Before I Finalize Design For My 1st Sig Item....

Bear Paughs

Hey, everyone. I've been working on our first signature item and it's almost ready. Before I finalize my design, I'd love some input from others.

Basically our sig item is going to be a custom card like a baseball card. I don't know if this is unique or not, but we thought it suited us, especially because the boys and their dad are all huge sports card collectors themselves. We also thought a custom sports card would be neat because we can do more than one image, and do a new series each year. Groundspeak gave the thumbs up on the logo usage and offered some suggestions which I've incorporated into the general layout.

So now what I'd like is some feedback on is whether this is something that would be sought after by sig item collectors, and also what do you guys think would be cool for us to include on the back of the card?

The 2005 cards will be our "rookie" cards. I have a ton of ideas for subsequent years (like our favorite caches, # of DNFs, fun things like that), but not entirely happy with what I have so far for the 2005 version. I don't want to include any kind of stat on this one (2006 card would have 2005 details, 2007 would have 2006, etc., just like a real sports card.) Any ideas? Also, I thought I'd do the same text on the backs of all cards in the same series, but would someone think they were cooler if they were all different? If I were to include little wierd factoids or something (like a "Did You Know...." with strange little tidbit of info) what type of silly things would you get a kick out of reading about?

Any input is much appreciated! I'd love to get some ideas before I get ready to print these in a couple weeks. By the way, here is the basic layout:

CardTemplatec.jpg

(I didn't include the images so they will be a surprise when ready, and we're going to do 4 or 5 different ones for 2005.)

EDIT to resize pic

Edited by Bear Paughs

Not being a signature expert by any means...I think the cards look great. Perhaps you could just put some details on the back about yourselves...general stuff. Or if you do want to make each card unique...perhaps geocaching jokes...like this one.

Two geocachers, Mike and Rob were on the roof of a run down McDonalds looking for the cache, when a sudden gust of wind came and knocked down their ladder.

"I have an idea," said Mike. "I'll throw you down, and then you can pick up the ladder."

"What, do you think I'm stupid? I have an idea. I'll shine my flashlight, and you can climb down on the beam of light."

"What, do you think I'm stupid? You'll just turn off the flashlight when I'm halfway there."

Just an idea :P

Thanks for the comments! It's nice to hear the positive remarks about my idea. <_< And shadows_crew, you've given me a couple of ideas. I personally am terrible at telling jokes (and even worse at making them up!), but now I'm thinking of maybe having a contest of sorts, and the 4 or 5 winners would each get credited on a card and I'd send them a set (if they wanted them, that is.) Either a geo-joke contest or a best geocaching advice for newbies or something like that. I've got to toy around with it a bit.

Any other ideas? Keep 'em coming!

I personally am terrible at telling jokes (and even worse at making them up!), but now I'm thinking of maybe having a contest of sorts, and the 4 or 5 winners would each get credited on a card and I'd send them a set (if they wanted them, that is.)  Either a geo-joke contest or a best geocaching advice for newbies or something like that.  I've got to toy around with it a bit.

You can find jokes on the internet you just need to change them a bit to include geocaching in them...but then again....everyone likes a good contest. I'd be up for it. I've just started caching and haven't got a single signature item...the only cards I've actually seen so far are rather....how can I say this politely....boring so I couldn't see the point of keeping them. (maybe I'm just missing the point <_< ) so I'd love to win a set.

Q: How many geocachers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: One. Maybe two if someone has to hold the ladder.

Q: Why did the geocacher cross the road?

A: Because the cache was on the other side.

There's an Italian, a Pole, a Jew and geocacher on a life raft in shark infested.....nevermind.

I like your idea. How about a neat die cut version to place in the caches you like the best or as FTF prizes in new caches you place?

Actually, we haven't begun placing caches yet (planning on doing it soon), but we have other versions of this card planned for when we do, as a FTF prize, as well as a card for other finders that we'll resupply from time to time with the cache name and coordinates. We thought that might be something sig collectors who start finding our cards would be interested in, you know, trying to collect a whole set. Generally we'll leave individual cards, but I'm also talking to the printer about additional costs for packaging them as sets in their own custom wrapper (for leaving a complete set in our favorite caches or making trades for other sig items). The cards are being professionally printed and will have every appearance and feel of a real sports card.

We're excited about them. It will be another few weeks likely before we place the final order, but we're very much looking forward to getting them in and starting to share them!