Question From Team Pretorius

I'M USING THE G.M.'S COMPUTER BECAUSE MINE IS ON THE FRITZ.

THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON THIS FORUM. I AM BASED OUT OF NE INDIANA WHERE MY FAMILY AND I HAVE ENJOYED THE "SPORT" FOR A YEAR OR SO. I HAVE READ SOME THINGS ON HERE REVOLVING AROUND NOT MAINTAINING CACHES AND OVER SATURATION. MAYBE MY INITIAL IDEA ABOUT GEOCACHING IS WRONG, SO I WILL ASK THE WORLD FOR THEIR OPINION. MY WIFE FOUND AN ARTICLE ABOUT G C IN A MAGAZINE AND THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUN FOR THE FAMILY. SHE WAS RIGHT. I BOUGHT A LITTLE E-TREX AND WAS OFF. THE 8 & 4 YEAR OLD WENT CRAZY ABOUT THAT FIRST M-60 CAN WITH SOME MARDI GRA BEADS AND LITTLE TOYS INSIDE. WE WERE HOOKED AND COULDN'T WAIT FOR OUR NEXT OUTING. MY WIFE AND I WORK OUR TAILS OFF SO WE RARELY GET THE TIME TO "GET OUT" LIKE WE WISH WE COULD.

IN THE BEGINING THE CACHES WERE ALL LIKE THE FIRST, AND MY KIDS TOOK PRIDE IN COLLECTING LITTLE TIDBITS TO TRADE. WE WOULD HIKE AROUND LEARNING ABOUT NATURE (AND LAND NAV) SEEKING OUR PRIZE. WE REALLY DIDN'T CARE ABOUT HOW MANY WE FOUND, IT WASN'T ABOUT KEEPING SCORE. CITO CAME INTO PRACTICE AND WE TOOK PRIDE IN CLEANING UP OUR SACRED MOTHER. WE LOVED WHAT WE WERE DOING SO MUCH THAT WE SPREAD THE WORD AND CONVICNCED OUR FRIENDS TO TRY IT......HOOKED.

I FEEL THAT THIS PAST TIME (NOT SPORT) IS RAPIDLY BECOMING CORRUPTED BY THOSE WHO HAVE LOST THE SPIRIT OF GEOCACHING. THERE IS NO POT OF GOLD AT THE END OF THE RAINBOW. THE TREASURE HAS TRANSFORMMED INTO A 35MM FILM CANISTER. I AM NOT BASHING MICROS, THEY HAVE THEIR PLACE SUCH AS BUILT UP URBAN PLACES AND AREAS WITH HIGH MUGGLE TRAFFICK.

I FEEL LIKE THIS SIMPLE LOVABLE PAST TIME IS BEING OVER RUN WITH EGOTISTICLE PEOPLE WHO GAGE YOU BY YOUR "STATS". i HAVEN'T PLACED A CACHE YET BECAUSE I HAVEN'T FOUND THAT PERFECT SPOT THAT WILL CHALLENGE THE MIND AND SPIRIT. I HELPED ANOTHER CACHER PLACE A CACHE IN MY AREA THAT IS A TOTAL ADVENTURE AND SO FAR PEOPLE LOVE AND RAVE ABOUT IT. JUST ONE. AROUND HERE THERE IS A 35MM FILM CANISTER EVERY 500 YARDS. MY KIDS AND I HAVE TO SCROLL DOWN THROUGH THE WEB SITE JUST TO FIND ONE "REGULAR" CACHE. WHERES THE FUN IN A FILM CANISTER?

7.62 CANS ARE READILY AVAILABLE, OR MAYBE A COFFEE CAN WITH SOME MC DONALD LAND TOYS INSIDE. WHEN WE PULL UP TO A GRAVE YARD MY KIDS DON'T EVEN GET OUT OF THE CAR ANYMORE.

I HAVE AN IDEA, DESIGNATE A SITE FOR COMPETITIVE "RACE" CACHING AND LEAVE THE ORIGINAL GEO-CACHING SITE FOR QUALITY KID FREINDLY, FAMILY OUTING, KIND OF GEO-CACHING THAT EVERYONE WILL APPRICIATE AND TALK ABOUT.

SO WORLD, THERE IT IS. IF YOU CHOOSE TO EXPOUND ON THIS SIMPLE NOTION, FEEL FREE. MAYBE I AM WRONG, IF SO IT WON'T BE THE THE FIRST TIME. I MIGHT EVEN GO OUT AND BUY AN X-BOX AND STAY INSIDE.

TEAM PRETORIUS

Check the caps lock on your key board.

Re-post you message and I might be able to decipher what you are talking about. Sorry I'm not trying to be mean but I just can't read your post. In general you should try to use at least some puncuation, mostly correct grammer and approxamately correct spelling just so others can exchange ideas with you.

