Is There More Waymark Listing Than Visiting?

I had a thought while everyone is talking about the various ways of getting Waymarking off to a good start.

There seems to be a daily infusion of new Waymarks under various Catagories.... seems like people are really enjoying creating new Waymarks.

But, are these Waymarks actually getting any Visits? You know.... anyone logging them?

I have three so far, and I don't expect that I am in the majority. So far, only one person has logged a Visit on one, the other two are ignored.

I realise that this is new and once locals catch on it will be different...

I just wonder if there is anything going on besides people making more and more places to visit, without anyone actually visiting.

:) The Blue Quasar

I think once things really get rolling with member category creation and the site and waymarks become available to all, you'll see more activity. Also we cachers are spoiled with having most waypoints available as .gpx PQ's and the likes of GSAK to keep it all organized. When that part of it gets implemented for waymarks then you'll see added interest as well.

I for one really want to see this succeed. A good database of any kind takes a lot of work and organizing to get off the ground and creating categories/waymarks will take precedence early-on. The beauty of it is we'll have some fun doing it. A year from now we'll still be having fun visiting the waymarks from a list of thousands.

Cheers, Olar

Nobody is making any waymarks in my area, so unless I visit my own, I can't visit any.

Pretty much the same for me here.

And I haven't logged any of my own waymarks yet because I'm afraid that if I do I'll be left feeling all hollow inside.

I think that after others start visiting my waymarks, I may actually go back to them physically and log my own visit. We'll see.

I think that you will have more waymarks added than visited, for a while, then it might even out. I think that the 'newness' factor applies. It's more fun to be 'the first one there' than to 'follow in some one's foot path.' I've seen this in the benchmarking area where people said that they went for ones that haven't been visited before and literally went by ones that have been visited. I, myself have had a preference to go for ones that had not been visited, but now that there are fewer of these kinds of sites (plus my person time has shifted) I have visited more of the marks that have been visited before.

In the Boston area, I see a few that are close by, but only one that I plan to visit. I also plan to place a waymark soon.

Woo... never mind. I found the "advanced search" feature finally. Now I can search by country :lol:

Edited to say:

Hmm.. can only search the low end categories. Oh well.. will wait for more search functionality later I guess.

VW

Edited by NomadVW

Maybe Im being a bit too thickheaded, its the heat you know....but where is the advanced search function? All Im able to see is that I can search by origins or postal code. Or search for categories by most popular, my favorites or newest. Is there another way? If so where is it? How do I search by country?

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Maybe I missed it, but was a real announcement made to the PM community about the fact that Waymarking is out there and in beta release?

If not, then it's not surprising that there are few visits and mainly waymark creation, since every area has a limited number of people that read up on the forums to see Waymarking discussions.

I'm not just talking about a few sentences at the top of the weekly geocache update (since some people don't sign up for that or throw it away without reading it some weeks). Maybe a specific "please come, check it out, try logging some visits" e-mail about the new function is needed.

Maybe I missed it, but was a real announcement made to the PM community about the fact that Waymarking is out there and in beta release?

No. Only Charter Members were notified so far. We'll be notifying all Premium Members this Thursday.

If not, then it's not surprising that there are few visits and mainly waymark creation, since every area has a limited number of people that read up on the forums to see Waymarking discussions.

That's very true.

I'm not just talking about a few sentences at the top of the weekly geocache update (since some people don't sign up for that or throw it away without reading it some weeks).  Maybe a specific "please come, check it out, try logging some visits" e-mail about the new function is needed.

When it is completely open we'll be adding plenty of text around so people know it exists.