins out, a benchmark coin would be really neat. Given a coin mint's design options these days, I wonder if they could even curve it so it would even more resemble a mini-benchmark.

Being a geocoin collector and knowing the craze for them right now, it'd be easy to get enough cash accumulated to get one minted, if the benchmark hunters were so inclined to want one.