Are Plastic Bags Really Effective?

Most caches I come across (in my region) are wrapped in plastic bags. Even some strong tupper-ware ones are. Mostly these bags are damp and dirty and tattered and it seems that if the cache container where made of properly strong, waterproof material they would be completely unnecessary?

They definately don't add to the experience.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Edited by RakeInTheCache

I have read this in logs and forums, but never really understood it. In my area people will put log books in plastig bags inside of the cache, but I have never seen an entire cache inside a plastic bag. I agree with you--the cache container itself should be weatherproof and waterproof. There should be no need to put a normal cache in a bag. (Although there are probably rare special circumstances that might call for it on specific caches.)

Looking back on things I know I have a few DNF's that are due to the cache being wrapped in a plastic bag. I'm looking for an ammo can or tupperware and I come across a scary, stinky looking plastic bag filled with I don't know what and I have no desire to touch it to find out!

Please use a good sealing container and if you feel the need put the contents in plastic bags, but don't put the cache container in one.

I have found caches that were perfectly capable of withstanding weather by themselves that were in a nasty plastic bag for some odd reason.

But if you think that is bad, then imagine this. I found a CACHE that was nothing but a Zip-Lock Baggy with a piece of paper inside with a few pieces of Junk. The baggy was on the ground under a rock. That was quiet possibly the worst cache I have ever been to!

Yes, plastic bags around caches are VERY effective... at attracting mold, insects and stinky, dirty standing water. Please don't use them.

Yep, its a bad practice. If the container is good enough, it doesn't need a plastic bag and if it isn't good enough, it should't be used.

It seems more prevalent in some areas than others. When I was geocaching near Sacramento a few summers ago, nearly every cache was wrapped in a plastic bag. I don't think I've found one wrapped in a plastic bag in my home caching area.

There is a cache near me that was a photo canister, but it popped open and got really nasty really fast. Somebody was nice enough to cover the remains with a baggy, but that encouraged mold growth. I've been getting email notices on this cache, and they all run along the lines of "who did this?" or "What in the world is in that bag?" and the occasional "someone should let the whitehouse know of this toxic waste".

When I started caching, the majority of caches I found were within a plastic bag as described above. I think that the local cachers are using better containers lately and the need for that has diminished. I still see tattered plastic wrapped around a perfectly nice looking container from time to time.

I think that a better approach to protecting the container from the elements is to leave it in a position that keeps the lid grooves away from falling rain. Keep the roof up so to speak.

I also suspect that some of the soggy caches are caused by being open for a find while it is raining out. The solution to this is to try and shield it as best as possible while the innards are exposed. Not always easy, and maybe obvious, but just the same it should be considered.

If you ever see a cacher walking out of the woods with a tattered plastic bag and then putting it in a garbage can or putting it in the car, it isn't me. That would be wrong and I would never condone such a terrible and senseless act. :D

If you ever see a cacher walking out of the woods with a tattered plastic bag and then putting it in a garbage can or putting it in the car, it isn't me.  That would be wrong and I would never condone such a terrible and senseless act.  :D

Somebody had to beat me to it! I was gonna say, all this sounds like a great NTFCITOO! (Next To Find Cache In Trash Out Opportunity)!!!! :D

Of course, only if the bag is in nasty, dirty, torn, not helping the cache at all type shape.

Edited: So nobody pounces on me for messing with/changing somebody's hide. Would never do that to a funtioning cache container. I do however carry cache rebuild supplies in my pack. Extra log books, zip lock baggies, etc. Just in case I find one needing attention.

Edited by Jester2112

The baggie can come in handy to take care of a temporary problem like a cracked lid, but it is with the expectation that the owner would take care of the maintance especially with notices of cache is wet, log is wet, or something mentioning mold.

For some reason it seems common to find mulitiple online logs mentioning that the cache/log is wet. :D

I have seen ammo boxes placed into large plastic bags. As must say, it is really a stupid way to hide a cache, the bags leak, they collect water, that creates mud in the bag. I did find one cache in which the cache was a large trash bag with just a log book in the bag and nothing else. I would have rather found a lame micro on a guard rail, it would have at least been clean inside. :D

Just a thought ... perhaps the caches were placed when the owner was new to the activity and didn't know any better.

I've found this to be true in letterboxing. Once placers have more experience and understanding of long-term effects, the outside bagging seems to stop.

I carry a trash bag with me whenever we go in the woods ... letterboxing, caching or just walking. If I find trash, it comes out with me... including those nasty outside plastic bags on letterboxes and caches.

If the container doesn't appear to be waterproof, I will replace the outside baggie and send a polite email to the owner telling them I replaced the baggie but offer a comment as to why that is a less than ideal solution and suggest a waterproof container.

Most times (99.99%) the owner is fine and says something nice in return. I ignore the less-than-kind emails, which are in the minority anyway.

Enjoy!

---Bindle Babe

Just a thought ... perhaps the caches were placed when the owner was new to the activity and didn't know any better.

