Hiking Boots

dirtymartini

Hiking boots are worth it for support and durability.

The best boots are the ones that fit YOU. Whenever this kind of thread appears you get responses like "Technicas are the best", or "You have to try Merrell". Well they are great boots - for THEIR feet. A boot that fits one person great can be living hell on another.

The key is to not worry too much about brands make sure you find a boot that fits YOUR FEET. To do this you have to visit an reputable bootfitter.

Of course brands are important to some extent. You do want a boot from a quality manufacturer. Some quality hiking bootmakers that come to mind are Technica, Lowa, Alcio, Vasque, LL Bean, Merrell, Salomon, Asolo, Scarpa, Zamberlan, Montrail and La Sportiva. But each mfr. makes their boot to fit a certain type of foot. For instance, Merrells fit narrow feet best.

Edited by briansnat

The best boots for hiking are the ones that fit your feet best. Individual manufacturers use different shaped lasts in their construction and you will need to try on many types to learn which bootmaker suits your pods best (for example, some are known for being wider through the ball of the foot, others are better for "low volume" feet, etc). A good outdoor retailer should have a nice selection to choose from as well as a knowledgeable staff to help you winnow down your options. Before you whip out the cash, wear your final choice around the store for a half an hour or so and, if possible, try them out on a ramp, both uphill and downhill.

You have already discovered the woes of heavy boots. Backpackers claim that a pound on your feet is equal to at least 5 pounds on your back. The old waffle-stompers of yore are no longer necessary or desireable, even for rugged packing, though a substantial shank will help support your feet over rougher terrain. Vibram soles wear like iron but can be a bit slippery on wet rocks. If you have odd bumps and knobs on your feet, note that leather can be spot stretched to account for your unique tootsie topography. Fabric and leather boots are lightweight and versatile and should need almost no breaking in, but all the extra stitching can be a weak point over the long haul.

Weatherproofness is an essential feature. To me, well-treated leather is still the ultimate in waterproof, breatheable footwear, but gore-tex linings have many fans. If you opt for gore-tex boots, you will still want to maintain the DWR (durable water repellancy) of the outer material (something sales reps usually don't know or mention). Fabric & leather dayhikers can even be made fairly waterproof with the application of Nikwax, a water-based polymer that doesn't reduce breatheability.

To echo the comments on the previously posted thread on this topic, you can do alot to customize a good fit further by lacing creativly, working out a good sock "system" for yourself (I use wicking liners with a midweight merino blend sock) and swapping the insoles (most stock insoles are of minimal to poor quality, even with expensive boots - they expect you to switch them if you are serious).

Good luck - hope this helps! :D

Cache on,

doggity

Edited by doggity
Thanks, I guess I should have done more of a search. I would really like to buy them from a real store so I can try them on, instead of on-line. The problem is I don't have much of a store selection where I'm at.

If you have to go mail order, be ready to send them back and try another pair.

Don't try to live with problems because you don't want to be bothered returning and trying something else. Those problems will be magnified when you are out hiking.

Recreational Equipment, Inc and Eastern Mountain Sports, two large outdoor retail chains that typically have good selections, excellent customer service/return policies and well-trained staff. Cabela's (the huge hunting/fishing outfitter) also has a retail store in Hamburg, PA. All have websites and online ordering.

I will need to either travel a ways to a decent specialty store or mail order.....with what I just read on CNN about $4 a gallon gas coming :D , I think I might try the mail order route !

For good deals on hiking boots check Sierra Trading Post. If you're going the mail order route, you may as well do it cheaply. They have great customer service and if you have to send the boots back, its not a problem.

Yep, your feet will tell you what fits best.

Go by features. For hiking, make sure you get gusseted shoes which have a closed tongue; this helps keep out stickers.

Then decide if you want/need waterproof shoes which will add to the cost and may add weight to the non-WP model. And despite claims of breathable Gore-Tex lining, my feet do perspire more with the Gore-Tex lining.