By the way post in all caps are interperated as shouting in most forums.

Edited by rusty_tlc

Thank you for critiquing my grammer. You have just highlighted the EGOTISTICAL aspect of what my qustion was about. I was simply seeking input, not your idea of how my thread should be composed. It's all about increasing the peace. I guess you judge a beer for the cool label instead of refreshing beverage contained within.

Thank you for critiquing my grammer.  You have just highlighted the EGOTISTICAL aspect of what my qustion was about. I was simply seeking input, not your idea of how my thread should be  composed.  It's all about increasing the peace.  I guess you judge a beer for the cool label instead of refreshing beverage contained within.

I don't think that he was being egotistical. :) I think that he wants to give you input, but it's hard if he can't understand your post. I was having a hard time focusing on all the capitol letters, as well.

And your response is hardly increasing the peace. Rusty was very polite in his request, and in return, you put him down personally, even though you don't even know him. :)

Edited by Ambrosia

Call me egotistical if you want, I don't care. Read the cache description. Micro means small like a film canister. Regular is probably what your seeking. You don't have to find them all. I have come to that conclusion because I personaly don't care for puzzle caches. At the same time I don't complain about them either. :)

I've only been doing this for a short time so can't say much about how it was before. I don't know if the sport/game has been degraded or just evolved into something neither one of us enjoys as much. I'd prefer well stocked ammo cans in areas that require a bit of a challenge to get to. However since I also haven't placed my first cache so don't want to get beat up by complaining about others hides. I want my first hide to be perfect so I'm taking way too long to do it. I've got the ammo cans, cool swag, and even new Washington state geocoins to place in it. Now to find that perfect spot that is a challenge to find and yet not to hard for me to do regular maintenance on it.

Anyway maybe you and I and others that think the way that we do will evolve this game/sport into something we can be happy with.

Just my $.25

I don't think that he was being egotistical.  I think that he wants to give you input, but it's hard if he can't understand your post. I was having a hard time focusing on all the capitol letters, as well.

And your response is hardly increasing the peace. Rusty was very polite in his request, and in return, you put him down personally, even though you don't even know him.

Maybe the guy attacked me first by judging my wonderful computer skills, who cares. Focus on the content of what I wrote. Would it matter if it was written in bright green crayon?

Use a PQ to pre-sort the caches in your area and 'remove' the micros from your list. Or use GSAK, there you can load everything and filter to just what you are interested in that day/weekend/time period.

I've noticed that around here it seems to be shifting from micro to puzzles for most of the new caches. I'm not sure, but that's what it looks like right now.

I don't think that he was being egotistical.  I think that he wants to give you input, but it's hard if he can't understand your post. I was having a hard time focusing on all the capitol letters, as well.

And your response is hardly increasing the peace. Rusty was very polite in his request, and in return, you put him down personally, even though you don't even know him.

Maybe the guy attacked me first by judging my wonderful computer skills, who cares. Focus on the content of what I wrote. Would it matter if it was written in bright green crayon?

Sorry I'm not trying to be mean but I just can't read your post.

Does this sound like a person who is attacking? :) You're not going to get along in here very well if that is what gets your dander up.

And as I said, content does not matter if you cannot understand it because of the way it is presented. And yes, that could include bright green crayon.

Edited by Ambrosia

Actually, he didn't attack you. He gave you netiquette lessons... something of which you lacked by posting in all caps and with little punctuation. It truly makes it hard to read. As a first timer on this forum, if you can't handle that little bit of advice, you're already stepping out on the wrong foot. As a correctional counselor, you are in a unique position to appreciate learning the right way to communicate when it's pointed out. And yes, sometimes it does matter what color you use to type with. Some colors are more difficult to read than others.

As for general upkeep of caches, micros instead of regulars; It would be a good idea to turn the look for the "Pot of Gold" into appreciate the experience of the hunt instead. You can't change a mindset of what a person (whom you can't control) will place for a cache, or how the contents will end up over time. But you can control how you experience the hunt.

It would be better. All caps is considered rude (It's FRIGGING YELLING). Fortunatly I'm an Engineer and write in all caps, and read plans in all caps so I can get past the unintended insult.

Then again, maybe green crayon isn't much better.

Edited by Renegade Knight
I want my first hide to be perfect so I'm taking way too long to do it.

My first cache was hidden one year after I started.

My second cache was hidden after two years after I started.

It doesn't matter when you start to hide, so long as you do it when you're ready and not a moment sooner.

As rusty tic kindly pointed out

"Check the caps lock on your key board.

Re-post you message and I might be able to decipher what you are talking about. Sorry I'm not trying to be mean but I just can't read your post."

This is not being EGOTISTICLE its about trying to understand your point, maybe agreeing with you, maybe not.

