Trying To Start A New Trucker/rv Gc Club

A small group of us over the road drivers are trying to organize and form a club for those of us that travel the highways and byways of North America.

We would eventually like to have a large enough group that we can support each other in the placement and maintinence of truck/rv friendly caches across the country on GC.com. And hopefully even have events from time to time.

We are looking for folks to help join in building a club and website to serve as our clubhouse from the ground up.

What we want and need from you at this point are ideas for what you would like to see in a website, or better yet your more direct input in the form of graphics and suggestions for a logo as well as stories, either tales of your adventures, or pointers for newbies, etc.

If you are interested in joining the group while it is still forming, now is a good time to be part of the core group as it forms.

Please check in here and tell us what you think.

Hello to all from the webmaster of geocaching.com

My name is D.J., not to be confused with -DJ- (TwoTruckers) :anitongue: I'll be working over the next few day's, weeks, and months on the development on geotrucking.com. TwoTruckers has already said what we need from all of you so no need for me to repeat it.

Anything from a simple scetch on a sheet of paper to full blown graphics etc is very appreciated.

Please send your comment's suggestions, ideas etc to webmaster@geotruckers.com or fax to 815-846-0718.

As two truckers mentioned, we could use articles for use on the site. I only reflect the view of one person and that could get very boring very quickly. To keep the site fresh we need the input of others.

I've got some information up on the site about how you can help. I'm currently working on a forum for us to hold our discussions in. Please feel free do drop by and contribute.

I look forward to developing this site and the good things that I belive can come out of it.

Thank you.

djstern

hello..since i'm a local truck driver here in vegas i would be honored to help out here in some way..i'm not that great at the computer stuff but can look after some cache's...thank you :anitongue:

Spooner, that's exactly the kind of supporet we are looking for. It just so happens that my wife and I were in Vegas a few weeks ago and did some caches on the strip. Lot's of them were virtual, but there were a few real one's as well.

I saw a couple of places that would have made for great cache locations on the strip. I've thought about it a lot since then. We get up there every so often (a few times a year) but not enough to maintain a good cache.

I'll definately take you up on your offer next time we're through Vegas. Maybe we could get together for lunch or something.

Thanks very much for the offer.

djstern

WebmasterofGeoTruckers.com

UPDATE:

I've installed two sample forum programs on geotruckers.com. Please take a look at each one and let me know what you think of each. Keep in mind that you're ONLY looking at the function and usability of each. I've done no changes on the color scheme or configuration yet. That will come later once a program is chosen. No point in a lot of work on the one that isn't chosen. :anitongue:

Both forums are virgin and have no postings. Feel free to put in whatever rubbish you like and play with it. Plenty of gobbledygook to fill the pages and create threads and replies. I've added a few random categories that display my slightly warped since of humor in one of them. Don't carry on a discussion you want to keep. It'll be removed once the permanent install is done.

Please let me know what ya'll think of the user's interface. In the mean time I'll work on the back end and see what's easiest to administer.

geotruckers.com

Thank you.

Edited by djstern
UPDATE:

I've installed two sample forum programs on geotruckers.com. Please take a look at each one and let me know what you think of each. Keep in mind that you're ONLY looking at the function and usability of each. I've done no changes on the color scheme or configuration yet. That will come later once a program is chosen. No point in a lot of work on the one that isn't chosen. :anitongue:

Both forums are virgin and have no postings. Feel free to put in whatever rubbish you like and play with it. Plenty of gobbledygook to fill the pages and create threads and replies. Don't carry on a discussion you want to keep. It'll be removed once the permanent install is done.

geotruckers.com

Thank you.

Ummm... don't see 'em anywhere. ???

As for support of trucker placed caches... I'd be available to babysit caches in the Knoxville area. I've been looking (mentally and physically) at the nearby truckstops and trying to figure out places to hide some caches there. We've got a good supply of truckstops out here in West Knoxville (TA, Pilot, Flying J, Petro... you name it, we've got it!) as well as several truck dealerships (like the monster Freightliner dealership just around the corner from the Flying Hook)... and the *ahem* famous I-40 super-coop. I'm not sure how the diesel bears would feel about trucks parking at the scales to look for caches though.. heh. Too bad we can't do locationless caches anymore.. I'd make one where you have to snap a photo of a CMV officer inspecting your truck or something. <_<

If the scales here were setup like the ones in Kentucky where they close down at night and allow trucks to park overnite (Truckers Rest Haven) that might be another story. But for the time being I'll try to focus on truck stops. I'm also planning on trying to come up with some kind of list of non-truck stop parking areas for trucks. I know there's a few places on US 411 where drivers park trucks and drop trailers when returning to their home 20 for a few days. (We've dropped a trailer or two in most spots before).... and see about sticking a cache near most of these areas. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the sport though, just placed my first cache about a month ago and have adopted 4 that were in danger of archival (owner moved out of state). So bear with me.

I'm a member of the Great Smoky Mountains Geocaching Club as well. We are currently working on restoring our own website after a server shutdown. Once everything gets up and running and people start checking back in, I'll bring this up on the club forum there and try to create an awareness among the local cache placers that more large vehicle accessible caches need to be placed in the area.

