The Most Fun I Ever Had Placing A Cache...

briansnat

"Photocaches" are becoming increasingly popular.

Quite some time ago in my geocaching career, I purchased a book called "Pittsburgh then and now" which is a coffee table book of full-page photographs. On the left side of the page is an historic photo of an urban scene, and on the right side is the exact same view in a modern photo. In some cases, quaint neighborhoods have been replaced by misguided urban renewal projects, or by expressways, or skyscrapers. In other cases, the area looks surprisingly similar.

It's been my intention all along to build a cache or two out of this book of photos, very similar to what Brian has done. I just need to buy a new flatbed scanner...

purchased a book called "Pittsburgh then and now" which is a coffee table book of full-page photographs. On the left side of the page is an historic photo of an urban scene, and on the right side is the exact same view in a modern photo. In some cases, quaint neighborhoods have been replaced by misguided urban renewal projects, or by expressways, or skyscrapers. In other cases, the area looks surprisingly similar.

I actually did photograph the areas shown on the cache page, so I have then and now photos. In one picture things were so different it took us quite a while to determine we were in the right place. In some others things look remarkably the same.

That is pretty cool. Did you come up with the idea or did you get it from another cache?

Written by Neil, not Jess. Guess the purple gave it away!

I've heard of photo caches before and did one with my "Big Picture" cache. I don't recall seeing any multis with pics, but I doubt I'm the first to think of it. The idea of using of antique photos was all mine.

Did it last night after work, well worth the visit, do plan on dinner there or lunch, or even a visit to the old time hardware store. It was great fun, I had previously done the Big Picture which was a lot of fun with my son. I also copied the picture idea from BrianSnat in laying out a cache in Wayne, Remembering a Man. This one was a nice way to unwind after work. Can't wait for more.