Absolute Bulls***

Heh, I see you were posting while I was. (Yes I took a long time.) Good luck with being 'open ended'; it will be a difficult category to manage, I think. <_<

Thanks. I really liked your posts about placing subjectivity in its proper perspective. There's a difference between "subjective" and "arbitrary." I hope that I can manage the category with good judgment. Having a Category Manager Group can only help with this... close cases could be discussed with the other managers. (Volunteer cache reviewers already do this for geocaches.)

And tozainamboku, thanks for the smile from your Jeep log. Back when Yellow Jeep Fever was active, I used to joke about writing the following DNF log every day: "Drove to work, but didn't see a Yellow Jeep."

If, someday, we achieved a critical mass of 250 "mock" lighthouses that are landlocked, and 250 landlocked lighthouses that served purposes other than marine navigation or were moved to a landlocked location, we could split up the category at that time.  But for now, there have been more "mock" ones than "real" ones and that's fine by me, so long as they look like a lighthouse.

I envision category variables being useful here, especially if we eventually can search and/or PQ against them. For example, my penny smasher category really allows for any denomination of coin, not just pennies, and has a category variable for that. In the future, I could see someone filtering out all but penny smashers in their query, if they don't care about the other denominations. If you had a category variable where people could select "Real" or "Mock", I don't see any reason why you need a sub category. This all assumes features that I have dreamed up in my head and I have never seen verified in these forums as something that they will eventually implement. <_<

--Marky

Thanks Marky, I may do that. Jeremy, will that help solve the problem of people who are obsessed with avoiding "mock" landlocked lighthouses?

I manage another category where I've added several variables.... Pennsylvania historic markers. There's a dropdown where you select which county the marker is, radio buttons for whether it's classified on the official website as a "roadside" or "urban" marker, and a text field for the official subject matter of the marker ("native american," "politics," "industry," etc.) It would be cool if I could do a query that would ONLY return "urban" markers in Philadelphia County, if I were taking a business trip there and wanted to have a self-guided history tour.

Wow, this is the first Waymarking thread I’ve read, other than the one I posted. The bad thing is that I agree with the OP and all the people lined up against him.

You can “own” a category? What is that all about? I wasn’t sure Seattle could find a way to introduce more angst into the game; this one thread shows it’s possible. I applaud them for trying though.

I think I’ll also stay away from this new contraption.

Wow, this is the first Waymarking thread I’ve read, other than the one I posted.  The bad thing is that I agree with the OP and all the people lined up against him. 

You can “own” a category?  What is that all about?  I wasn’t sure Seattle could find a way to introduce more angst into the game; this one thread shows it’s possible.  I applaud them for trying though. 

I think I’ll also stay away from this new contraption.

For the first time in my recent memory I'm about to agree with Criminal.

Edited by mikemtn

Pretty funny. I've seen threads just like this one years ago. Back then the posts mentioned "locationless" and now they say "waymark." Same complaints. Different terminology. The more things change, the more they stay the same B)

Edit: Can't speel.

Edited by Lil Devil