Gpsmap 60c Locks Up

I have a new Garmin GPSMAP 60c with maps loaded.. Sometimes, as I approach a cache, my map locks up and does not show movement. My compass section still records distance from cache and direction. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution? I've tried recalculating on the map section but this does not seem to work. any thoughts would be appreciated...

I have a new Garmin GPSMAP 60c with maps loaded.. Sometimes, as I approach a cache, my map locks up and does not show movement. My compass section still records distance from cache and direction. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution? I've tried recalculating on the map section but this does not seem to work. any thoughts would be appreciated...

I think what you are describing is the nature of the beast. If you are in a heavily wooded area with minimal satellite receiving strength, quite close to the cache and moving very slowly you will see the map and arrow pointer on your compass page seemingly lock-up whenever you change direction. Eventually it will correct after you move in a straight line at a reasonable walking speed or get into an area with a better view of the sky. Fortunately, as you said, the unit will continue to update bearing and distance to the cache even though the compass page arrow is pointing nowhere near the cache location.

Enter the magnetic compass. Move off a short distance, standstill for a minute or two and let the 60 settle down. It doesn't hurt to hold it up above your shoulder height at this point. Then make note of the bearing and distance to the cache, dial-in your magnetic compass and visualize the bearing line pacing off the distance. Nine out of ten times that will get you pretty close to the hiding spot.

Cheers, Olar

Same problem here...Using version 4.00.........

I have the same problem with mine. Contacted garmin and they said to reset the unit, I did this and it still locks up but not as often. I can be walking out in the open when it happens, You don't realize it right away and get way off course. When I shut the unit off and on it will work again and all of a sudden it locks up again. Garmin said send it in and they will fix it. But I don't think it is a hardware problem it is a firmware one.

Every one with this problem needs to contact garmin so they will fix the firmware problem.

This is a common problem with every firmware version but 3.8. Garmin can't seem to get it right. The 60C/CS yahoo group has the v3.8 firmware available and I'd advise downloading it until they get their sh** together. It's sad we have to put up with such imcompetance in a high $$ device.

In version 3.7 and earlier, the lockup was limited to specific points on the map, or to doing a trackback on a saved route when the trip computer page was shown.

I encourage everyone with this bug to report it to Garmin, and provide as much detail as possible. (exact coordinates, map(s) loaded, screen showing, firmware version, map version, and MapSource version). That will help them track down the problem more quickly.

How many maps do you all have loaded in the map60's that are locking up? What all is saved on your unit?

Here is what I sent to Garmin...

"Yes, I had 52.1meg(36maps). 526 waypoints. 3 routes. The 2 routes that locked up had 14 VIAs and 16 VIAs. I was using BEST route calcs,auto recalc, fastest."

B)

FWIW my 60C has not had any problems for about a year. I did have problems with it shutting itself off spontaneously - but that's ancient history.

I got the cogs turnin' in my head <sound of screeching metal on metal> Y'all are having the problem on the MAP page, correct? So what maps are you using? Upgrade to CSNA Ver. 7 perhaps??? CSNA Ver. 7 Stand-alone? 6? 5?

Just wondering if it might be a problem with the new version 7 that came out...? The version 4 firmware has been out since June, but here it is September and now this problem is starting to surface?

Any particular geographic locations where this happens? Intersection maybe? Bridge over a highway? Silly question - happens while caching, so it happens in the middle of nowhere...

Any problems while navigating out on the road?

I've been happily using CSNA 5 since I got my 60C - no problems with lock-ups. I must admit that I haven't been caching out in the woods in quite some time.

Edited by Neo_Geo

I just finished reading the posts on the 60CS lock-up problem. This happened to me twice with my 60CS (v3.50) while I was out hiking solo earlier this week. I was in no real danger of getting lost, but I might have been if I had been out father from home.

Trackback freezing had occurred before, but I had assumed that it was just a quirk or a satellite reception problem. I did not realize that it was a widely reported bug.

I upgraded to v4.00 but now I am worried, as users are reporting the same behavior occurs with this software release.

The main reason that I have a GPS is to help me trackback when out on solo hikes. This is a very serious (and somewhat dangerous) problem with a unit that was quite expensive.

I have written to Garmin's technical support to ask them for advice and about my options under warranty.

I believe that the trackback lock-up was a different issue, and appears to have been fixed in ver 3.7. This lock-up appears to happend when the the map page is showning, but not during a trackback.

I would still like to see posts of users experiencing this problem that list:

1. Firmware version

2. MapSource version

3. Map(s) loaded (Topo USA, City Select, MetroGuide, etc)

4. Map version loaded

5. Screen showing at the time (is it only when the map screen is showing)

6. Other GPS functions at the time (following a route? Off road? etc)

7. Approximate location at the time (i.e., does it happen at the same place every day on your way to work? only when tromping around in the woods? someplace with lots of roads? etc).

