Catagorp Proposal: Rock Hounds

I was hoping to get a listing of places that you can actually go out and hunt to cool rocks, petrified wood, and other types of geological collectibles. Possibly sub catagorized based on type of stones or by geographical regions but most likly not.

Type of stone and any access information would need to be posted. Some US land managers have rules allowing this sort of activity as long as it is limited in quantity, in oregon and washington the BLM for example restricts you to 25lbs of petrified wood a day and 250lbs a year. They restrict you to 250lbs a day of stones.

I would think that this would best go here...

Directory Home > Places > Earth Science Places > Rocks and Gemstones

OR here...

Directory Home > Places > Natural Places > Rocks and Gemstones

I really really want this category and think it would be EXTRA cool for all us rock hounds that are always in search of a new place to check out. Let me know what you all think and hopefully it can happen.

Some required info that every person would need to post...

• Kind of stone
  • Who is the Land manager(BLM, FS, etc...)
  • How to contact the Land manager just in case there is a question.
  • What are the restrictions on collecting
  • Any relevant information that could be learned about the particular type of stone/area

Edited by ralann

Well I can't edit anymore so here i go on the topic again...

Some examples of types of rocks that could be listed...

• Obsidian
  • Jasper
  • Petrified Wood
  • Jade
  • Marble
  • Quartz
  • Limestone
  • Pumice(the really cool light weight stuff)
  • Thunder Eggs
  • Opals
  • Sun Stones
  • etc...

This is by no means a close to complete list but just an idea of what could be listed to get your mind rolling on the idea.

Also if it doesn't violate the spirit of things we could also list rock shops, but maybe in a different category. That will need some discussion. The reason that i would want to list rock shops in that they can be few and far between and often little hole in the wall types of places. They are often quite unique, unlike McD restaurants.

I have a few locations that I could begin to populate the category with to get it rolling. Others I know of I would need to get coordinates of.

Another thought I just had... would we want to list mineral deposits in this category also or would that need another category. They are SO CLOSELY related that i am not really sure which way to go on that idea. I know you aren't gonna go listing 50lb gold nuggets, but what about areas of concentrated copper, chromite, iron, sulfur, etc... Should I add a new proposal for minerals? I really think that this tangent would be so little used that it could go in with rocks and gemstones

Edited by ralann

My father is a rockhound as well as a cacher. I've seen a book written about this very topic but it is very inadequet. It had maybe a dozen locations in all of California marked and they were done using old maps rather than people on location.

I think its a great idea, worthy of at least a category full of sub-categories if not eventually a whole website of its own.

I think it would be more useful to subcategorize by region, however. I know few rockhounds that go only after specific rocks and minerals. It is more likely that they would strike out after whatever was in their area.