Hopefully we can get enough support in this endeaver to keep a fresh supply of quality caches for drivers to hunt during their downtime.

Glad to see things have been straightened out and looking forward to seeing this idea soar!

Z

and the *ahem* famous I-40 super-coop.  I'm not sure how the diesel bears would feel about trucks parking at the scales to look for caches though.. heh. 

'bout fell out of my chair with that one. *grin*
Too bad we can't do locationless caches anymore.. I'd make one where you have to snap a photo of a CMV officer inspecting your truck  or something.  :anitongue:

Bite yur tongue.

If the scales here were setup like the ones in Kentucky where they close down at night and allow trucks to park overnite (Truckers Rest Haven) that might be another story.

Ky is the best on that. The only state I know of that actually say's a bear can't mess with you.

I know there's a few places on US 411 where drivers park trucks and drop trailers when returning to their home 20 for a few days.

Keep in mind that many companies have a strict policy about dropping trailers. Even if you do get away with it, heaven forbid something should happen it'd end your career. I never recommend dropping anyplace but a drop yard unless you have express permission from the company.

I'm a member of the Great Smoky Mountains Geocaching Club as well.  We are currently working on restoring our own website after a server shutdown.  Once everything gets up and running and people start checking back in, I'll bring this up on the club forum there and try to create an awareness among the local cache placers that more large vehicle accessible caches need to be placed in the area. 

Hopefully we can get enough support in this endeaver to keep a fresh supply of quality caches for drivers to hunt during their downtime. 

Glad to see things have been straightened out and looking forward to seeing this idea soar!

Z

It don't even have wings and it seems that it's already trying to fly. I can't belive the response I've seem from retired truckers, local drivers, non truckers and RV'ers on the topic.

I need to get a framework on the site first, but one of the first tasks at hand for me is to get a set of guide lines posted on the site for trucker friendly caches. ie: most malls don't allow truck parking and will tow, or the trucks a local always see someplace may be there on business delivering and the rest of us can't just park there 'cause it's not a truck stop. I'll have to make it sound prettier but you get the idea.

Nice to see some activity in the new loction. I read the thread on GeoWoodstock 2006, http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=105702 We are planning to attend this event in the Dallas area. Perhaps we could get some of our truckers there as well and as our newly forming club to find a way to shuttle drivers from a truckstop to attend?

Edited by TwoTruckers

Thanks. It was late and I was sleepy so didn't get the configuration between to two programs to match very well. Because of that, it was kinda like comparring apples to oranges. I've set them both up with similar categories and sub categories so they should be more compairable now.

Please take another look and let me know what you think. The comparisson should be more honest and fair between the two now.

Hopefully, I'll make a final decision what one to use in a day or two and we'll have a real place to meet.

Work is going well on the new site. Most of it is currently on my machine but I hope to have it uploaded shortely. I've been lucky to have a good layover day that has allowed me plenty of time to work on the site.

Right now I'm in need of some graphic work. If I could get some help on that, it would free me to focus on other things. I know we have a lot of good talent on this site. Now is the time to show off.

I need 3 images currently.

1: We'll call this one logo1. A square image similar to the 4 color geocaching image. I'm thinking of the 4 colors with a truck and RV superimposed on it. Make it about twice of the size of what's on the geocaching.com site so it can be resized as needed. It should also have the text "GeoTrucking" at the bottom of it.

2: We'll call this one logo2. Same as logo1 except for twice the width. The logo from logo1 should be on the left half and text on the right half. The text I need on the right half should be something like GeoTruckers Forums.

Something like this.

|              |              |

| LOGO1    |  TEXT    |

| HERE      |  HERE    |

---------------------------

Hope that makes since. Kinda hard to draw pictures in text. :unsure:

3: Main banner: A banner of about 800X200 or 800X300 or so. I'm not really sure just what I want here. It should reflect three things though. Geocaching, Trucking and RV'ing. This banner would be used for the main banner of our site at the top of the page. I'm totally open to ideas here.

4: Wallpaper: A image for use as wall paper on the site. Relitavely small, about 2-3 inches square [rectangle?] (give or take) that tiles well. Possibly pastel or water color in style. It needs to be colored in a way that I can place text over it that can still be easily read.

These are only concepts. I'm open to ideas that would fit. The dimensions need to be close but the style is open as long as it represents the three aspects of the site (geocaching, trucking, RV'ers.)

If your into graphics, now is the time to show off. I know we have a lot of good talent here. We could use some of it on the site.

TruckerBears, I understand that you did the second image on the old site. That was good work. If your still willing to be a part of this, I'd like to see more of your work.

I'm also thinking that that graphic might have good future use as a geo coin or t-shirt logo or something. I'd like to have a copy of that image in my image library for geotrucking.com. I would like to see a RV added to that image to represent those members of our site, and I'd like to see a version with the US instead of the globe. It would be neat to compair the two versions (golbe vs. us).

Please send your work as a email attachment to webmaster@geotruckers.com.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. Together, we'll have a great site in time.

Now, hi-ho hi-ho, it's off to work I go.

djstern.

Edited by djstern
TruckerBears, I understand that you did the second image on the old site. That was good work. If your still willing to be a part of this, I'd like to see more of your work.