I was guilty of this. In my first year of geocaching, just before the winter snows came, I went and wrapped all my caches in garbage bags. When I went back in the spring to take the bags off, they were already gone. It was then that I realized it wasn't the best idea.

But overall, I don't think its just newbs. Some of the caches I've found in bags were planted by long time geocachers.

The OP (RakeInTheCache) is based in Germany, where for some reason, almost every cache has a plastic bag. I even know of one cacher who places great caches, in watertight ammo boxes, and then puts a black bin liner around them. :D

My first 2-3 caches were in bags because, well, everybody else did it. I suspect it's one of those things where people copy each other, which means they will be popular for a while yet.

I've recently taken to removing bags systematically. If the tupperware or ammo box isn't quite watertight, the bag won't help - it will probably encourage water to get in, as the water will be kept in touch with the dodgy seal for a long time. And if you use a Lock&Lock box or an ammo box with a gasket, there's nothing more you can do to keep water out.

As for bright tupperware... rough it up with sandpaper and paint it black.

As for bright tupperware? DON'T USE IT!

Find a Lock & Lock or spring for that ammo can. That's easy enough.

Quite seriously tho (well more serious than that, anyway)... I have purposely not signed found-caches because they've been wrapped in trash bags that have been so wet and gross and stinky with no place close enough to wash my hands that there was NO way I was going to touch the container inside that mess.

I also CITO the bags from time to time:

... trashed the black garbage sack out. It was retaining water something fierce and was really squicky and gross to have to stick our hands in to access the container.

As OhJoy! mentioned, the bag was in shreds. I carried 99.9% of it with me for the rest of the day.

The latter one was a big tupperware breadbox that had been wrapped in a big black trash bag (body bag size) and then buried in rocks.

Um, hello? people!

This topic is not producing any support for the bagged cache concept yet it is so common, especially in western Washington, Oregon and N. California where it rains a lot.

Occasionally a black bag helps to conceal a container but subsequent cache finders then re-wrap it loosely with bag ends (not as-in Baggin's homestead) flapping in the breeze and looking like trash.

I almost always remove and discard the bags and rehide the container with natural cover.

I have only found one cache wrapped loosely in a black plastic bag. It was one of my most unpleasant caching experiences.

If I had a list of caches I would not do again, if I was starting over, it would be near the top of the list. Actually, now that I think about it, it would be first in the list . . .

The container was waterproof. I think the hider was just too lazy to paint or otherwise camouflage it and used the plastic bag to make it look like trash . . . :P

I work for a company called Otter Products, we make the OtterBox--crushproof, waterproof cases. A lot of people have ordered them for caches because they are rugged and relatively inexpensive. You can see all the different sizes at OtterBox.com. Just thought I’d pass on the info, it’s much better than a plastic bag!

3250_black_thumb.jpg

I don't find the otter boxes to be very inexpensive. You can get a small one for $10 or so. But one the size of an ammo can will set you back some $50 or more. There are other companies that make similar boxes that can be a shade cheaper, but they don't actually claim them to be waterproof as in "to 100 feet".

I put one in a stream, yes underwater, and I will try to find it this weekend. I'll let you know how it faired. This was a Pelican box. I told them what I was going to do and they sent me one free to test it out! That was pretty nice. But I had already bought a slightly larger one for $30.

I hope I can find it. We had some heavy rains and it seems to have gotten moved by the water. But it was attached to a gallon jug full of concrete so I don't think it would have gone too far downstream. I'll let you know about that too!

:huh:

Most caches I come across (in my region) are wrapped in plastic bags. Even some strong tupper-ware ones are. Mostly these bags are damp and dirty and tattered and it seems that if the cache container where made of properly strong, waterproof material they would be completely unnecessary?

They definately don't add to the experience.

Living and caching in Maryland and caching also in nearby states, we have never encountered this "bag" phenomenon, but I did encounter it last month (8/2005) at my only find in Chennai, India (listed here: Peaceful Park on Tom's Hill.) The two bags in which the cache had been placed had turned totally gross, wet and torn and filthy. Incidentally, a nearby cache -- the only other cache listed within 100 miles -- seemed to be missing in action, and I could not help but wonder it it had also been wrapped in leaky torn plastic bags, thus offending the local gods enough to prompt them to remove it!

The OP (RakeInTheCache) is based in Germany, where for some reason, almost every cache has a plastic bag.  I even know of one cacher who places great caches, in watertight ammo boxes, and then puts a black bin liner around them.  :D

I discovered there's also a discussion going on in Germany about this practice with the cons definately outweighing the pros. View Link

Cachers of the world unite against this offensive practice! :lol:

Edited by RakeInTheCache

That seems to be the hide technique around here in NYC. I imagine it's just "urban camo," since they're making it look like all the other garbage in the area. :D Seriously. Sometimes I wonder "what are these people thinking?" with all the crap strewn around! Even went to the zoo yesterday, and the duck pond had someone's chip bag floating in it. The aviary had a disposable camera wrapper on the ground, two feet from the trash can. Amazing how some people grow to thing something is okay when they toss things out the window, on the ground, etc. It's really wearing on me.

