Deciding On My First Gps

whatsGPS

Ok, I am looking for a GPS unit that will allow me to geocache and most importantly use with my motorcycle. I need to have the ability to load roadmaps that are rather detailed, while keeping size and cost small (No more than $250 hopefully including a map program). My questions are typical: Is there a best choice?, How much memory should I need?, etc...

If anyone has any suggestions all posts would be appriciated greatly.

Thanks A lot,

whatsGPS

(No more than $250 hopefully including a map program)

When have you ever gone out with a set price and came home without bumping that up? :lol:

You probably want to start looking at the Legend C and Vista C.

Mapping is going to cost $129, but you can get an auto-package with it.

First Lesson in GPS buying:

Garmin = good

Magellan = bad

I might agree but this still requires a....

:ph34r:

Edit: missing C

Edited by BlueDeuce
A GPS V comes wiht the software you need. You will need to get a different mount. You sould be able to find it for 250 bucks if you look around.

I'm not sure anything else in Garmins line is the same price with the City Select software that you need.

Duh, I didn't even think about the V.

I think it can be found for $239.

Is there a best choice?

No. Depends on your needs. How far do you travel? How frequently? Do you go off road a lot? Do you hike or hunt or do you stick to the cities?

How much memory should I need?

Again depends on your planned use. Do you do most of your traveling in your home area? Do you travel in only in your region, or do you travel all over the country? In the first case any mappng GPS will do. In the second case you'd want 56 or more megs and in the third case you might want to consider a unit with a memory card.

Do you want auto routing? If so, the mapping software alone will run you between 100 and 130 dollars and the GPS another 200-300 bucks.

For the price range you've set I can't think of many units that will provide detailed maps and give you enough memory to do a little travelling. One that comes to mind is the Lowrance H20 Plus package. You can get the GPS, card reader, memory card and mapping software for a little over $250. Its a great unit and the maps are quite good, but don't provide autorouting.

Another that comes to mind is the Garmin GPS V. It sells for about $250 (I've heard of people picking it up for under $200) and that price includes the mapping software, making it a bargain. It also does autorouting. The downside is that it only has 19 megs of map memory. If you live in a heavily populated metroplitan area, mapping will chew up that 19 megs fast. Now if you live somewhere in Montana, 19 megs could be plenty.

I've also seen an eTrex Legend package being sold at Dicks Sporting goods and it comes with an auto mount, topo software and road mapping software for $200. The issue with the Legend is that it only has 8 megs of map memory. Enough if you stay local most of the time, but not if you travel at all

Edited by briansnat

Doesn't matter what you get,....but myself I bought 4 GPS before I finaly ended up with my GPS map60C, ..just make sure that you see working the GPS you want to buy,...and compare it with others,....you want it for motorcycle....so at least get one with autorouting and color would be very nice, it makes it a lot easier to read while driving.....map60C is way out of your price range,..but I got mine pretty cheap through the GPS garage sale on here.

Kingquad

Thanks everyone,

I realize now that I might have to bump up my price point a little. If I were to go around the $250 price point without mapping software, does that change anyones recommendations? I will need autorouting for when Im on my bike. Again thanks for the help.

WhatsGPS

Thanks everyone,

I realize now that I might have to bump up my price point a little. If I were to go around the $250 price point without mapping software, does that change anyones recommendations? I will need autorouting for when Im on my bike. Again thanks for the help.

WhatsGPS

In that case, go with the Garmin V (black and white, but about $250 with maps) or the Legend C (color and smaller--more portable, about $250 without the maps).

One that comes to mind is the Lowrance H20 Plus package. You can get the GPS, card reader, memory card and mapping software for a little over $250. Its a great unit and the maps are quite good, but don't provide autorouting.

I got excited when I saw the Lowrance iFinder Pro for $155. Wow, a mapping unit for so cheap with SD capability. Then I did some research and was disappointed by the fact that it doesn't provide autorouting and requires you to convert .loc and GPX files in order to use them. But I do wish I knew about the iFinder GO and GO2 units when I was shopping for my first GPSr. The GO2 has 64MB of built-in road data. Those things sound like great performers for a low price. Had I known about those, I wouldn't have bought my eXplorist 100.

I just borrowed a co-worker's new GPSmap 60 and was impressed with it. But at $250 it's more than I want to spend right now. Just make sure you buy CitySelect and not MetroGuide (as co-worker mistakenly did) if you want to be able to autoroute.