Legend Vs Vista C Vs 60c

techtalkers

Hi folks,

I lost my legend :D so I need to get a new unit :D . I've always been disappointed with the legend's reception - time to lock on, poor performance under tree cover (aren't we always under tree cover?) and the inability to hold a lock when on a lanyard around my neck (have to hold it level, or even better, put in on a rock and step away.)

However, I do like the intuitive controls. So, I'm thinking about the Vista C or 60c.

Will they solve my [GPS-replacement] problems?

Do they lock on quickly, hold lock in vertical mode, and are they as easy to use?

Is the 60c worth the extra money?

Thanks,

Steve (techtalkers)

First of all, I love my 60C. I think you'd be happy with either one. Both of these unit are newer units and do acquire a signal lock much much faster. The Vista C from what I've read might hold a signal lock better under tree cover than the 60C due to it's newer style patch antenna. They both allow you to use both Topo and City Select Maps. They both auto-route.

The Vista C only has 24 MB of memory as compared to the 60C's memory of 56 MB. The 60C has an external antenna port, as well as both USB and serial, whereas the Vista C only has an USB. The 60C holds 1000 waypoints, the Vista C 500. The Vista C has an electronic compass and altimeter.

The Vista C gets very good reception, far better than the original Legend and Vista and even a bit better than the 60C. Of course, being that it has a patch antenna it gets best reception held horizontally, while the 60c gets best reception held vertically with its quad helix antenna.

Unless you need the extra map memory, I'd say go with the Vista C. If you're used to an eTrex, you might find the 60C a bit on the large side.

Edited by briansnat

I had a Vista. I sold it for a GPSmap60cs and have never been sorry for doing it. I have never had the newer Vista in my hand so I can't tell you about it's performance but if it is better than the 60c or cs then it will be a wonderful machine for you. Just keep in mind if your going to do auto-routing then you will be sorry with the Vista.

murph

well like thcri i sold my ~5 year old vist this past july and replaced it with a 60cs. i couldn't be happier. i liked my vista a lot, i like my 60cs more.

honestly, you can't go wrong with a vista c or a 60c. both units have pretty comparable features, just difference in price and size. yes, memory difference too, but for geocaching 24M is just fine.

so the question is, what do you want to spend?

I love my new Vista C. It locks onto the satellites quickly, and holds a lock. I do hold it in my hand, in a horizontal position, with the lanyard around my wrist. I've gotten used to doing that, so it is not a problem.

It works just as well as my friend's 60CS for auto-navigation, and I like the smaller size. The only "wrinkle" is the 500-waypoint limit in this very cache-rich area.