Utah Geocacher Visiting Ga In October

phoenix-rose

Hi all!

I'm a Utah geocacher whom will be headed to Georgia sometime the first week of October. I'll be running between Carrollton, Duluth, and Atlanta area.

Looking for good geocaches. Any suggestions? (As few Nanos as possible please - hoping for geotreasure spots!)

Also hoping to make the 3rd annual GGA event challenge, but depends on family :D plans that weekend. (I'm the only geocacher so I *might* have to drag them and get them started :D )

Thanks for all the suggestions/help!

~Rose

Hi all!

I'm a Utah geocacher whom will be headed to Georgia sometime the first week of October.  I'll be running between Carrollton, Duluth, and Atlanta area.

Looking for good geocaches.  Any suggestions? (As few Nanos as possible please - hoping for geotreasure spots!)

Not sure what Nanos are...maybe micros??? There are a few good ones too.

Anyway, as far as the Duluth area, here are a few goodies (sorted by est. time to find - shortest to longest):

ADD Cache - Micro with a twist

Vulcan's Missing Key - Accessible during business days/times only

Sleepy Hollow - Best done right after dark

Willie's Woods - Nice small park around a stream

McDaniel Farm Fun - This one and 3 others below in same nice park

Old McDaniel Had A Farm

Sugar Spice and Everything Nice

Snips, Snails and Puppy Dog Tails

It is very dark - Short walk nightime cache just to the NorthEast

Pirates of the Carribean - Give this one some time due to traffic. Also best if finished before dark due to area sometimes unsafe after dark

If you can venture north some up 85 to Buford/Mall of Georgia area (hint...family can shop while you cache), check out these:

Water Wheel 2

Mog's Cache

Mog's Micro

Buzzsaw

There have also been a few Terracaches placed recently too, so PM me if you are interested in them.

Hope this lists helps.

There are more around (way too many boring micros) so just scan the pages and look at the last few logs if you are interested in others.

If you want recommendations for Atlanta and Carrollton areas, maybe try the Georgia Geocachers website at http://ggaonline.org.

Also hoping to make the 3rd annual GGA event challenge, but depends on family  :lol: plans that weekend.  (I'm the only geocacher so I *might* have to drag them and get them started  :ph34r: )

Thanks for all the suggestions/help!

~Rose

The challenge is a blast and the family would have other family members to talk to as some usually come along.

There will be food for all and prizes for participants.

Be prepared to get a workout though if you are competitive.

Kenneth

Great info KP! Couldn't have said it better.

Only going to add a link to the most outstanding caches in Georgia. One might get some good info there.

You also might want to follow the link that KP posted to the GGA website and then visit our forums and browse around a bit and post there. Your post will be read by a lot more Georgia folks there than over here.

Hope to see you at the Challenge!

These are great guys - thanks!

I'm not sure how the challenge goes - what happens there/etc. I just came in 4th with my roommate out of 10 teams for the Utah 5th birthday event where we played a game called the amazing race, but total exhaustion by the end was truly the case.

I believe Nanos are micros, only smaller (to me, micros are about the size of a 35 mm film canister). Nanos are generally less than 1 inch long and maybe the width of your pinky around with the log rolled up in side. (Anything from a specimin sample container to a drilled out 2 inch bolt!) Honestly, I'm pretty bad at them, and find that if they're under a light pole and/or in parking lots (generally the case here) I have learned to dislike them.

Things I call "good caches" are the ones where you might not have known x existed or noticed before, for example hidden parks, a headstone of someone important in a graveyard, or my personal favorite here in utah is a beautiful waterfall that you drive right by but because the road goes one way and canyon the other, you'd never see it. Ya, maybe you don't find the "box" itself, but the find is more than the box. Re Hikes, I'd say 2-3 miles for Utah is the limit for me, but I think as far as Georgia goes, the mountains aren't so steep (nor is the terrain) so maybe 4 or 5 miles.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I'm sure this trip will be a blast.

~Rose