2gb Sd Card V Ipaq

steviep

I have a hp ipaq pocket pc 2210.which I got with tom tom from pc world with a 286mb sd card, then I ( well someone did it for me!) added poi for all speed camara's, and then cache's from guk but the memory was not big enough so I sort advice & bought a 512mb sd card which was ok then I added a portion of memory map still o.k! Now I've got gpx view , but can't open because "not enough memory" darn thing! now I need another sd card with even bigger memory, so I went to my local computer shop to enquire about these 1gb sd card & they said there is also a 2gb sd card available but I need to check it is compatible with my ipaq first as no refund or exchange availabe when opened.

So do I go ahead and get the 1gb, 2gb sd card or buy another pocket pc.

Please be gentle with your replies as I know very little about computers.

abacus yes! calculator no!

Steve

cringe "hope above makes sense!"

Edited by steviep

I use a 1GB sd card with my ipaq, with gpxview, speed cameras, memorymap and still have about 400MB left, despite having lots of map areas saved. Have you tried putting some programs over to the SD card instead of in the internal memory area, less programs on the internal memory leaves more space to actually run them when needed.

stay safe

Bill

I use a 1GB sd card with my ipaq, with gpxview, speed cameras, memorymap and still have about 400MB left, despite having lots of map areas saved. Have you tried putting some programs over to the SD card instead of in the internal memory area, less programs on the internal memory leaves more space to actually run them when needed.

stay safe

Bill

don't know how to transfer programs!

have gone into settings tapped system, tapped memory & I have allocated 37.55mb in use28.77 free 8.78

program alloc 19.54 in use 11.09 free 8.45 & the slideing scale bar is nearly 3/4 to the right.

Have not got a clue what I just said

I think marinor is on the right track.

I too have an iPaq 2210 with a 512Mb SD card. I run GPXSonar, TomTom, CheckPOInt (Point Of Interest) and Memory Map.

On a couple of occasions I have had trouble with the iPaq opening programs and have had the memory too low message. You have to be careful how many caches you have listed on your machine, I tried it once with about 3,000 - it didn't like it! :anitongue: and wouldn't run two programs at the same time.

Also be careful about the size of map you use with memory map. I try and use between 3 and 12 Mb.

How many caches have you got listed on your PDA at the moment?

How many applications are you running at any one time? Have you got TomTom running at the same time as everything else?

If you have the Peak District map loaded as one file, it may take up a lot of memory. When I load it onto mine, I split it up into 3 or 4 chunks using the "Send visible map section" option.

Edited by nediam

I've never used GPX view so I can't say how much memory that uses. I just use GPXSonar for my cache pages.

Don't click any of the programs you listed under the "remove programs" list as it will delete them off the PDA not just close them.

To find out what programs you have running at any one time, press the small, bottom right button on the PDA. That will bring up a small menu where you can access currently running programs.

Start - Programs - iPAQ Backup. Then click on the dots to the right of "File", give the file a name, and choose "SD Card" as the location - then OK, then press "Backup" and let it complete. Then do a soft reset (poke the pointer through the hole on the back). It's also iPAQ Backup if you need to restore.

It's worth doing this from time to time: the backup files are quite small. Should you be forced to "hard reset" your iPAQ, you'll lose all the installed programs, any settings for Bluetooth etc., and anything else you've saved to the iPAQ internal memory! If you have a backup file it's easy to restore all this in a few moments.

HH

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but the issue is most probably due to the PDA base memory filling up i.e. the memory that is in the device not the memory card.

Try this; whilst installing your apps it will ask you do you want to install the various products into the standard location

Click No, and a box comes up with a drop down there are usually 2 options

1 Main Memory

2 Storage Card

Choose storage card, and finish the install in the usual way

This leaves more memory for the PDA to use to run programs.

Of course you still might require a larger Memory card, but it should resolve the low memory errors

Steve if you need greater clarification send me an email and I will send my phone number

Milton (aka moote)

Quick question for the initiated. I have a Pocket PC. Anything over about 500 caches (3mb) in GPXSonar takes for ever to load. If I move over programs off the internal memory to my 1gb SD will I be able to open more in GPXSonar?

Yes see me reply above, the PDA uses its base memory as working memory and the more it has the better it works, get an Ultra fast storage card 72 speed or above and the progs run like sh off a shovel :unsure:

Milton (aka Moote)

500 is my limit for a single GPX file, prefer to have it with nearer 350 max per GPX file. My iPaq (a 2210) is a lot quicker than my old 1910 was. The 2210 has a 400MHz processor and is much quicker than the 1910 with its' 200MHz chip.

I split mine up into several smaller GPX files.

500 is my limit for a single GPX file, prefer to have it with nearer 350 max per GPX file. My iPaq (a 2210) is a lot quicker than my old 1910 was. The 2210 has a 400MHz processor and is much quicker than the 1910 with its' 200MHz chip.

I split mine up into several smaller GPX files.

By doing what I have suggested in my last 2 post I have had files of a couple of thousand opened on my MIO 168 which is low spec memory wise. It's about memory management and not processor speed

Milton (aka moote)

I have a list of SD cards and how they perform in various iPAQ's here:

http://www.durrans.com/cardspeed/

The rated speed of a card has little effect on how it performs in your device. The X speed that is often quoted tends to refer to the write speed while the maximum read speed remains constant at around 10Mbps. In an iPAQ you are unlikely to ever see these maximum speeds.

I would recomend you go with a known brand card as these tend to be more reliable. Sandisk, Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, ATP are all ok.

A good place to buy I have found is xlshop.com which appears to have the cheapest prices and cheapest delivery cost.

Dan

I've just bought a 1gb Viking SD card from ebuyer for £39.99, including free postage. Used it all holiday while away in Wales. Worked a treat... two mm maps and over 500 caches in gpx format and spoiler pics... still had loads of space left on the card.

Cheers! Dom

Bye eck thats reasonable can you send me the link!

Thinking about these issues I might write a guide and post a link to it on here \I'm sure that it will help all you PocketPC users, 50% of my present job is dealing with these little nightmares so I will pool my knowledge into an easy to read (with pics) document.

Milton (aka moote)

I might write a guide and post a link to it on here

Sounds a good idea Milton - I'd be interested for one. :D

I would as well Please. :ph34r:

OK you have all twisted my arm I will set about it soon, just getting some software to take some screen shots of the PDA so that it looks professional :lol:

Milton (aka Moote)

I might write a guide and post a link to it on here

Sounds a good idea Milton - I'd be interested for one. :D

I would as well Please. :D

OK you have all twisted my arm I will set about it soon, just getting some software to take some screen shots of the PDA so that it looks professional :P

Milton (aka Moote)

I'd like to express an interest too!

Thanks in advance Milton.

Document in process; but here is a vital tip that I missed, probably the biggest memory saving tip also.

Create a folder called My Documents on the SD card you are using and store all your GPX files in that folder and not in the one in the standard memory.

This tip cold save you around 3M in the devices base memory for each file if using large GPX files

WARNING Do not delete the other My Documents folder you still need that

Milton (aka moote)

Edited by moote