Fyi For Garmin Repair In Canada

Newfiezedder

Just a FYI for all Garmin people up here. Recently when I called Garmin to get an RMA I found out that I just have to send my GPSr to Raytech for repair. They do not require a RMA just a copy of the bill and the return form from their site. Hope it saves somebody some time and at the same time hope nobody has to use it.

Cheers

Newfiezedder

Edited by newfiezedder

Based on previous discussions here in the Canada Forum you can say good-bye to your GPSr for a while by sending it to the Canadian repair centre. Others have insisted that they send it directly to Garmin and have gotten a decent turn-around by doing that.

Do a search on the subject and read other cachers opinion before deciding.

Cheers, Olar

Maybe I should offer my services to Garmin for warranty repair? :anitongue:

I was doing two-way for a couple of years so I gots me all the tools. Hmmm...

I suspect the biggest slow-down in service in Quebec is from them ordering in replacement components for the units. They likely keep their stock nice and low (because the parts are expensive) and place an order once a month. Or perhaps they just stockpile the broken GPS units and send a shipment to Kansas once a month. Either way, good business for them, bad service for you. <_<

I went to check out Ratech's website. Why you'd want to download their 2002 catalogue is a bit of a mystery.

C-A

Finally got around to power up the unit to see if it was all good. Guess what, problem not fixed. A simple little up doesn't work on the center button. The letter that came with it said that problem verified and unit replaced, guess not. I am going to send it to Garmin, I would recommend the same to everybody

Hmmm

I bought a GPSMAP 60 myself 2 weeks ago from an EBay store.

A couple of days ago, I started having huge contrast problems and a flickering display.

I called Garmin and they told me I had to get it repaired at Raytech as well.

After a lot of invoice problems because of the whole EBay thing, Raytech told me they'll exchange my GPS for a new unit.

I'm supposed to go see them next Saturday (They are about 250km from where I live) to get my unit replaced.

I'll let you guys know how it went.

Richard - VE2ER

Edited by VE2ER

Picked it up, was just an unit, bare bones, but looks brand new, and already has all my data in it? So my review of Raytech is, little slow to get things done (5 weeks to ship a replacement unit), but really fast to fix their mistakes (1 day to get a actual replacement). Would I use them again, maybe. Cheers

Greg

About a week ago I was climbing a hill looking for a cache when I fell on a rock. The good news is that I was not damaged, the bad news is that my GPSr broke my fall <_< . The unit (an eTrex Legend) still functions in every manner but the screen is half obscured by cracks and bleeding liquid crystal. After reading the reviews for Raytech I'm not happy about the idea of sending it to them for a screen replacement, But the chap in the USA office informed me that their would be grate expense to ship it over the boarder to them. As this is not a warranty issue I'm just not sure what to do.

About a week ago I was climbing a hill looking for a cache when I fell on a rock. The good news is that I was not damaged, the bad news is that my GPSr broke my fall <_< . The unit (an eTrex Legend) still functions in every manner but the screen is half obscured by cracks and bleeding liquid crystal. After reading the reviews for Raytech I'm not happy about the idea of sending it to them for a screen replacement, But the chap in the USA office informed me that their would be grate expense to ship it over the boarder to them. As this is not a warranty issue I'm just not sure what to do.

Give UPS a call for a rate quote. They have their own customs clearance and there is no duty on items for repair that will be returned. You also might check with your employer if they use a parcel courier service. They may get discounted rates that you can take advantage of by sending out through them. Specify the same carrier for the return from Garmin.

Good luck, Olar

Update:

I went to Raytech last Saturday to exchange my GPSMAP60.

Everything went very smoothly. They had already prepared a box with my new unit and all my info in it.

I brought everything there... The box, CD, cable, unit etc etc.. And they changed everything.

I must say I've had a good experience with Raytech :unsure:

VE2ER

Well here is the finale tally on my experience:

Ranked out of 5

Turn around: 3:5 (5 weeks to get the first unit back)

Turn around on their mistake: 5:5 (had it the day after I called them)

Check for my shipping cost: 6:5 (1 extra for making me laugh when I saw the check in French, should have expected it I guess)

All in all I would say a good experience, turn around could have been better, but hey could have been as long going to the US and back with Customs.

Cheers

Greg