I just finished reading the posts on the 60CS lock-up problem. This happened to me twice with my 60CS (v3.50) while I was out hiking solo earlier this week. I was in no real danger of getting lost, but I might have been if I had been out father from home.

Trackback freezing had occurred before, but I had assumed that it was just a quirk or a satellite reception problem. I did not realize that it was a widely reported bug.

I upgraded to v4.00 but now I am worried, as users are reporting the same behavior occurs with this software release.

The main reason that I have a GPS is to help me trackback when out on solo hikes. This is a very serious (and somewhat dangerous) problem with a unit that was quite expensive.

I have written to Garmin's technical support to ask them for advice and about my options under warranty.

You have a right to have the product perform as advertised.....having said that, I don't see why anyone would use "trackback", having to perform the "find beginning" baloney at the start....just turn around and follow the track you just made. You also seem to be a little concerned about getting lost...maybe a good idea to mark a waypoint at your starting point (car/trailhead etc.)

One reason Ive never had any LOCK-UPS, is because ive never done a GOTO during a BACKTRACK. In my way of thinking, this is a big "NO-NO", because this is like a double GOTO putting a heavy load on the GPS, and also having "Waypoint at destination" and stuff like that on your "Trip Computer" or "Map Page", during a "BACKTRACK", is too heavy a load on the processor.

Ive been pretty lucky and not getting LOCKUPS while navigating with my GPSmap60C.

- - - - - - - - -

Related links on LOCKUP problems:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...l=60cs+locks+up

**attention 60cs Owners**, Lock Ups in TrackBack of saved tracks

Edited in:

Im going to go out and see if I can intentionally LOCKUP my GPS by really loading down the processor in my GPS by turning everything ON, like what I listed at the beginning of THIS POST.

2nd Edit:

I do realize that the 60C and 60CS are a bit different, in that the 60CS records it's Altimeter reading in each Trackpoint the 60CS saves to it's Active Tracklog, and also the 60CS will record Trackpoints more often than a 60C with the same settings. If the 60CS is like my old Map76S with sensors, the 60CS will save altimeter info to Trackpoints whether or not the GPS is tracking satellites.

Edited by GOT GPS?
I don't see why anyone would use "trackback", having to perform the "find beginning" baloney at the start....

Easy to do while hiking, but what about traveling down the road at 60MPH? :D

I don't know about you, but I kind of like to watch the road while I'm driving - NOT my GPSr!

If you read the original post correctly, you would see that we were referring to "hiking" and not "driving" while following a track. Regardless, when driving a return trip, it is still easier to do a new "go to" to your return destination, rather than panning around the map page that is required when you do a Tracback....it's a no brainer...for most of us anyway :0).

I just learned that a BACKTRACK will cancel a GOTO.

I had no lockups when I was just out.

I did a 2.6 mile run, then did a backtrack of the same run, so I did about 5 miles Running.

So there are 3 types of GOTOS, a Backtrack, direct GOTO, and an Autorouting GOTO, so now I know.

I like my older 76S for doing Backtracks better.

Mine locked up today, 60cs, firmare version 4.0, city select v6. I had the gpsr on in the map screen driving toward a known cache. I was simply following the raod map. when I seen the cache I wanted to visit, I parked the truck and started toward the cache. The map screen left me on the road and locked up. I had to turn off/turn back on the gpsr to see movement on the map screen. I wasn't in "goto" mode at all. This has me curious if it's not the city select software I loaded. I have around 3.11 megs of map loaded now. Thinking back, I wish I would pushed "Quit" and the do a find for that cache to see if that would have worked.

I went out yesterday to try out the firmware reversal from 4.0 to 3.8 and it still locked up. I also upgraded to city select v7. So I dont know what to try now. I will be calling garmin again. I wish there was a way to delete all the maps, execpt the base map off the gps and start over. My problem happens just like Wrench&Wench said his happens.

I went out yesterday to try out the firmware reversal from 4.0 to 3.8 and it still locked up. I also upgraded to city select v7. So I dont know what to try now. I will be calling garmin again. I wish there was a way to delete all the maps, execpt the base map off the gps and start over. My problem happens just like Wrench&Wench said his happens.

If MapSource data is loaded to your GPS receiver, its preloaded POI database will be erased. Please download this file if you wish to recover this POI database.

If you download the POI data that Got GPS points to, and use mapsource to load just that data, all user-loaded maps will be erased, and you will be left with the basemap and the poi data, just as Garmin had it when it came from the factory.

Another option would be a hard reset (Hold ENTR and PAGE while powering up the unit).