Yes, the globe and truck one was my creation, but was only a mock-up. Thank you for the compliment! I appreciate that. The logo wasn't quite what I wanted, but was a quick test just to visualize an idea.

I'm also thinking that that graphic might have good future use as a geo coin or t-shirt logo or something.

Really? Wow. Never considered that aspect...

I'd like to have a copy of that image in my image library for geotrucking.com.

On this we'd have to chat, not because of the things in the past (which I sincerely hope we're over now), but because the master file is in a format that I find most people don't have the software to access. Please contact me offlist so we can hash out file format details.

I would like to see a RV added to that image to represent those members of our site, and I'd like to see a version with the US instead of the globe. It would be neat to compair the two versions (golbe vs. us).

TwoTruckers suggested this, too, and I've been looking for good satellite images of North America to use (these are not as easy to find as one would initially suspect). Plus, I would need someone to give me the names of major and/or popular RV manufacturers so I could look for good publicity shots of their rigs, like the publicity shot of the Peterbilt I used in the original. Unfortunately, I'm not as up on RV makers as I am on truck makers... :)

You had previously mentioned (in another post) that you're not as good with "front end" designs as you are with the "back end" of sites. I tend to be just the opposite. Perhaps we could discuss my ideas for the look as well. I've been trying to work on a design proof today, but have been distracted with other things all day long, so haven't gotten very far. When I have something ready to show, I'll post a link to it (it'll be basically just a picture) for people to view and consider.

Later,

K of N&K/TruckerBears

It's nice to see us getting along for a change. I sincerely hope it's the beginning of things to come.

I prefer a PNG or TIFF as a second choice or go ahead and send the image as it. I have't seen a file format that I can't open yet. I've got many of the imaging toy's. Just haven't had the time to get good at playing with them. Way too many projects going on at one time but hope find time to play with them more some day.

On the RV images, Fleetwood RV comes to mind. Their one of the bigger ones. You should find something you like there. You might give Holiday Rambler a try. On the left side of the screen is a link to each of their rigs. Just place your mouse over the rig's name and it should pop up a picture of the rig.

There are many more, but those are a couple of the big boy's. Just be careful that you don't do a picture of a RV goind down the road with the slide out's extended on the sides. :) Sounds dumb, I know but easy to do.

Well, I just got loaded and running to the other coast so I won't have nearly as much time as I've enjoyed the past couple of day's. I'll try to get as much work done on the site as I can in the evenings but things are goind to slow down for a while.

I will be able to get a permanente discussion forum up easily enough once we decide what one we want to use. There we can conduct the conversations that would bore the rest of the geocachers to death. :)

Edited by djstern

Well I'm not a trucker but I am a truckers daughter and a truckers wife. I use to go with my father when I was younger but he is retired now. I am married to a driver and use to go with him all the time. I started caching about 2 years after him and I were married and we didn't have our own GPS so we had to borrow one from our friends.. Unfortunatly we never got the chance to actually be driving and caching on our 8/10 hour... I have only found one that is along the interstate. It's the I80-90 WB. in NE IN... I don't live real close to and interstate , I live in the middle of nowhere and there really isin't anyplaces to put any "bigtruck" caches out... I have thought about it, and since I've just found this thread I'll be considering it. I know it is hard to find a place to park a 70' rig is a bit of a challenge, and like others said finding a place that is interesting and still kinda close for ya'll to park. I'm not a big fan of the parking on the exit/entrance ramps 4wheelers and bigger sometimes don't watch what they are doing. I realize that there are many challenges placing a big rig friendly cache. I think that it is a wonderful Idea and I wil be trying to find some along the streach of a couple of counties in NE IN.... :)

Be safe

and

happy caching.... :)

I'm also thinking that that graphic might have good future use as a geo coin or t-shirt logo or something. I'd like to have a copy of that image in my image library for geotrucking.com. I would like to see a RV added to that image to represent those members of our site, and I'd like to see a version with the US instead of the globe. It would be neat to compair the two versions (golbe vs. us).

Frank here,

I agree the graphic needs to be reduced from the world to a smaller geographic area. My thought: In the trucking industry and RVing, these two avenues involve Canada, Mexico, and the U.S. I know alot doesn't involve Mexico, but Canada is involved quite a bit. With this said, I think the graphic should be of north america instead of the U.S. by itself. Feedback anybody?

Later,

Frank

djstern suggested:

I would like to see a RV added to that image to represent those members of our site, and I'd like to see a version with the US instead of the globe.

I said:

TwoTruckers suggested this, too, and I've been looking for good satellite images of North America to use.

Frank of TwoTruckers suggested:

In the trucking industry and RVing, these two avenues involve Canada, Mexico, and the U.S. I know alot doesn't involve Mexico, but Canada is involved quite a bit.

I present now a VERY crude work-in-progress: Sample Logo. If this is the direction the group feels I need to be heading in, please let me know. Likewise, if I'm going the wrong way, I need to know that, too.

Note that this is a mock-up using most of the elements from the original globe-logo I produced, which is why parts may look familiar. All are open for change, if need-be.

