Making Someone Elses Signature Item A Tb

Lemon Fresh Dog

The other day I came across a really cool signature item in a cache. With many signature items, I collect photos of them rather than the object itself and send it along it's merry way (same with TB's).

Anyhow -- this item was so cool I wanted to watch where it travelled. So I tagged it with a TB tag and released it. I sent a note to the creator of the item, and they were cool with it (I included the number so they could track it too).

What do folks think about this?

1) Don't do it.

2) If you tag it -- send the TB # AND the activation code so they can activate and own it

3) No problem doing this -- it's an item like any other.

Thoughts?

(I figured I should make at least ONE post here about Travel Bugs and not the other item that is not really seem to end-up being a travelling item, but gets discussed a lot here.... :D )

technically I'd have to answer 3... it is just a trade item like anything else....

BUT, I would do like you did and ask the owner of the sig item if they are cool with it before releasing as a TB...

we have an odd item here in NE Ohio called the NEOGeo totem that local cachers attach their sig items to... and we have been tracking it via our yahoo! group (which is obviously a very poor way to track anything, and it often disappears for months or years)

So there is a growing movement to make it a TB and thereby easier to track (though some are concerned that it might leave NE Ohio as a TB -- hopefully we can info tag it well enough to keep it within the home territory) but after a gentle reminder, we are going to ask the creator of the Totem what his thoughts are before we do anything further with it TB-wise....

I've done this...

A Dog and Penny Show

I emailed the cacher whose signature item it was and she got a kick out of it. Sure seems like a more interesting outcome for a siq item them just ending up in someones collection (though now that I have a collection of my own, I almost wish I had kept it :D)

I know Penny. I have one of her items too, but mine is a Clifford the dog figurine with the penny in a cardboard holder atached to Clifford.