Standard Of Trades?

when browsing UK caches, it seems a lot started out with good trades.

yet most i have found contain nothing better than toys one would find in cheap cristmas crackers.

surely if we follow the trade up or equal, this shouldnt happen.

in the usa it seems like the good standard stays throughout.

surely if we follow the system we would have some good trades worth hunting for.

any views on this?

I actualy had a FTF on 2 caches a couple of months ago. Both containers were of a reasonable size to fit swaps into, both were empty apart from a log sheet and a 1p coin. I actualy empted my swaps bag on the first one filling it up. I recently restocked another cache which was running bare. Trading down seems to be more popular than trading even/up. The problam seems to be that only a few cachers read/post to the forums, so those that don't, don't get the message regarding trading up/even.

Dave

I actualy had a FTF on 2 caches a couple of months ago. Both containers were of a reasonable size to fit swaps into, both were empty apart from a log sheet and a 1p coin. I actualy empted my swaps bag on the first one filling it up. I recently restocked another cache which was running bare. Trading down seems to be more popular than trading even/up. The problam seems to be that only a few cachers read/post to the forums, so those that don't, don't get the message regarding trading up/even.

Dave

tell me about it,

i recently saw a cache that had a nice carved item changed for a single marble!!

i was just thinking the same thing i have just done quite a few caches in the last few weeks and all of them bar one left a lot to be desired in fact some of them were shocking

i think owners have to check there caches more often and we as cachers should take more responsibility with what we put in

saying that im going to check my caches to see if there ok

We noticed the standard of swaps in Derbyshire were particularly bad....

Weve cached all over the place, and did some a couple of months ago in the Derbyshire Dales, and I have to say, most boxes really were poor!

We try to trade up in those circumstances, but sometimes it's not possible.

We always swap new stuff - Asda, Sainsburys and Tescos, Woolies etc do a great line in kids party bag stuff. OK, so it might not be top notch stuff, but at least it's clean and new stuff.

Come to Scotland: a better standard of swap items in caches here! So much for the old joke..........

Having just cracked a good dozen caches up north during a recent foray, I cannot concur with this generalisation!

I was "travelling light" and therefore had not a lot to drop off - but over the week, I did end up leaving everything I carried in the caches up north. By the end of the week, I ended up taking nowt south.

There were some well stocked caches, recently maintained by the owners, that impressed the newbies that were with me. Generally, the newbies were as unimpressed as I was with the contents of the caches swap-wise.

...but in the end, we don't care that we are "losing out"!

Sue & I get a lot of fun out of this game just rooting out the caches. We are content to put a little more in - in the end, whatever the event, this is what makes the world go round. We don't want to get high and mighty about this, others do exactly the same in other far more important areas. We just feel good doing this little bit towards the cause...

I'm not bothered about doing the swaping aspect of geocaching, I enjoy the journey to the cache and finding it. But majority I've found have the usual mcdonald reject toys in them, one cache I found I was very impessed with as it had a couple of expensive swaps in it - I would be interest to know (no way of knowing though) if the person in future who does a swap on these expensive items swaps with an item of equal value.

For me, part of the fun in setting up a cache is getting together the items to start it off. Each of the last 4 caches we've placed have had a "theme" (i.e. Glowing/Cats/Romans/Famous Men) and I've spent time selecting related items - Ebay is extremely useful for this! No item has cost more than about £3. Our next cache has a "Welsh" identity... so naturally it'll have woolly sheep, red dragons, a couple of old welsh postcards, a cd of welsh bands etc. Obviously, it won't stay totally Welsh, but we'll try and top it up with a few welsh items each time we check it. So, come on, any of you cheapskates out there!...If you get enjoyment out of geocaching the least you can do is put a half decent (or a full decent) swop in the box!

Mrs B

Like lakeuk, we don't geocache for the swaps but lately I have found that if the cache just contains odds and sods, I'm a bit dissapointed and I'm sure this will increase as our son gets more interested in what we swap. It doesn't have to be expensive, but its great if the contents are fun.