K of N&K/TruckerBears

Seemd fine to me. Need to make the RV a little smaller. Can't have anything bigger on the road than a truck. :D Also a slight adjustment on the angle of the RV to match the up/down angle of the truck, but I expect that the clean up will take care of that. Otherwise, the obvious clean up and it'll look good.

Well, as a driver in the western states, and having grabbed caches in 20 states, most from a kenworth, count me in. I can put together the list of caches I have found that are eazy/kinda eazy to get to in rest areas, exits and such that I have been to. Currently I have placed several in restsops or exits in the west Utah desert that can be gotten to.

I'm not a trucker, but pull a 36ft gooseneck horse trailer sometimes and would love to have a list of caches I can get to while travelling.

I'd be happy to keep an eye out for truck friendly caches in my area as well as hide a few if I can find good spots for them.

Is anyone keeping a list, yet?

In Ohio:

Passenger Pigeon is on US 23 south of Waverly (rest area).

The "King's" Cache II is on 62 south of Hillsboro (rest area).

Mini Micro #9 is on US 50 in Hillsboro (rest area).

Potty Break Anyone? is on rt 7 above Proctorville (rest area).

1: We'll call this one logo1. A square image similar to the 4 color geocaching image. I'm thinking of the 4 colors with a truck and RV superimposed on it. Make it about twice of the size of what's on the geocaching.com site so it can be resized as needed. It should also have the text "GeoTrucking" at the bottom of it.

I had been thinking of something like this too... but I don't have the graphics know-how (read: artistic ability) to do it... but was thinking... we take the geocaching.com logo (this one)

logo_home.gif and replace the guy in the yellow square with a rig and the flag in the orange square with an RV... black & white silhouettes of course. Then add "fog lines" around the dotted lines in the green and blue squares to make them look more like roads. Replace GEOCACHING.COM with GEOTRUCKING.COM. The logo would be original since the only thing remaining of the GC.COM logo would be the colors, but would still be recognizable by cachers. The graphic changes would also allow the logo to be used for a coin where the color would not be needed to differentiate it from the GC logo.

I'll try to make a mock-up version to upload soon. Just gotta sniff out some images to use for the black & whites. But it's past my bedtime already so I'll have to work on it tomorrow night after work.

EDIT: I'm sending a copy of the image ( I changed the GEOTRUCKING.COM to GEOTRUCKERS.COM) and an email to Groundspeak to get the official ruling on it before I do anything more. (Well, not really... I'm still going to tinker a little here and there to see if I can get it cleaned up some... but will scrap the project all together if they say "NO")

I'll let you know what they say as soon as I hear from them.

Edited by TeamZebra
OK.. I lied... Now remember folks... I'm not very good at this and I'm REALLY tired right now.. but this is basically what I was talking about.. I did this in about 10 minutes with Microsoft Picture It so it's REALLY not what I wanted.  But I need to dig around and figure out which image program on my computer will do what I want.  The truck and RV are very basic and more outlines instead of the silhouettes I wanted... but Picture It won't do fills and I can't stretch it the way I wanted.  I have/had a program here somewhere that would do it, I just gotta find it when I have a little more time.  But you get the basic idea I think.

Copyofgeotrucking_logo_1.gif

The image posted here is in .GIF format.  I also have it saved in .TIFF (but Village Photos won't let me upload it there) and .PNG which still has the individual elements (layers??) separated for editing.  I'll probably have to start all over once I find the right program because I don't think the layer thing will work with a different program.  But... well... it's rough... but maybe a start?

My only concern regarding going this direction is that this use of the GC logo goes beyond personal use and may constitute some degree of copyright infringement. We don't want to create any problems with GC.com. Perhaps contact someone higher up to get permission first.

Check out the terms of use for the logo. http://www.geocaching.com/about/logousage.aspx

Here is brief quote:

"No web development, web design, web graphic designer or web hosting firm can use the Groundspeak Geocaching logos without paying a developer's license fee if they plan on altering the logos for their client(s). For information on commercial licenses, please send an email inquiry to logo@Groundspeak.com.

The user of a personal website is not permitted to commercially exploit any of the Groundspeak Geocaching logos. Nor can the web user transfer the Groundspeak Geocaching logos to any third party. Any reprinting, sublicensing, copying, modifying, publishing, assignment, transfer, sales, or other distribution of the Groundspeak Geocaching logos contained within this website or any other website is strictly prohibited without the prior written consent of Groundspeak. The user shall not copy, reverse engineer, translate, port, modify or make derivative works of the Groundspeak Geocaching logos without express written permission from Groundspeak."

If you want to read the entire section it is at http://www.geocaching.com/about/logousage.aspx

I was concerned with this when I took the colors for use in my avatar, but after looking into it a little deeper felt that it was covered under personal use. However use by a club may be a different issue all together.

I'm not trying to be a stickler here, just trying to keep any bigger problems from coming up in the future.