You may not have a choice in shoe laces, but get leather if you can 'cause the cloth type will collect stickers.

There are low-cut (std size), mid-cut and hi-cut (7-inch) boots, each with its pros and cons.

Some are steel-toe; others toe enforced.

And don't forget the right color; gotta look cool in them.

Good luck.

I went on a 55 mile backpacking trip with a 50-60 pound pack and I thanked God for my boots everyday. If you go to REI and tell whoever is in the shoe department what ur going for they will definetly help u find the right boot...and if you dont like it after you have beaten it up and muddied it you can just bring it back and get in-store credit.

You're not too far from the DC area...might be wise to venture down here and hit a Hudson Trail Outfitters (http://www.hudsontrail.com/) or an REI (http://www.rei.com/)...they take their time to fit you with the proper boot and they even have like a mock hill to walk up to ensure the proper fit.

That said, if you really plan to order online, I think I'd have to recommend Vasque. They sell inserts that fit various shapes of feet and it's amazing how good they work. For instance, when I tried mine on (4 years old...tons of hiking and they're still kickin'), they were a bit tight since I have big, ol', wide, Barney Rubble feet. But when he changed the inserts they felt like heaven. Great, durable boots.

There are tons of other great brands (got a pair of Garmonts for heavy packin') but I wouldn't recommend Docs...love the shoes/boots but they're not specifically designed for hiking. Hiking footwear normally has much more support through the arch and of course the ankle. Good luck.

Having gone through TWO (2) blisters on the same foot in exactly the same spot in a space of 3 months, I'm going to get some decent walking/hiking - shoes/boots in the very near future...

Definitely get something that fits and will stand up to your weight (my bigest problem I think) and where you are going.

My next stop, REI.

Where are you in PA?

REI has two store in your state and EMS has eight (mostly in the east), though their "mall versions" tend to be heavy on sweaters and light on technical gear.

REI ? EMS ?

REI EMS

I live in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area and of course there are no stores near me. Looks like mail order might be the way to go.

Depending on how far you would have to drive, going to a real store may save lots of time in repacking boots to send them back to try another pair. Having worked in the outdoors rec industry in stores for a few decades, it could take a couple of hours of trying boots on the find one that fits your foot. Whatever you do get a real hikking boot, not a hiking style of shoe. Also something that wraps your ankle would be a good choice.

Another benifit of going to a store to buy boots is that you can try several on at the same time to compare them.

Also, were the sox you will be hiking in, they can effect the fit of the boot,

For sox look at brands like Smart Wool, Thorlo, Wig Wam and Fox river to name a few. Stay away from cotton sox, they are not good for hiking and can lead to problems like blisters. Cotton will keep yur feet wet because cotton will not wick moisture away from your feet. I like sox with at least 30% Wool, 100% is best. the wool will wick moisture away from your feet and help to keep them dry and healthy

I checked on my map software, It looks like about a 90 mile drive to hamburg, I would make the drive, but thats me. I would think there is some kind of backpacking store closer. Try some of the web site for the companies listed above, most will have a place to enter your zip code that will list the dealers in your area.

Have you tried your phone book under backpacking or camping, there are lots of small shops around the country that will be able to help just as much as REI or EMS.

There might even be a lame micro in Cabellas parking lot :D

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I did a search of the Technica and Vasque web sites, there may be more.