G&C

All mine are usually always in good order even if the cache contents are based on kids finding them rather than adults; largely because MY kids say whats going in there! They are also near kids places to visit. Its all about joining in. I like to see how caches evolve. Also if there are lots of stuff in then there's less room for TB's. What bugs me most is quick write ups on the website cos I like a good read and prefer this, even if no one swaps anything! :anitongue:

We too have been 2TF on a couple of almost empty caches lately, We can't understand why someone would go to the trouble of choosing a spot, hiding and logging a cache and then leave it almost bare for the sake of a few quid in swaps.

We don't cache for the contents, most of what we take gets put back somewhere else but there is always that feeling of disappointment when you open a cache and find it empty or full of worthless junk. I haven't got a problem with finding Mcdonalds toys at all, but please don't leave them once they are broken. Basically, if it is not something you would be happy to find in another cache, don't leave it. (and that includes a two year old tin of sardines we once found and disposed of, as far as we could work out the sardines were older than the cache so must already have been out of date when left !!)

We carry a large bag of swaps and often end up taking one item and leaving two or three. Keeping your eyes open for bargains when you are out and about means that this needn't break the bank.

We have to agree with the comments about Scotland. On a recent trip across the top we were treated to several very well stocked caches, much of the stuff seemed to have been left by European cachers on touring holidays or particularly generous cache owners topping up just before we visited. Rest assured, most of the stuff we found is still north of the border.

Just seen the post by Queeny about quick write ups and couldn't agree more. I love to read the online logs and always try to write an entertaining few lines for others to read. It is great when you are sitting at home and get a full blown account of the adventures others have had finding your caches or visiting places you have been.

"2nd of 5 for the day..." does nothing for me at all.

If you're setting up a new cache, I'd advise going to Wilkinsons, as they do a good range of useful items for both adults and kids at very reasonable prices,

Or try the pound shops. I usually visit a local Poundland to stock new caches and usually manage to get a good selection of stuff. From memory, the last cache I set up included a multitool, screwdriver set, pedometer, all for £1 each. Bargain

I have just been to Hampshire and was pleasantly suprised by the quality of the swaps... in fact, not just suprised, but caught out as I am so used to teeny caches (and I admit I set them too) or caches with nothing that grabs my interest, that I left my swops at home.

One thing though, when I place a cache I will try to start it with decent swaps. If the cache contents degrade over time, well so be it. I am not going to continually pay out to restock my caches because people take the contents and don't leave anything equivalent or indeed anything at all.

All mine are usually always in good order even if the cache contents are based on kids finding them rather than adults; largely because MY kids say whats going in there! They are also near kids places to visit. Its all about joining in. I like to see how caches evolve. Also if there are lots of stuff in then there's less room for TB's. What bugs me most is quick write ups on the website cos I like a good read and prefer this, even if no one swaps anything! :unsure:

just like to say sorry to queeny. i stand guilty as charged for just writing short log entrys

sometimes when you have done a lot of caches it can be a bit time consuming writing long entries for each cache. but having just done some of your caches im sorry and from now on will try to improve on my log entries.

:) It is a shame that the standard of swaps in caches are on the downward slide. When we started caching we was told of the 'etiquete' that if you swap an item, you replace it with one of equal value. I know that the quality of the items in a cache will decline over time and the previous posting saying that the cache owner will revisit their cache to replace the tat in it is very honourable, but I feel un-necessary as it was n't your fault.

It must be down to the concience of the person wishing to trade items from the cache.

We did a cache in Dorset recently which had a brand new digital radio inside. I would have liked to traded this item, but being only armed with packets of pencils and other small items, I felt this was an inadequate swap and so I left it.

What really is dissapointing is finding new caches with with recycled crap in. It not only lets that cache down but goes to show that very little effort was put in by the owner. The contents of that cache will not improve but only spread to other caches like a virus.

It is up to each and everyone of us to make sure that quality does not deminish and maybe educate the people who are unaware of the need to keep up the quality of swaps as this can only add more enjoyment for everyone who caches.

