Has Anyone Seen This?

kentuckygirls

I think the idea is kind of cute.... BUT If I am holding a TB that I already told the owner I would hold fora longer amount of time then I would be kind of irritated if this person sent me an email telling me to hurry up with it. (just playing devil's advocate here remember that I said it was a cute idea atthe beginning!!!)

Does this paper bag make me look fat???

HAHAHAHA Too Funny!!

On another note. I understand that in this instance it was a white jeep.

BUt what if it is a statue of liberty that I am going to take to NY for the owner and this guy emails me after I already worked it out with the owner for me to hold it for a month and deliver it to NYC for it's goal.

I think it's a good idea. Kind of a buffer between owners and holders.

It IS pretty annoying when people hold onto your TBs. As with many other TB owners, I've had cachers pick up mynTBs on the first leg of the journey and never moved them on. You try to send a nice note but it doesn't always work.

There is more behind the story. The Gay Jeep was the first in our area and was pseudo adopted by alot of us. Just look at the early logs on it. That is alot of the reason why there are 40 some odd people watching this little guy. With the mortality rate among Jeeps, this person who remains unknown even to the local group members, decided to post a note on the TB page. It was done as a funny way of letting this person who held the Jeep for almost a month, to move it along. Best part is it worked and later in the afternoon the Jeep was released, albeit to a travel bug prison. This is not some renegade who is out emailing anyone about privately owned TBs. I hope this clears it somewhat and everyone can relook at it and see the humor behind it, I know I do. I wouldn't mind if they went and posted on every Jeep page thats been hijacked for weeks. If this gets them out of the hands of one person so the rest of us can have fun finding them, then more power to him. Its completely harmless.

There is more behind the story. The Gay Jeep was the first in our area and was pseudo adopted by alot of us. Just look at the early logs on it. That is alot of the reason why there are 40 some odd people watching this little guy. With the mortality rate among Jeeps, this person who remains unknown even to the local group members, decided to post a note on the TB page. It was done as a funny way of letting this person who held the Jeep for almost a month, to move it along. Best part is it worked and later in the afternoon the Jeep was released, albeit to a travel bug prison. This is not some renegade who is out emailing anyone about privately owned TBs. I hope this clears it somewhat and everyone can relook at it and see the humor behind it, I know I do. I wouldn't mind if they went and posted on every Jeep page thats been hijacked for weeks. If this gets them out of the hands of one person so the rest of us can have fun finding them, then more power to him. Its completely harmless.

Thank you for the background, and yes I do see the benefits.

I just don't agree with the method.

When people call me rude at least they know the message is hitting the target.

Yes, thank you for the background on this particular user.

If this was someone who was e-mailing all kinds of cachers regarding every missing jeep, then I would have to say that's just wrong, and I would have to notify Groundspeak. If it was involving only one jeep, I will let it go at that. Abusive emailing is not permitted.

I agree with Eartha. Abusive e-mails to many cachers is not something that should be done.

That being said it does add a value to have a reminder to people that hold jeeps to keep them moving. I wish Groundspeak would implement such a reminder process.

Also, I feel it is ok to e-mail local cachers if you feel they are in violation of the rules. If someone seems to be holding a Jeep for a long time, a friendly reminder e-mail can't hurt. This should be done with your own username, not a fake username.

If its not your travel bug its none of your business, end of story.

Jeeps are different than regular TB's in they are technically owned by Jeep. Also there is a contest going on with these so in order to enter the one part of the contest you need the Jeep for the picture. Hard to enter when its sitting on someone's computer as a prize. So in that sense they are for ALL of us and not just whoever whats to keep it. So this does make it my buisness.

Also I would appreciate when I lose my TB to someone who doesn't care, that someone else steps up and helps rescue it even though its not theirs. Thats what a community does for each other. Why should we keep quiet and let someone who might actually not know what they are doing is wrong, continue this way. Whats wrong with being nice and explaining and teaching? You haven't released a TB yet so you don't know what its like to explain to a 4 year old that someone decided they liked your toy car better than you and it will never be moving again. Yea I would appreciate anyones help to get my TB moving again, even if you don't think its any of their buisness.

That being said it does add a value to have a reminder to people that hold jeeps to keep them moving. I wish Groundspeak would implement such a reminder process.

Groundspeak does have a small reminder on your profile page. When you've held any bug for more than two weeks an asterisk shows up in your bug list, with a note to remind you. Groundspeak doesn't email individual players, could you imagine the work involved in that? C'mon folks, whats wrong with the honor system? Go drop off the Jeeps once you've logged them, how hard can this be? Individual cachers do not need to become the travel bug police.

It's just a toy, it's just a game, now it's your move, play dadgumit!

Shortly after I found Geocaching I found a YJTB. That same day I loged it on the cache page, but I wasn't shure how to log it on the travel bug page. The next day I got an E-mail from another local asking if I had taken it from the cache or not because I hadn't log it on the tb's page. He went on to say that he and his family would love to find one and made it sound as if his children really wanted to find there first tb. He wanted me to log it ASAP! I went and logged it immediately. After that I looked at his profile and saw that they had already found several of the YJTB and many other tbs.