Try these shopsVasque dealers

TOP OF THE SLOPE

100 SO. MAIN ST.

WILKES-BARRE, PA 18701-1604

717-822-6627 0 Miles

COUNTRY SKI SHOP

1080 WILKES-BARRE TWNSHP BLVD.

WILKES-BARRE, PA 18702-6163

717-824-0541 1 Miles

AMERICAN OUTFITTERS

7 WYOMING VALLEY MALL

WILKES-BARRE, PA 18702-6809

570-822-7602 1 Miles

UNCLE EYEBALLS

INLAND WATER SPORTS

418 UNION ST

LUZERNE, PA 18709

570-288-3999 Company Website

2.8 Miles

PLOTKIN SHOES

301 PENN AVENUE

SCRANTON, PA 18503-1211

570-343-2429 16.1 Miles

WILD BILLS SPORTS DEN

400 SOUTH STATE STREET

CLARKS SUMMIT, PA 18411

717 586-7167 19.4 Miles

GANDER MOUNTAIN STORE #210

955 VIEWMONT DR

DICKSON CITY, PA 18519

570-347-9077

Technica dealers

NATE'S OUTDOOR SPORTS

611 SOUTH STATE ST

CLARKS SUMMIT, PA 18411

570 585 1363

About: 16 miles

THE LOFT

SULLIVAN TRAIL

TANNERSVILLE, PA 18372

717 629 2627

About: 29 miles

NORTHEAST SPORTS

107 8TH ST

HONESDALE, PA 18431

570 253 1145

About: 38 miles

NESTOR'S SPORTING GOODS INC.

2510 MACARTHUR RD

WHITEHALL, PA 18052

610 433 6051

About: 41 miles

KAYTON COMPANY

1045 GRAPE ST

WHITEHALL, PA 18052

610 266 1045

ALICE'S WONDERLAND

1581 ROUTE 6

GREELEY, PA 18425

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I have wide feet and have a lot of trouble finding shoes and boots that fit. When I tried on a pair of Lowa boots, they actually felt like they were made for me. :P

Nothing compares to being able to try on and walk around in the boots you will be hiking in.

I actually bought a pair of Lowa boots on eBay for less than half of their retail price. I got another pair from Sierra Trading Post.

This summer I have been wearing a pair of Chaco sandals (Terreno sole) for most of the long walks and short hikes I've been on here. They are wonderful.

I did a search of the Technica and Vasque web sites, there may be more.

Try these shopsVasque dealers

TOP OF THE SLOPE

100 SO. MAIN ST.

WILKES-BARRE, PA 18701-1604

717-822-6627 0 Miles

COUNTRY SKI SHOP

1080 WILKES-BARRE TWNSHP BLVD.

WILKES-BARRE, PA 18702-6163

717-824-0541 1 Miles

AMERICAN OUTFITTERS

7 WYOMING VALLEY MALL

WILKES-BARRE, PA 18702-6809

570-822-7602 1 Miles

UNCLE EYEBALLS

INLAND WATER SPORTS

418 UNION ST

LUZERNE, PA 18709

570-288-3999 Company Website

2.8 Miles

PLOTKIN SHOES

301 PENN AVENUE

SCRANTON, PA 18503-1211

570-343-2429 16.1 Miles

WILD BILLS SPORTS DEN

400 SOUTH STATE STREET

CLARKS SUMMIT, PA 18411

717 586-7167 19.4 Miles

GANDER MOUNTAIN STORE #210

955 VIEWMONT DR

DICKSON CITY, PA 18519

570-347-9077

Technica dealers

NATE'S OUTDOOR SPORTS

611 SOUTH STATE ST

CLARKS SUMMIT, PA 18411

570 585 1363

About: 16 miles

THE LOFT

SULLIVAN TRAIL

TANNERSVILLE, PA 18372

717 629 2627

About: 29 miles

NORTHEAST SPORTS

107 8TH ST

HONESDALE, PA 18431

570 253 1145

About: 38 miles

NESTOR'S SPORTING GOODS INC.

2510 MACARTHUR RD

WHITEHALL, PA 18052

610 433 6051

KAYTON COMPANY

1045 GRAPE ST

WHITEHALL, PA 18052

610 266 1045

ALICE'S WONDERLAND

1581 ROUTE 6

GREELEY, PA 18425

Thanks, I'll check some of these out...but I know a couple of these places prices will be outrageous !