Edited by TwoTruckers

The Groundspeak T.O.U. for the Geocaching Logo aside, and despite the fact that the name and two of the four squares' images were changed, the proposed use of the Geocaching Logo is a clear violation of copyright and would get the club into potential legal issues. Yes, it has been said in the past (with issues about music sampling, specifically Queen vs Vanilla Ice) that all that needs to be changed is 10% of something to make it original, but do you really want to go there? We'd be the Vanilla Ice to their Queen, and that is just... ew. Brand recognition being what it is, anyone whose seen the Geocaching Logo would know the proposed Geotruckers Logo based on it is a ripoff of it. Now, if Groundspeak specifically gives this club permission to modify their logo for our use, that'd be one thing. We'd have permission to do with it as we please, or at least as much as they would allow us. However, I just think it'd be best to present something unique and original, something decidedly *US* that still has ties to our origins (Geocaching.com) but cannot be mistaken for them without close scruitiny.

Also, before people get things too confused, we cannot use the domain name GeoTrucking.com as that was registered on June 19, 2000, but doesn't have anything on it. It was previously suggested we try to get that domain, so I checked, and this is the result. I forgot to mention it until I noticed that TeamZebra used that name on their logo prototype.

Edited by TruckerBears
EDIT: I'm sending a copy of the image ( I changed the GEOTRUCKING.COM to GEOTRUCKERS.COM) and an email to Groundspeak to get the official ruling on it before I do anything more. (Well, not really... I'm still going to tinker a little here and there to see if I can get it cleaned up some... but will scrap the project all together if they say "NO").

Okay, I missed that somehow first time around. I think submitting the logo to Groundspeak is the best choice all around... but regardless of their decision, don't give up the project! If they say the logos are too similar, then go and make changes so they're not -- I've been thinking that a soft (transparent), blended "wash" of the Geocaching colors would be a good way to help tie any logo design any of us come up with to the Geocaching site, without infringing (they can copyright the layout and design, but colors are public domain).

I actually like the idea behind what you came up with here, but am concerned with how closely the "official" logo and the proposed one look. That's the only grey area I see.

Here's my latest update to the logos I've been working on:

gt2sample2.jpg

The changes from the last one are that pretty much everything in this one has been regenerated, except the Peterbilt, mainly because it took quite a bit of time and work to get that element cleaned up.

One specific addition should be apparent: I've added the Geocaching.com logo to the side of the truck pending TeamZebra's inquiry about how we can or cannot use the logo. If we can't use it in TeamZebra's idea or this one, then of course, this goes away. It can be replaced with something else or left blank. It may not be immediately obvious, but the entire image is surrounded by a soft border made of the four colors from the Geocaching logo blended one into another.

Something I've been considering but haven't experimented with on this yet is "chroming" the GeoTruckers.com text. Chromed text doesn't scale down to tiny sizes very well, though, so it'd have to be decided where it might be used before it's generated. I know, difficult to say without seeing, but...

Suggestions?

OK.. I guess I missed something there. I we were working on a logo image... not a title graphic. Yes your graphic would make a nice title graphic, but it's rather busy for a logo image isn't it?? It would be rather difficult and expensive to reproduce on a T-shirt or coin. And there is no easily identifiable image to make it a recognizable logo. Not trying to be rude... just stuff I remember from past marketing classes. But since you two are the only other ones in here and I'm outnumbered... carry on.

P.S. Still no word from Groundspeak on the logo idea.. Just a e-mail bot message saying they received my email and assigned a tracking number to it. I did not ask about using the existing Groundspeak logo IN another image though. If you want the logo on the side of the truck, that's something you'll need to talk over with them. On a side note, I can't forsee any problems with just making the trailer the four colors... maybe vertical or horizontal stripes so as not to confuse with the actual logo??

Edited by TeamZebra

Excellent idea! We're in. We just bought an RV but we love to travel. Finding those caches on main highways that are easy to dash-in and out is a pain. Right-now my project is caches from Western Md to St. Louis, MO to Neelyville, MO to Albuquerque, NM and then back through to Knoxville, TN to Lexington Park, Md. We need and easy off the road, park, find cache, on the road without having to find a big parking area. This site when up and running will be a godsend. I'll be more than happy to contribute anyway I can. I'd have to look but we did find some easy access caches on our trip from Detroit, MI to Gatlinburg, TN to Atlanta, GA to Lexington Park, Md if anyone is interested.

Terri

Checking my list, I discovered many of the caches we found have been archieved. However the following are good as of today:

MI:

As the Eagle Flys (Flew) GCC686 off I75

I-196 South Bug Hotel GC7D57 between markers 42 & 43

Davisburg Travel Bug Rest Stop GCN37E I 75N

I-75 & M 59 MI Travel Bug Depot GCKDNK in a small park but there is parking--may have some problems getting to it depending on how you come up to the park

DE

SBUX 18-Nightmare before Christmas GCHC1C at a shopping mall right off the Interstate Easy on and off

NJ

Howard Stern's Rest Stop GCK9TD northbound only

VA

I-81 Stop, Rest and Cache GCGDP9 southbound

Horse History #1 GC88D9 off 301 S north of Ft AP Hill

NC I85/N/S Travel Bug Motel GCHED8

Hope this helps someone!

Terri

Latest on the Logo from Groundspeak, Inc.

Dear Samantha,

Thank you very much for asking.  Unfortunately, per the logo usage

guidelines, the geocaching.com logo may not be modified, this includes

replacing the content in the boxes as is done in your design sample.

So, unfortunately, we can not give you permission to use the logo.