I have followed this thread with interest. When I began caching I was told that only low value items should be placed in caches, with a maximum value of about £1.00. I have tried to stick to this, regularly stocking up on what I hope are interesting low-value items at a store near us that sells such things.

Is there a 'rule' on this that I have missed? I do not wish to short change people. I will sometimes put two or three items in for one swap taken in order to maintain a value balance, but even estimating value can be a bit subjective.

I often carry some Supermarket Trolley Tokens, These can cost anything from £1 upwards for charity. You can use them for trolleys, lockers, etc and they are collectable too.

I though these tokens were commonly called Pound coins!

Milton (aka moote)

no they are discs usually in the form of keyrings that fit in the slot substituting where you would normally put a pound coin in a trolley

I often carry some Supermarket Trolley Tokens, These can cost anything from £1 upwards for charity. You can use them for trolleys, lockers, etc and they are collectable too.

Milton (aka moote)

no they are discs usually in the form of keyrings that fit in the slot substituting where you would normally put a pound coin in a trolley

So where do they use them, only one supermarket near me has a chain system and they use £1 coins, or is it that we in the north don't knick these trollies :D

Milton (aka moote)

Milton (aka moote)

So where do they use them, only one supermarket near me has a chain system and they use £1 coins, or is it that we in the north don't knick these trollies :D

Milton (aka moote)

morrisons sell them in aid of breast cancer

I will sometimes put two or three items in for one swap taken in order to maintain a value balance,

Think we have done the same .

Scenario is next cacher takes one of the two or three items and replaces it with two or three to equal the value the one they have taken .

Think that is then four/six lesser value items intead of the one higher value item .

Nice to see the old favourite threads reappearing.

We have loads of swag all brand new bought from asda, tesco's bargain areas or the kids toys area this probably costs us about £1 for every cache we visit (3 kids all trading) not bad value compared to other places you pay to visit.

Trade up not down

Trade fair trade equal

Keep this a trash free cache

Trading for TB's can lead to complete depletion.

and yes our kids love finding unbroken working Mc Donalds toys some are quite good.

Milton (aka moote)

Milton (aka moote)

Are these what you mean ?

Trading for TB's shouldn't lead to depletion, but in practise it does. I have argued in the past that if you take a TB you should leave something as nowhere in geocaching.com does it say that TB's are differently in this respect. However, I now accept that very few other people agree so being a practical type of guy I treat TB's as separate and will neither take nor leave anything when I take or leave TB's.

Edited by Pieman

I think a very good guideline is to leave something you'd like to find yourself!

I only started geocaching last weekend, and had no idea what to swap. I finally left a postcard & stamp (well wrapped) and instructions to write to someone who may forgotten you... I thought it was a nice idea and would like to find something similar myself. I found a beutiful crystal, and the experience made me really happy. Since then I thought it would be good to keep some pound-stuff (kids' & adults') and maybe one more expensive item with me. I think I would take kids' and leave adults' if the box was full of kids' and the other way round - just to keep a nice balance.

I would love to see the standard going up <_<

I feel the same...When I place a cache I normaly start off with a good selection of swaps and it does bug me when I go back and find a load of crap or next to nothing left, I went to visit one of my caches last week to drop off some coins etc and there was not a lot of swag left, and what was left was very disappointing. I will be going out and restocking it in the next week, then I am off to go round my others to see what needs done.

I get my swaps from £1 stores or things on sale in Asda etc, I normaly leave a Geocoin for FTF and sometimes a wee thing for 2nd and 3rd to find.

Its a pity that we can't pull our socks up and swap like for like or better.

A wee question...Do you think Member only caches keep the swaps to a better standard?

John

A wee question...Do you think Member only caches keep the swaps to a better standard?

John

In our experience, no. We had an FTF on a member-only cache and the contents consisted of the usual rubbish. It almost spoiled the whole FTF experience. Our then ten year old was particularly disappointed.

Like many others, we try to carry a selection of swaps; and buy some new, better quality items from time to time so that we can take higher-value items and exchange them with something of equal value. We do leave newspaper freebie CDs and DVDs sometimes - I know some people don't like them but I've also seen people logging that they've taken them.