Yes, in this game there are some people who are in it just for the numbers. They never log a dnf as that would "look bad". There are people who dont care about the numbers and just like to "get out & about".

If you havn't found that perfect place for your cache, dont worry, its out there somewhere.

Just to add my $0.02 as someone who caches with a 7 and a 9 year old, everyone has personal preferences and just because something is a micro or in a cemetary does not mean that it is not something a family can enjoy. Of course it all depends on the quality of caches in your area. In mine we have found some very interesting micros that are usually placed somewhere that gives us a little history lesson about the area or brings us to an interesting place that just isn't suited to regular caches. My 9 year old loves them. We all prefer the caches with "treasure" as the boys say, but micros can be a whole lot of fun. And the ones we've done in cemetaries have been amongst our favorites. As several have said, if you don't like them, you don't have to do them.

As far as being overrun with egotistical people, I have found this to be the furthest from the truth. I am a relatively new cacher and I have been overwhelmed by the unsolicited outreach by the more experienced cachers in the area. Who is keeping tabs on your personal stats besides yourself? I have never heard of someone ever criticizing someone for having less finds or hides than they themselves do. If you have experienced this (which I assume you must have by what you say in your post,) then please share.

If your area is rampant with the problems you describe, then perhaps you should get involved in a way to try to make improvements. Get involved in your local geocaching organization or start one if none exists. Work within your community to improve the quality of caches for families. If you have such a big problem with the caches in your area, set an example for others in the placement of your own.

It would be a good idea to turn the look for the "Pot of Gold" into appreciate the experience of the hunt instead. You can't change a mindset of what a person (whom you can't control) will place for a cache, or how the contents will end up over time. But you can control how you experience the hunt.

Well said.

Thanks

I really didn't think people would focus on the "how to talk on the internet" as opposed to a simple message. I wasn't really looking for " computer etiquette " lessons. I guess that's what is important. I see now. These folks are right. I will just keep my thoughts to myself. I was looking for input about geocaching issues. I was undecided. Maybe someone could broadened my horizons about it. Now I just don't care. Save the whales and world peace to all, just don't use all caps because folks won't understand you.

It would be better. All caps is considered rude (It's FRIGGING YELLING). Fortunatly I'm an Engineer and write in all caps, and read plans in all caps so I can get past the unintended insult.

Then again, maybe green crayon isn't much better.

Ha! Thanks to an 8th grade drafting class(over 15 years ago!!), I frequently write in all caps. Some of my logs must look like I am yelling I guess!?!

As for the OP, there is always upgrading to premium(if you haven't done that already) for the nifty filter searches or if your too cheap, like me, hitting the ignore button on the offending cache page. But, you might miss out on some cool micros.

Edited by copper_toad
Thanks

I really didn't think people would focus on the "how to talk on the internet" as opposed to a simple message. I wasn't really looking for " computer etiquette " lessons. I guess that's what is important. I see now. These folks are right. I will just keep my thoughts to myself. I was looking for input about geocaching issues. I was undecided. Maybe someone could broadened my horizons about it. Now I just don't care. Save the whales and world peace to all, just don't use all caps because folks won't understand you.

So you're a CAPITALIST :)

I agree that the sport has degraded to film cans. I would like to see some more lock-n-locks or ammo boxes. But some micros are really clever hides and many people dont really trade items anymore unless its a travel bug. Perhaps that trend might change someday. I would like to see micros listed differently. Perhaps with a separate or different icon.

Gerbilmafia: :) This is our first forum posting -- mainly because of the very same treatment you've been receiving -- have noclue as to how to post or what it will look like. :D Seems there are so many thin skinned and short fused people anymore.....mostly misinterpreting your minor intensions. We'll prolly receeev kritique on dis posting 2!

We too, started the sport from reading a newspaper article and joined with the children in tow.....found a few caches the same as you and was hooked. Then the 35mm film canisters started popping up everywhere (yes, even in places where a regular or small cache could have been easily placed! We've even located micro's in the woods....go figure, but that's their perogative) and our family too was getting discouraged as well. ( :) the area is saturated with them, not giving newbees a chance to hide a cache, seems these placers are in for the numbers ) The placers also, may be doing a good job of planting them, and maybe not.....it's not us to decide or force our opinion on their doing. Bottom line: I guess, we as hunters, must decide on the caches we wish to locate.

P.S. From experience ( :) not this ID), you must also be careful in wording your log finds as well.....

well, here goes....pushing the button

--------------------

It looks to me like the original poster is finished with this topic. Personally, I think Awesome Ev's response to your duplicate post over here is...well...awesome. Good job, Ev.

To the rest of you who choose to focus on "Internet etiquette." One cutsie "ALL CAPS" post is probably enough. This is degenerating into bashing. I'm closing it down.

Oh, by the way, it's spelled "grammar." :)

Bret