But back on topic, I had trouble finding a few when I first visited here, because of the "garbage camo." Once I figured out that about every cache was going to be wrapped in a dirty black plastic bag and jammed under a log, the rest were easy.

I think it's a bad practice, myself. But then again, so is littering.

Wrapping a cache in a plastic bag is about as effective as screen doors in a submarine (I have only come across one--cache, that is).

It reminds me of those inexperienced canoists who may pack their gear in a garbage bag; it just doesn't work.

Plastic inside a viable container is a different story, but even then, the bags still are realistically only effective for separating and organizing the contents.

It's amazing how much water a plastic bag can hold, even if it has gaping holes. :D:lol:

I saw my first bagged cache a week ago. The cache was a 35mm film cannister inside a decon container inside a baggie. The baggie was disgusting and holey and mildewy and muddy. Someone put a thing of hand sanitizer inside the decon container (don't know if it was the hider or someone who found it later on). We had our own, otherwise we would have had to use it. I didn't see the point. It wasn't as if there was one waterproof plastic container the owner felt they had to put in a baggie, but two! Talk about overkill!

I discovered there's also a discussion going on in Germany about this practice with the cons definately outweighing the pros.  View Link

I read the link through babelfish, and it was pretty funny. :rolleyes: (Not intentionally, I'm sure -- just the weird babelfish translations.) One thing I found interesting: ammo cans there are cheaper than tupperware ("Tupperdosen"), cheaper even than Lock&Locks. They must have a big supply of ammo cans there. (Lock&Locks here can usually be found for less than $3.)

Wrapping a cache in a plastic bag is about as effective as screen doors in a submarine (I have only come across one--cache, that is).

It reminds me of those inexperienced canoists who may pack their gear in a garbage bag; it just doesn't work.

Plastic inside a viable container is a different story, but even then, the bags still are realistically only effective for separating and organizing the contents.

It's amazing how much water a plastic bag can hold, even if it has gaping holes. :rolleyes:<_<

Ziploc works quite well. Garbage bags and other such things are nasty when wet and/or dirty.

Yes, plastic bags around caches are VERY effective... at attracting mold, insects and stinky, dirty standing water. Please don't use them.

Yes, what Keystone said.

All plastic bags do, especially large garbage bags, is trap moisture next to the cache container. The majority of caches I come across, that are hidden in garbage bags, are usually damp and moist inside ... due the garbage bag keeping all that moisture next to the cache year round. Even when the area around the cache is dry as tinder, the inside of that bag is always skunky and wet.

If you want nice dry caches, use Lock & Lock containers.

Here in MN, there was a large number of caches, wrapped in Walgreens bags, or similar such thin flimsy junk. BAD IDEA!

Especially, do Not wrap a tin cookie tin in a cheap plastic bag, and stick it in a geo-beacon. In MN, and other such climates - it makes for a real mess - attracts critters to chew up the bag, causes geo-litter and so on.

ITs amazing how many of those kinds of hides permeate this area. Its actually sad.....

That seems to be the hide technique around here in NYC.  I imagine it's just "urban camo," since they're making it look like all the other garbage in the area.  :ph34r:  Seriously.  Sometimes I wonder "what are these people thinking?" with all the crap strewn around!  Even went to the zoo yesterday, and the duck pond had someone's chip bag floating in it.  The aviary had a disposable camera wrapper on the ground, two feet from the trash can.  Amazing how some people grow to thing something is okay when they toss things out the window, on the ground, etc. It's really wearing on me.

I want to say this was one of the techniques suggested by the geocaching video. I remember them explaining that you shouldn't use a whole bag but cut it to fit and melt the edges. (They were using the heavy dark garbage bags). A dark bag helps with hiding and slightly with protection. I watched it a long time ago. I'll have to see if I can get a friend to lend it to me again.

That seems to be the hide technique around here in NYC.  I imagine it's just "urban camo," since they're making it look like all the other garbage in the area.  :lol:  Seriously.  Sometimes I wonder "what are these people thinking?" with all the crap strewn around!  Even went to the zoo yesterday, and the duck pond had someone's chip bag floating in it.  The aviary had a disposable camera wrapper on the ground, two feet from the trash can.  Amazing how some people grow to thing something is okay when they toss things out the window, on the ground, etc. It's really wearing on me.

I want to say this was one of the techniques suggested by the geocaching video. I remember them explaining that you shouldn't use a whole bag but cut it to fit and melt the edges. (They were using the heavy dark garbage bags). A dark bag helps with hiding and slightly with protection. I watched it a long time ago. I'll have to see if I can get a friend to lend it to me again.

See, this is the thing. When I first started caching in '02, I saw a lot more garbage bags. I think that was just what everyone thought that they were supposed to do in the beginning. I see it a lot less now, but I suppose the ones that are still out there copied from somewhere else and still think that's the thing to do.