We recently did some caches around the Thatcham Discovery Centre. Most contained loads of excellent swaps for children and even some good things for adults. Trading is not the main reason why we go caching but it makes for a more satisfying outing if we've been able to trade "well".

I must agree about the sentiments of this thread,and personally I rarely bother about the contents except trackables and the logbook.I think these days kids aren't going to get too excited about anything that may be found in a box..unless its a PS4 or similar!

when browsing UK caches, it seems a lot started out with good trades.

yet most i have found contain nothing better than toys one would find in cheap cristmas crackers.

surely if we follow the trade up or equal, this shouldnt happen.

in the usa it seems like the good standard stays throughout.

surely if we follow the system we would have some good trades worth hunting for.

any views on this?

If you ask me its all the fault of power trails! As nowadays the fashion seems to be that you place tons of caches in one go then it's inevitable that the quality of stuff in them tends to deteriorate.

Recently did 'The Great Escape' by Snerdbe and read that the items inside had actually been donated by Isaac of The Bolas Heathens. This was the first time that I had nothing that could be traded with as my son wasn't with me and probably the first time that he would not have been able to 'trade up'. My in-laws were asking me about the treasures we find and I pointed out that we always try to leave something better than we actually find. They thought this was a great idea. Sadly trading up isn't difficult (with the exception of aforementioned cache) but I doubt that many people go out with the idea of trading unless they have kids with them anyway - or am I wrong?

I have recently moved away from East Anglia and as the move was a bit hasty I was forced to archive my caches there and later send out family members to collect them. I got the containers back a couple of weeks ago and am pleased to say that there was hardly any tat in sight.

When I hid the caches I tried to make the contents varied and interesting and it appears that the East Anglians cachers out there have respected that and have stuck to the trade up philosophy. :grin: So if you want to find well stocked caches - head east! :grin:

The best bit is that I now only have to replace the log books and then I can rehide the containers exactly as they are. :laughing:

Having read this thread from the beginning, it made interesting reading, I would like to add that we normally take it in turns to choose a trade, sometimes we swap others we don't. We also leave a small item, even if we don't swap, if we have enjoyed the hunt and the cache looks a little empty. Prices range from 50p to £3 per item but that is our personnal choice. I like the idea of the postcard and stamp, might add that to our swap bag.

LOL @ Alma! Well, I confess to just writing short log book entries too! Its nice to sit at the cache locations and read visitors comments :laughing: I will try harder with this in future.

I am also guilty for writing practically nothing in the cache log book... basically date and my name

HOWEVER... I then write a good long log back on the computer log....... I know that my logs then get read by a greater number of people, including the cache owner.....

All mine are usually always in good order even if the cache contents are based on kids finding them rather than adults; largely because MY kids say whats going in there! They are also near kids places to visit. Its all about joining in. I like to see how caches evolve. Also if there are lots of stuff in then there's less room for TB's. What bugs me most is quick write ups on the website cos I like a good read and prefer this, even if no one swaps anything! :P

I agree. As a Caching family that has tended to evolve into a caching Duo with the Kids all growing and moving away, we tend to treat the swaps as a 'Kids' thing and log but not swap. But on the logging on line question, take a look at this link where Moot does not log his finds. I'm sure he has his reasons, but I don't like the idea of people not bothering to log on the website. I look forward to reading the on-line logs and it makes it more likely that TBs will go missing if people don't log correctly.

Having just been down to Cornwall on holiday we did a few caches while there and was very disappointed at the goodies that had been left in the caches :) my 6 year old daughter asked me why we where putting good things in but there was only rubbish to take. My children love geocaching, it gets them out in the fresh air with great walks and places to see, but if adults continue to take all the goodies and replace it with junk then what chance do we have to introduce a new generation to this great game and the wonders of the great outdoors. Please promote equal trade or trade up, lets try and set an example to the younger generation so they don't go back to sitting on the couch watching the TV because it more fun! :)