Garmin And Sirf = Better Device!

jcc123

Hey did you guys see this?

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo/story...oo&dist=myyahoo

The SIRF chips are much better than Garmin chips. I actually used my cousin's BT GPS module with SIRF chips and it was awsome. There have been reports that some people were even able to lock onto signals while they're in the house! Don't ask me how but they were. These are some super sensitive chips! I guess that's why even Garmin has decided to just buy instead of develop.

So I guess it cheaper to buy SiRF chip set than manufacture their own. Mybe Garmin will have a $50 GPS one day? Wait and see...

I have not tried a SiRF Star III product. I know that the SiRF star II stuff did not report any WAAS satellites via the GSV message and their elevation models were not to the NMEA specification. I would hope that the new SiRF chip set has this fixed before it gets to Garmin. :D

I know that the SiRF star II stuff did not report any WAAS satellites via the GSV message and their elevation models were not to the NMEA specification. I would hope that the new SiRF chip set has this fixed before it gets to Garmin. :D

These problems have indeed been fixed. SiRF III has had some early teething problems (search for "jet lag bug"), but it seems to have reached maturity a couple of months ago.

I can't wait to see those new Garmin units.

Do you know that Garmin has ever made their own GPS chips? It would be a very expensive proposition for them to roll their own chips when there are so many good ones already out there, and have been for quite a while.

BTW, my Merigold picks up in the house with little problem. It doesn't seem to do well next to my PC with the covers off, but otherwise I get a good lock.

Hey did you guys see this?

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo/story...oo&dist=myyahoo

The SIRF chips are much better than Garmin chips. I actually used my cousin's BT GPS module with SIRF chips and it was awsome. There have been reports that some people were even able to lock onto signals while they're in the house! Don't ask me how but they were. These are some super sensitive chips! I guess that's why even Garmin has decided to just buy instead of develop.

Some decent reviews out the including one person at a trade show who said the only demo unit that had a fix indoors was a serf 111 chipset.

Well I think you can read between the lines...If Garmin has ordered the chips from

Sirf Tech to incorporate into their product...that says a lot.

Here we go again...trade in dem 60cs's for the latest, and greatest reception in handheld GPS :0)