While we realize that others have done this, they are in violation of our

policy and trademark and we have not given them permission to do so.  We

are making all efforts to put a stop to it but since geocaching has become

so wide spread, a few examples of logo violations are still out there and

crop up all the time.

Thank you again.  We really do appreciate your efforts to comply with our

policy.  If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact

me anytime.

Happy Geocaching!

Sincerely,

Bryan Roth

Groundspeak Inc.

On a side note, I have a different idea, but don't know if I have the ability to put it into reality. Perhaps as a Black & White image using clipart found on the internet, but doing a color version might prove more difficult. But I think since the Logo image should really be something simple and easy to duplicate, keeping the detail low will be better anyway.

We can always use more detailed images for the website itself... but the "Trademark" logo (think along the lines of the little X shaped dude Groundspeak uses) should be relatively simple.

I see a lot of good work has been going on with the graphics on the site. Sorry I haven't been around lately. I was on my way to Florida and my truck broke down. It's in the shop. Engine problems. $6000.00 to fix it. (OUCH!) Anyhow, I'm stuck in a hotel. Got my new PDA on Saturday and spent time getting it set up for paperless caching and learning the programs. Finally got to take it out for a test run today. Loved it. My poor wife was going crazy with cabin fever sitting in this room.

Anyhow, I'm going to take her out caching again tomorrow, Tuesday, and try to get some work done on the site in the evening.

Does any one have a particular opinion on which one of the forums should be used on the site? I should be able to at least have our forums on line by the evening if all goes well. The first order of business once the forums are installed is to get a structure set up but that can be dealt with later. Righ now I'm trying to decide what one to use.

TwoTruckers, it looks like your quickly becomming the "official" database builder. Are you going to build one large database or split it into states or regions?

Truckerbears, Team Zebra, I agree that we need something that would size small for the web site and print well on t-shirts and geocoins. Shame we can't use a modified verson of the geocaching.com logo. That would have been perfect.

We are fulltime RVers. So count us in! Our MH has highspeed mobile internet access via satellite. So if there is anything you may need uploaded while you are traveling and can not get access let me know.

As I have a web site(My Webpage) and have done some sites for business, may I suggest that instead of a wall paper, that you go with just a color. Wall papers as backgrounds are difficult to read, especially for us "seniors" I like to use the "KISS" principle. Keep it simple and sensible. Also use a larger font, where possible.

I will email you some photos of our MH.

Hi all. I've just completed my driver training and am going to go for my state CDL-A test on the 14th.

I'm interested, but non-committal, as I don't know what the future brings. I have a pre-hire from Werner, but I dunno if I really wanna do OTR. I'm willing to help in some way if I can, but I really am a n00b in terms of trucking.

Any experienced drivers wanna give me an idea (or make a pre-FAQ) for the geotruckers website. Some questions I might ask, being a COMPLETELY ignorant individual in terms of life on the road. Keep in mind these may not necessarily have to do (directly) with geocaching.

1) How can one get to a cache site without their rig?

2) What can a trucker realisticly expect in terms of caching opportunities?

3) What resources are typically available for WiFi access?

4) What dangers must a trucker specifically consider when geocaching?

5) Can a trucker typically stop mid-route to cache, or is it best to do so in between runs?

6) Health and fitness for truckers?

I have lots of unasked questions, but half the battle is knowing which questions to ask. I'm sure you experienced drivers have advice on things I haven't even begun to think of.

Maybe the website could have several FAQS - one specifically for geocaching drivers, another for general advice, etc. Sort of a trucking community overall kinda thing.

BTW - I liked forum demo one, simply because it was familiar to me due to teh geocaching.com forums. The other one might be better, but so was BetaMax videotape... :lol:

Hi New Englind n00b.. Welcome to trucking. You ask some good questons about trucker caching and I intend on putting together a FAQ on the web site about trucker friendly caches as soon as I can. As you can see I'm still in the process of building the site and others are working on the graphics for the site.

Basically, a trucker friendly cache needs to be near a safe, legal place to park a truck. Truck stops, rest area's etc. Many malls are not good choices because of the no truck parking policy of many malls in the country. Anything that is withing walking distance of a parking area. Belive it or not, there are more than you would think. TwoTrucks has a decent database of locations and it's growing all the time.

You should be able to do your geocaching along your route with little problem as long as you have the time. Sometimes, when I have a weekend off I'll rent a car and get all my personal errands done and go geocaching as well. Only problem with that is that most rental companies are closed on Sunday so returning the car so you can make your Monday delivery can be a problem.

As for working with Werner, I'd ask around about them before you jump in with that company. Two trucks works for them and I used to. IMHO they'll ruin you on OTR driving. This isn't the best forum for that topic but you can take it off this forum to PM's or goto one of the trucker sites like layover.com or something.

Hope this helps. We'll have the site up soon and more informatio will be available there shortly after that.

djstern. Webmaster geotrucking.com

Edited by djstern

Cool. Thanks! I've heard people who love & people who hate Werner - both sides usually are passionate about it. I will check layover.com for more trucking info. Thanks!

One of the forum guys pointed me to Waymarking.com which has a WiFi Hotspot catagory. This might be useful if you haven't already looked into it...