The prices may vary a bit, but with the price of gas being what it is, it may not be such a big deal compared to driving to Hamburg. Gander mountain is a big outfitter and may have better prices. Just because a store is small, it does not mean their prices are any higher, most retialers are going to keep an eye on the competitions prices. The stores I work at were not big chains, the largerst had 6 stores, they would send us to stores like REI to check our price structures and we would match them, in some cases we would beat the REI price.

I also does not hurt to ask if they have a price matching policy, some do.

A lot of your samll stores are going to have better trained personel. I have seen people rave abut REIs staff, myself, I have not found many REI employees that I would consider top notch, there are a few, bet they are the minority.

Wherever you go, it might be a good idea to call ahead and ask the manager who their best boot fitter is and try an pick a time when that person will be working.

Good luck with the boot search

As tough as it may be, I hope you can see that your search probably needs to include some actual time trying on boots to learn more about yourself and what's out there - and any well-stocked outfitter will do for that purpose. After that, you will be a much, much better mail-order consumer, should you decide to go that route and it will make web comparison shopping a lot easier too.

To concur with briansnat, Sierra Trading Post can have phenomenal mail-order deals - I've just about stolen gear from them, the prices were so good - BUT I always knew exactly what I wanted before I looked through their inventory.

The prices may vary a bit, but with the price of gas being what it is, it may not be such a big deal compared to driving to Hamburg. Gander mountain is a big outfitter and may have better prices. Just because a store is small, it does not mean their prices are any higher, most retialers are going to keep an eye on the competitions  prices. The stores I work at were not big chains, the largerst had 6 stores, they would send us to stores like REI to check our price structures and we would match them, in some cases we would beat the REI price.

I also does not hurt to ask if they have a price matching policy, some do.

A lot of your samll stores are going to have better trained personel. I have seen people rave abut REIs staff, myself, I have not found many REI employees that I would consider top notch, there are a few, bet they are the minority. 

Wherever you go, it might be a good idea to call ahead and ask the manager who their best boot fitter is and try an pick a time when that person will be working.

Good luck with the boot search

I agree. I do need to get out and try some quality boots on. It's tough to order anything on the internet if you don't know what you're ordering. I do the same with my motorcycle gear; I know exactly what I want and then shop for the best price. I DO like to support my local dealer/merchant when I can, but when the savings are substantial, I need to think about my own finances. I think I'll go check out the Gander Moountain near me and see what they have. I know the "DIck's Sporting Goods" near me has Morrell, I was there once and couldn't find anyone to assist me.....so if that's any indication of their level of interest....I'm not interested in spending my money there. I guess I need to check out some of the local outfitter stores and see what kind of deal I can find there.

I skipped most of the replies but I went with...

construction boots- they hurt my feet after a while- not bad when they got wet.

generic hiking boots- not good when wet, no comfort for the bottom of my feet after a long hike.

Sneakers- I felt great after a long hike hike but I need something that is waterproof.

I'm still looking but right now, my sneakers are it. (and getting incredibly dirty)

Dave

generic hiking boots- not good when wet, no comfort for the bottom of my feet after a long hike.

Sneakers- I felt great after a long hike hike but I need something that is waterproof.

I'm still looking but right now, my sneakers are it. (and getting incredibly dirty)

Dave

Then you are buying poorly made (cheap) hiking boots or boots that do not fit your feet. As far as being waterproof, some are made to be waterproof and some are not. A waterproof boot be more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

While sneakers may feel good, part of the reason for this is that they are softer than hiking boots and as such they do not give any real support. They have no ankle support, they have no lateral support, the sole on sneakers will slip on steep terrain. worst of all, they just are not safe to use when hiking in the back country.

It was not uncommon for me to have customers when I was selling hiking boots that had just taken a bad fall in the local hills because they hiking with sneakers and they lost their footing.

When some one is in the back county on a hike the most important part of their gear is their footware. If you want to be safe, buy good hiking boots, not the junk you see at places like payless shoes.

Sneakers are fine around town, but that is all they are good for.