Underwater Geocaches

Dew Crew

We've been thinking of placing an underwater cache for a while, one that only requires snorkel equipment (approx. 10-15' deep). I was wondering if anyone had any advice for putting the cache together; Containers, writing materials, anchoring ideas, etc. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Here is what I did: I used three containers, the first or outer container is a lemonade powder container that is water resistant. It is water proof under several feet of water but pressure at 14' diminishes waterproof to water resistant. This outer container is filled with concrete and the concrete is full of steel bolts, this makes it very heavy. The outer container has some air volume at the top and this helps it "stand up" when it is underwater.

Inside the outer container I placed a beach safe with an O-ring, there is a space in the concrete where the beachsafe is nestled. The beachsafe is water proof and because the outer container is almost water proof the beachsafe has never been subjected to the pressure at depth.

Inside the beachsafe I use a diabetic test strip container to hold the log sheet.

Since our lake is seasonal I move the cache from the shore to deep water each summer. This year the hiding spot on the shore ended up underwater but the diabetic test strip container did protect the scroll.

Since it is a microcache I added the coordinates for another nearby small cache to the log sheet, if you find Swim then you get to find a small cache on dry land which can contain TB's, geocoins or small trade items. The cache page contains some pictures of the cache itself.

Have fun, I know that my underwater cache is a lot of fun to maintain!

One little note:

If you're going to include a logbook, I *highly* recommend using a DuraRite notepad, *NOT* just a plain or even "Rite in the Rain" notebook. The DuraRite ones (by the same company) are completely synthetic paper and do not degrade when used underwater (or left there a long time).

Shipping's a killer for small orders, but GearMechant.com had great prices on them when I bought a few to use with our dive team.

I recently read in the Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching that there was a cache placed 1.4 miles down in the Atlantic ocean on July 19, 2002! :rolleyes: The guy used a Russian Mir sub to place it and placed a TB in it. The TB's number is: TB31F1. Whether it's still active I'd sure like to find out! I wonder if anyone got the FTF on it? :unsure:

I recently read in the Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching that there was a cache placed 1.4 miles down in the Atlantic ocean on July 19, 2002! :) The guy used a Russian Mir sub to place it and placed a TB in it. The TB's number is: TB31F1. Whether it's still active I'd sure like to find out! I wonder if anyone got the FTF on it? :anicute:

GCG822

Yep - It's still active, but ti's never been found. Whether it's still there or not, We may never know...

well done i tried to hide one underwater not so long ago but the dadgum thing kept floating away and getting loose from its tether!....nice cache might get a chance to do it some day....is the difficulty actually 5 or is that just to factor in the extra little bit of terrain?

Mostly because of the depth. Hold up your arm in front of you, with the palm facing outward. Now look at your pinky nail. The cache, an otter box, looks about that big from the surface and is only slightly lighter than the surrounding colors. It is tied to the roots of a submerged tree, but that isn't visible from the surface at all. The coords will get you withing 20 feet, but it is still a bit of a search. But that is all part of the fun! :rolleyes:

There are two awesome underwater caches in Hawaii that we found out about last week. Snorkle equipment required, each about 1/2 mi offshore. My brother lives on that beach, but we only had time to find one (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d668481c-a59a-404d-9550-b9c0eb6130fc) before heading to the airport. The other is close nearby. Caches are Nalgenes attached to chain attached to cinderblocks; both 5/5. I'd "favorite" this one, but I'm not a premium member! :-)

I thought you could not have a under water/ground cache.

It doesn't say anything about caches underwater, I've been researching it since I am an avid abalone/spearfishing diver. I am gearing up for a 15 foot underwater cache that I plan to plant in a week or so. They do mention no caches buried in the ground and I'm pretty sure that's a rule so we don't all go gopher hole digging...tearing up the landscape.

always thought that underwater caches were dumb because there's a high risk of the log being ruined and can be dangerous depending on where they can be

You may think they're "dumb", but hundreds (maybe more) look for 'em.

We've found four of those hides and had a lot of fun.

- Boy I feel dumb... :rolleyes:

The D/T ratings lead one to what kind of hazards may be presented and most prepare for it.

Often the antis on higher terrain/difficulty hides are the ones who don't (or can't) do them.

It "can be dangerous" anywhere. Carnival food I worry about.

I thought you could not have a under water/ground cache.

It doesn't say anything about caches underwater, I've been researching it since I am an avid abalone/spearfishing diver. I am gearing up for a 15 foot underwater cache that I plan to plant in a week or so. They do mention no caches buried in the ground and I'm pretty sure that's a rule so we don't all go gopher hole digging...tearing up the landscape.

Since you mentioned abalone diving I had to check your profile to see if you were from where I thought you are from (I was right). I was born in the town where you placed your caches. There's aren't too many places left where you can get abalone but when I was a kid there were a *lot* of abalone there.

I am extremely disappointed In Florida's lack of representation here.

I not only thought underwater caches would be more prolific but that Florida would be a leader based on the shear availability of optimum sites which includes a tons of easily accessible springs.

As much as I would like to place a SCUBA one, I think a cache that is achievable with snorkel gear is more inclusive.

As I learn more about proper placement rules I plan to make a few underwater ones, one fresh one salt, that will do our state proud !

Besides... its freakin' hot as hell and wet down here anyway from the non-stop summer of rain... might as well be in the water.

Edited by Bohemian1966