Reception Issues W/ New Cachemobile, Any Thoughts?

Iceburger

Hi -- We just purchased a new cachemoblie, not an SUV but a UV (ugly vechile) it is a pontiac Aztek. It is everything we wanted in a new car but it is ugly as sin. Now that we have that aside and I won't get slammed for it :D

There is one major issue, my gps reception in the vechile is horrible. I literally have to hold it out the window to get anything. Any thoughts? Could this be caused by the dark tinted windows (though the windshield is normal)? Could it be caused by the onstar antenna that is built into the windshield? I have a mount on the dash of my s-10 pick-up and get extremely good reception all the time. But in this car there is NOTHING, and I do mean NOTHING.

I understand we can buy an external antenna for it but, was wondering if there was something else going on before I made that $40.oo investment. Thanks for any light (reception) you may be able to help us shed on this.

Iceburger

I had been warned of this issue from prior forum threads when I bought my SUV cachemobile at the end of 2002 (and sorry, that's too far back for me to Markwell right now, as I'm busy at work this morning). The windshield composition can indeed block satellite reception, if I'm recalling correctly. Hopefully a GPS technical expert can chime in on that.

Anyways, when test-driving cars, I brought along my GPS and insisted on trying it out, to make sure I'd have good reception. (Sorry to the OP, this advice apparently comes too late for you.) The Ford Explorer salesman thought I was crazy and made geek jokes. The Nissan Pathfinder salesman asked me about autorouting and how I used GPS.

I now drive a Nissan Pathfinder. :D

My wife's Chevy Venture has a film on the windshield that is metallic. It completely prevents a GPSr from working on the dash.

The only choice is to have an external antenna. Depending on your GPSr model, Gilsson may have an antenna that will cost less than $25. Check their eBay Store.

Or, if you have good insurance, smash the windshield outta the thing and have the glass guy/gal put in a standard one. :D

I belive the Aztek is build on some of the same parts as the GM minivans (one being the Chevy Venture)... hmmmmm should I wait till we atleast get the windshield dirty first? I'd hate to break a prefectly clean peice of glass :D..... No really :D Anyhow we still would have bought it with this issue being know, we do love the ugly thing. I'll start looking for an antenna today. Thanks.

I

Anyways, when test-driving cars, I brought along my GPS and insisted on trying it out, to make sure I'd have good reception. (Sorry to the OP, this advice apparently comes too late for you.) The Ford Explorer salesman thought I was crazy and made geek jokes. The Nissan Pathfinder salesman asked me about autorouting and how I used GPS.

I now drive a Nissan Pathfinder. :P

I did the same thing when I bought my truck. I had to be able to put my Thule roof rack on the truck, I also needed room for two ham radios (This was the hard part), and I also wanted good gps reception. I bought a Nissan Fronteir.

Pontiac uses a metalic film in the front windows of some models that block GPS signals. They usualy have a small band near the top of the window that doesn't have the film (so your garage door opener works I've been told).

If you are lucky you will get enough signal through that band for a GPS to work on your dash. Most of the time you won't.

My solution is to just put the GPS by a side window. My doors allow the GPS to nest in a way that lets me drive with it. Your Aztec may be different in that regard.

For what it's worth that metallic film does a great job of keeping heat out of the vehicle.