Edited by New England n00b

So we travel up and down the west coast with a travel trailer and are always on the look out for caches that have a big turn around, shade and we even found one in Washington that had an RV dump within twenty feet of the cache. Are you interested in information from the west part of the states?

Cool. Thanks! I've heard people who love & people who hate Werner - both sides usually are passionate about it. I will check layover.com for more trucking info. Thanks!

One of the forum guys pointed me to Waymarking.com which has a WiFi Hotspot catagory. This might be useful if you haven't already looked into it...

Most of the major truckstop chains have WiFi. Flying J, TA, and some Petros have their own brand (one subscription works at all the chain locations). There are also a few others out there providing WiFi. Truckstop.net while it lasted was a good thing. I think that is being replaced by Sircomm, but don't quote me.

A lot of drivers drivers myself included, have opted to get a cell modem. We have ours through Sprint. At the time after much research, they were the fastest and had the largest coverage area. The others are good as well. We are very happy with Sprint so far. It's really neat to be online (in the sleeper) going down the road at 65 mph. The connection speed usually varies between 70 to 110K, but soon will be faster once EVDo rolls out.

Verizon, TMobile, and Cingular also have them. Not sure how good the Nextel ones are, or if they even still have them. The coverage area varies between carriers, and it also depends on what is available to you in your home market. Some carriers will not let you subscribe if they do not offer service in your home area. Most have an "all you can eat" data plan for around $85 a month.

Just another thing to consider. Since I itemize my deductions every year it is a tax write off for us, as well as the fees for WiFi.

So we travel up and down the west coast with a travel trailer and are always on the look out for caches that have a big turn around, shade and we even found one in Washington that had an RV dump within twenty feet of the cache. Are you interested in information from the west part of the states?

Sure, I am slowly compiling a list of big rig friendly caches. I currently have around 130 or so across the country. Later on in the forums I am hoping that we will have some sort of area where we can share the ones that folks find.

I know that keeping a database in GSAK is a daunting endeavor at best since caches are always being added and archived. I am hoping that we can find a way to pool the knowledge that will be more dynamic in nature.

Cool.  Thanks!  I've heard people who love & people who hate Werner - both sides usually are passionate about it.  I will check layover.com for more trucking info.  Thanks!

One of the forum guys pointed me to Waymarking.com which has a WiFi Hotspot catagory.  This might be useful if you haven't already looked into it...

Most of the major truckstop chains have WiFi. Flying J, TA, and some Petros have their own brand (one subscription works at all the chain locations). There are also a few others out there providing WiFi. Truckstop.net while it lasted was a good thing. I think that is being replaced by Sircomm, but don't quote me.

A lot of drivers drivers myself included, have opted to get a cell modem. We have ours through Sprint. At the time after much research, they were the fastest and had the largest coverage area. The others are good as well. We are very happy with Sprint so far. It's really neat to be online (in the sleeper) going down the road at 65 mph. The connection speed usually varies between 70 to 110K, but soon will be faster once EVDo rolls out.

Verizon, TMobile, and Cingular also have them. Not sure how good the Nextel ones are, or if they even still have them. The coverage area varies between carriers, and it also depends on what is available to you in your home market. Some carriers will not let you subscribe if they do not offer service in your home area. Most have an "all you can eat" data plan for around $85 a month.

Just another thing to consider. Since I itemize my deductions every year it is a tax write off for us, as well as the fees for WiFi.

See, now THAT'S a good bit of advice - might making getting WiFi cell worth it... and if you hit the mobile geocaching.com site, the speed won't be as much of a concern (I think). Coooooool....

Edited by New England n00b

We have Nextel phones, but never tried using it for Internet access. I don't recall seeing a laptop card offered by Nextel either. Pretty much stuck to Wi-Fi when we were out on the road. We'd signed up for Flying J's service. Found that all Flying J truckstops, as well as quite a few other brands were broadcasting the flyingj.net service. There's also a chance of hitting some free Wi-Fi spots from time to time. I can't remember the offer code now, but England (DO NOT go there!) had a deal with FlyingJ.net for a discounted monthly rate. Whoever you decide to go with, you might want to ask them if they have such a discount with a Wi-Fi carrier... ya never know.

We used to have Verizon phones and I found out (quite by accident... Verizon won't tell you about it) that we could hook our Verizon phone to the laptop with a data cable and have it dial a special number that would give us FREE (as in no monthly or per kB charges although it would count against your plan minutes... easy way around this was to have a plan with unlimited nights and weekends and use it during those times) internet access. It was slow... nowhere near broadband speeds... but good enough for checking email and visiting sites that weren't heavily into graphics. I don't know if it still works or not, and I'd have to search around to find the number again.

As for the other questions you asked:

1) How can one get to a cache site without their rig?

2) What can a trucker realisticly expect in terms of caching opportunities?

3) What resources are typically available for WiFi access?

4) What dangers must a trucker specifically consider when geocaching?

5) Can a trucker typically stop mid-route to cache, or is it best to do so in between runs?

6) Health and fitness for truckers?

