Why Can't I Find A 1/1?

Shop99er

Maybe this is something other cachers have experienced. Maybe not. Maybe I AM just to stupid to live....

I've found caches rated 4's and 5's on the difficulty scale. I'm fairly confident I can find 2's and 3's without much problem. Then why is it I can't find a stinking 1/1!!?? WHY!?

Anyone else having this problem?

Hmmmm...which cache is it? I often find 1/1 caches muggled or just

out of place. You would have to look at each circumstance differently.

I am a 500+ finder, easy and difficult.

I always keep in my mind that coords might be off, my GPS may not

be reading close enough at that moment, it could be cloudy or some-

thing obstructing the signal.

There is a whole host of reasons, as you know, that could be the reason.

Don't beat yourself up about it.

Read the hints, read the logs, & know the size cache you are looking

for.

Hmmmm...which cache is it?

Obviously you guys aren't understanding the intent of the post.

It's not a particular 1/1. It's not that I'm looking for suggestions on how to locate a cache. I've found over 900. Think I might know how to locate a cache by now.

It's 1/1's in general. It's an issue of being in the middle of a caching frenzy and seeing that the next one on the list is a 1/1. "Oh crap...it's a 1/1...I'll never find it".

It's irony. It's humor. You guys are wayyyyy to serious!

Maybe this is something other cachers have experienced. Maybe not. Maybe I AM just to stupid to live....

I've found caches rated 4's and 5's on the difficulty scale. I'm fairly confident I can find 2's and 3's without much problem. Then why is it I can't find a stinking 1/1!!?? WHY!?

Anyone else having this problem?

It's just you!!!! :ph34r::D

Then why is it I can't find a stinking 1/1!!?? WHY!?

Remember...

A bad day of geocaching is better than a good day at work.

Unless your boss is on vacation and you are surfing the forums all day, but that's another story.)

I'm feeling better already just thinking about it. :D

I always find myself giving up as soon as I'm within .2 miles of a 1/1 micro. That always makes it harder. At least on a 1.5/1.5, I can pretend I have something to look forward to. It's probably motivation.

Have you tried pretending you're a superhero trying to find the only vial of vaccine to a global pandemic? I haven't. But I have logged in Haiku, which can make any cache fun and exciting. Especially when you're caching with Mr. Miagi (aka Mr. 0).

well, if the cache is old enough, it might be from the era before you actually had to click on the terrain and difficulty ratings....

I remember several 1/1 caches that were nothing more than the product of the owner not rating the cache, and gc.com defaulting everything to 1/1...

those were vexing caches....

not that I haven't had the same problems as some of y'all, but a lot of that is cache owners who think a tiny micro container hidden in an urban setting constitutes a quick 'n easy find and therefore a '1' rating...

It's an issue of being in the middle of a caching frenzy and seeing that the next one on the list is a 1/1. "Oh crap...it's a 1/1...I'll never find it".

I know exactly what you mean. A bunch of times I've been out caching with friends and we DNF multiple 1/1's in a row, only to find the harder ones. And of course they ARE there. I'll get home and someone will have logged it saying "This was my first cache ever. I found it really quick.", just to add insult to injury. :D

Good thing there aren't any .5/.5 caches!

We've actually done an unofficial 0/0 cache. It was NIMBY on Oahu (which has been transplanted to Washington as IMBY not NIMBY).

Let me tell you we were scared as we drove up. We were pretty sure that there was no way in hell we were going to get this one. We did. The caching gods had smiled upon us because we had just given them blood at the Makapuu Bug Jar where there are man eating and woman poking plants.

Hi Mark. I also have problems with 1 x 1s. Many of those are the first cache that the owner has placed and just because he knows where he hid it, he thinks it should be easy for anyone. We lucked out an found that cache at the truck stop on the west side of I5 in that not too senic location that you had a DNF. Easy once you find them. BTW, I have canceled my trip to Illinois. It would cost me $100 a day just for gas. Dick, W7WT

My current nemesis is a series of six 1/1 micros. They are driving me crazy. The saddest part is they are seasonal, so if we don't get most of them by the end of this weekend then we'll lose our chance until Memorial Day 2006. I suspect some of them may be missing, but I'm not sure. Some I know are missing and haven't been replaced. It's killing us!

Pt. 1: 1st try - DNF, we thought it was missing because there was literally one place in the area to look, and it wasn't there. Confirmed by owner to have gone missing. He replaced it and moved the coords. Next try in new location -- DNF. Next try in new location -- DNF. Cache owner emailed me and basically told me exactly where to look. Finally made it back there today and found it (even though I swear we looked there before.)

Pt. 2: 1st try today - DNF. I am clueless where it could be. Cache owner posted a note that he replaced the log just two weeks ago, so it's likely there.

Pt. 3: Haven't tried yet.

Pt. 4: 1st try - DNF. A few days later had a conversation with another cacher and she asked where I was looking. I told her and she said that yup, I was looking in the right place. 2nd try - DNF, even though I now had confirmation of where the hiding spot was. 3rd try - DNF. *sigh*

Pt. 5: 1st try - DNF. I suggested to the owner that I was sure it was missing (the area was a big open space on the third base side of a ballfield, literally nothing in the area except a large concrete patch that I suspected once had bleachers on top of it.) Confirmed by another cacher who had previously found it that it was missing. Drove past the park a couple weeks later and we could see from the side of the road that the bleachers were back, so we pulled over. We did find where the cache had been, on a set of bleachers that was now on the first base side, but the cache itself was missing (found a large magnetic strip adhered to the underside of the bleachers, very obvious that it was once the spot.) Emailed the info to the owner to let him know it was indeed gone, no response.

Pt. 6: Haven't tried yet -- we need to complete the 1st five parts to get the clues we need for this one, which is a multi.

We're going to go after all of these this weekend and I really hope we find them. I hate to think we'd have to wait 8 months before we have the chance to complete the series.

!  Can you publish your caching schedule so the rest of us in the area can avoid that area and be able to find those easy ones?  We'd be so grateful. <_<

Alright...just so the caching community knows and can avoid the area...

We'll be in Orlando Sept 6th to the 12th

New York Sept 13th to the 19th

And we'll be in the Long Beach, CA area Sept 22nd to the 24th.

You've all been warned!

!  Can you publish your caching schedule so the rest of us in the area can avoid that area and be able to find those easy ones?  We'd be so grateful. :huh:

You've all been warned!

And there are rumors of Shop99er coming to Geowoodstock IV. That's gonna mess up a LOT of people all at one time!!!! <_<

!  Can you publish your caching schedule so the rest of us in the area can avoid that area and be able to find those easy ones?  We'd be so grateful. <_<

You've all been warned!

And there are rumors of Shop99er coming to Geowoodstock IV. That's gonna mess up a LOT of people all at one time!!!! ;)

We do what we can....:huh:

Um... because you're too stupid to live?

Yeah, I'm thinking that's it.

Y'all had best be back by the 27th, and IN Olympia.

Pretty bold talk for someone who blew off the Spring Fling AND GeoLuau 2.....

However, we're gonna try. Should be home on the 25th but the Mr. goes back to work on the 26th.

Edited by Shop99er