Feature Suggestion: Anti-popularity Filter

The Popularity filter is good for someone who is new or needs to cut the list down to a manageable list of waypoints. This will eventually result in a list of frequently visited waypoints. Sometimes popular can be dull and uninteresting.

Some of us will shy away from the unual and popular waypoints and look for the unique and less frequently visited waypoints. To help make our search easier please make an anti-popular filter. One that lists the waypoints that get low marks, the ones that people don't want to visit for whatever reasons, and IMHO some of the truely unique and interesting waypoints.

I don't understand what you mean by anti popularity filter. You can see everything by dragging the meter to 100%, and sorting by popularity will show you all of them anyway.

Popularity, by the way, doesn't mean uniqueness. McDonalds is at the bottom of the list and it is far from unique.

Perhaps the OP is asking:

1) Will I be able find categories that have very few waymarks listed? These may correspond to more difficult locationless caches. I want the challenge of finding a landlocked lighthouse vs. finding a McDonalds restaurant.

2) Will I be able to find waymarks that haven't been visited yet or that haven't been visited in awhile. This corresponds to getting a FTF or visiting a cache that might be difficult to get to or find.

If he wants to find truely unique and interesting waymarks, there should be a Wow!!! category :P

1) Will I be able find categories that have very few waymarks listed? These may correspond to more difficult locationless caches. I want the challenge of finding a landlocked lighthouse vs. finding a McDonalds restaurant.

Yes. We have a concept but we're not ready to discuss it openly yet. But there will be ways to find categories with rare waymarks for an added challenge. We're well aware there isn't enough of a reward system for finding especially interesting waymarks. This will be remedied.

2) Will I be able to find waymarks that haven't been visited yet or that haven't been visited in awhile. This corresponds to getting a FTF or visiting a cache that might be difficult to get to or find.

Yes. My above paragraph addresses that as well. We have been discussing reward systems and have some cool ideas about them.

We have been discussing reward systems and have some cool ideas about them.

Reward systems! Be still, my heart. I'm thinking maybe coupons for free gas would be nice. :P

After the New England Capture the Flag game wrapped up earlier this year, I had some great discussions with various people about how to set up manageable games using geocaching.com as the gameboard. Strictly using stuff that was publically available on, or from, the site.

One of the ideas we discussed was a game which would involve getting 'points' for placing special TBs in the oldest unfound caches in a state. The idea would be to reward players who put in enough effort to hunt down the caches which, for whatever reason, were only rarely sought.

editadded smiley, cleaned up spacing.

Edited by cache_test_dummies

Yes. We have a concept but we're not ready to discuss it openly yet. But there will be ways to find categories with rare waymarks for an added challenge. We're well aware there isn't enough of a reward system for finding especially interesting waymarks. This will be remedied.

Question answered, thanks. I can't wait to see what you have come up with.

Locking thread.