1: We spent alot of time in Salt Lake City when we drove for England. They had a fleet of rental cars available to drivers who'd been with them more than 60 (maybe 90 can't recall) days. They'd payroll deduct the cost, worked out cheaper than regular rental rates. Something else to consider talking to your future employer about. Another option is to find a truckstop (or shipper/receiver if you're going to be there a while) that will let you drop your trailer and bobtail around to do some caching. Just watch for clearances and bridge weights. Even though you aren't as long without a trailer, you may still be just as tall... and you definitely way more than a car!!

2. There are still plenty of available caches. Many people have placed caches near rest areas and depending on what you haul and where you haul it to you could realistically find yourself within walking/biking distance of caches on some of your stops.

3. [Covered above]

4. Besides getting stuck somewhere your truck is to big to be... be careful leaving your truck unattended. If it's somewhere you wouldn't want to be walking alone, don't leave your truck there either. ALWAYS lock your trailer when leaving it anywhere... loaded or NOT. Just because you don't have cargo in the trailer doesn't mean people won't sneak in there and wait on you. There are plenty of stories circulating of drivers who parked an empty trailer somewhere only to come back and find someone in there with a weapon when they opened it. My husband was mugged by a guy once who was standing at the back of his trailer :D . He'd parked the truck and went into a truckstop. Came out and went to check the trailer to make sure nobody had messed with the seal and a guy with a knife was standing back there. No security, no lights, cameras couldn't see behind the trailers, CDL drivers are forbidden to carry weapons :mad: and he didn't grab his Maglight before he went back there (didn't make that mistake again :ph34r: )... luckily the guy let him go after taking the $60 he had in his pocket... but it could have been much worse. Also, be sure to check the clearances real well when getting off the Interstates. No smilie is worth topping your truck over! :D

5. As already stated... it all depends on your carrier and your run. We used to have lots of spare time during trips. We were driving as a team, but it seemed few of our runs were actually team runs. If you plan your trip well you should know how much extra time you will have.

6. Many of the larger carriers offer in-house fitness facilities, as do some larger truckstops. You will see lots of trucks with bicycles strapped to the catwalks too. Unfortunately, you'll probably see more fat truck drivers. There are a few simple things you can do to keep yourself in decent shape. Don't vulture around the truckstop looking for that coveted space closest to the door. Park farther away and walk (or jog) to the truck stop. Take a walk around the rest areas when you stop (preferably during the daylight hours). If you take a bike with you, you can use that as cheap transportation to and from caches as well as a boost to your physical well-being. Watch out for truckstop food! Some of that stuff is loaded with fat, salt, etc. If your company lets you do it, try to get an inverter installed as soon as you can afford a good (big) one and consider getting a microwave or other means of cooking meals in your truck. We picked up a small microwave at Wal-mart for around $40 and ran if off a 1700 Watt inverter. Get yourself one of those electric coolers (again, got our 40qt Coleman at Wal-Mart) and keep drinks and food in it. This allowed us to stop at grocery stores and buy drinks (milk, juice and soda) cheaper than we could at truckstops. And we'd stock up on microwavable dinners (Dinty Moore has some that do not require refrigeration or freezing!) and canned foods that could be heated in the microwave. Keep fruits and veggies around for healthy snacks to much while driving.

Life on the road is all in how you make it. You can be as healthy as you want to be if you just plan ahead and use what's available to you. A truckstop meal can be nice every once in a while... but try not to depend on them.. Not only are they expensive, but there are much healthier alternatives.

***Sorry if this message is considered off-topic. But since it does deal with truckind and geocaching... I thought it would be OK to go ahead and share my thoughts on the questions asked. This stuff might prove useful to others in the future.***

That's the beautiful thing about the site we're building. Trucking isn't off topic. Neither is RV'ing. :( If only I can get off my #*% and find the time to work on it we'll be in business. :huh:

As long as we're "off topic" on the food issue, TA had a cook book specifically for the Burton. (the lunch box type of oven) They have recipes for things like Beef Stew, lasagne, chicken cordon blue, creamy herbed pork, and many others. Well worth a look at. I love it when my wife is making something like that and a driver walks up to my truck and smells it. I just sit there and glote when I tell him to enjoy his buffet at Flying J. :huh:

Most of what's in the book is the "dump method of cooking" In other words, you dump all the ingredients in a oven bag, mix them up and toss it in the Burton. A few hours later WHALA! Dinner is served.

A quick hit on the microwave and you've got Mashed Potatoes, stuffing etc.

One other option is in the section of Wal-Mart where they have the microwaves etc. Look for a CD called One Million Recepies or something like that. It has a section of microwave recepies and also a section on Crock Pot recepies that work very well in a burton.

Between that cookbook from TA and the million recepies CD you shouldn't be lacking for a good dinner selections. You'll even find something for desert.

Gotta love that!

Edited by djstern

Just want to add another comment regarding the wireless air cards from Sprint. We upgraded ours yesterday. They [sprint] currently have a special going until November 12. Existing voice customers adding a new line of service cn pick up one of the new EVdo cards for free and lock in a montly rate of $59.95 a month for all you can eat data.

I must say that I was impressed with the speed. Where we were it was just under 500k, pretty close to DSL. And faster than any WiFi that we have used. The enhanced service is not everywhere yet, but the coverage has been much better than it was shown on the map and it will grow every day.

New customers can get the connection card for free, but will have to pay $80 a month for unlimited data. Still not bad deal considering the card is free.