Canadian Geocoins

Perch

Crap.... That Sucks :)

One reason is cost. It used to be that you had to do at least 1,500 coins and pay gc.com $1.50 for each coin in order to make them trackable on gc.com. That's an extra $2,250, although I've heard that they've dropped the requirements.

And remember that is US Dollars, so your production costs of creating the coin just went up by about 50%....

I just got a note back re: costs and I can do 500 personal coins for $1.50 per coin to track them. So that would drive my cost up by $750. Which isn't too bad -- except to be honest, I think of the 500 coins -- MAYBE 10-30 would be tracked more than once -- if that.

I put a little *bump* on my coin (thanks for the suggestion Ibycus) so that if someone really wants to track it, they can buy a TB tag and attach the "coin" to it. It costs more to do this PER coin, but overall I think less than 3% would even be released into the wild (except by me). Even fewer would continue after that.

BTW -- did you visit www.geocoins.ca, log the coin, and re-release it?

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog
I just got a note back re: costs and I can do 500 personal coins for $1.50 per coin to track them.  So that would drive my cost up by $750.  Which isn't too bad -- except to be honest, I think of the 500 coins -- MAYBE 10-30 would be tracked more than once -- if that.

Any coin that I keep that is trackable on gc.com I activate. Then, at events, I let people get the tracking number so they can log it. Then they get a new icon. So I think you might see more activated than you think. It would be interesting to see how many coins get activated, e.g. Germany coins.

That's true -- the person that trades or buys the coin is likely to activate it. I didn't think about the event logs -- so I guess that would result in multiple loggings of the coin. Which is somewhat cool, but at $1.50 per coin it doesn't make for the same thrilling reading as hearing about your travel bugs first stop in Europe etc, etc.

I plan to TB my new personal coin #50 and #100. This way, if they do end up in someone's personal collection -- at least I'll know they were ripped off. (especially if they post photos to the web! :P )

My first geocoin found was also Canadian Geocoin.. I was really pissed off when I realised that I don't get icon to my stats.. nowadays I left geocoins without gc.com tracking to caches..

How things change :rolleyes:

Canada's coin was one of the very first post-M10B V1.0 coins (possibly the first group/org/country coin). Prior to the deluge of trackability, people used to be excited about finding coins from Canada, Oregon, Texas, California, etc... Now they get pissed off.

Maybe I'll start leaving McToys instead of those crappy little non-trackable geocoins.

My first geocoin found was also Canadian Geocoin.. I was really pissed off when I realised that I don't get icon to my stats.. nowadays I left geocoins without gc.com tracking to caches..

How things change :blink:

Canada's coin was one of the very first post-M10B V1.0 coins (possibly the first group/org/country coin). Prior to the deluge of trackability, people used to be excited about finding coins from Canada, Oregon, Texas, California, etc... Now they get pissed off.

Maybe I'll start leaving McToys instead of those crappy little non-trackable geocoins.

Please don't! :blink: Even though you are in an area where I'll probably never cache, I would like to think I might find a coin you put in a cache. I found my first coin in a cache last week--a nontrackable personal coin. I am still thrilled! :rolleyes:

I know your post was tongue in cheek, but I want you to know there are some of us who like any kind of coin! :lol::D

There are alot of rare geocoins out there that are not trackable and still highly sought after. I could care less if a coin is trackable or not.

As it was stated previously, tracking wasn't available when they were minted. So you'll thumb your nose at a coin that uses a tracking method that was a work around for the lack of support on the geocaching.com page.

I have a Canadian geocoin back in my possession that had quite an journey. It's the coin I prize most in my collection. It traveled around the country, was auctioned on ebay, and ended up in my teammate's hands in Montana.

I'm not sorry for those of you that feel inconvienced because you didn't get a precious icon for your stat page. Non-trackable coins are ligitimate items for caches. Just because you didn't like it, doesn't mean others will share that opinion.

I know your post was tongue in cheek, but I want you to know there are some of us who like any kind of coin!  :ph34r:  :unsure:

I have an extra Canada Geocoin available for trade, if anyone is interested, please get in touch either here or via my List of Coins.

--Marc

October 12, 2005 @ 9:21 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

when you buy a canadian coin i believe it is activated to your name. i put one in a cahe still in its plastic bag and even though i didn't activate the coin i still get e-mails when it is logged

so that sucks when trading..

Edited by xfalcon1
when you buy a canadian coin i believe it is activated to your name. i  put one in a cahe still in its plastic bag and even though i didn't activate the coin i still get e-mails when it is logged

so that sucks when trading..

The http://www.geocoins.ca site will transfer ownership of the activated coin. However, I don't know whether they "clear the slate" or if that's even an option.

--Marc

October 12, 2005 @ 10:54 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'