Question About Earthcaches And Waymarking

Since earthcaches are on Waymarking now, can I assume that there is no longer a distance requirement to keep it seperate from a pre-existing virtual cache? There is a great earthcache possibility in my state, but it is located at the site of a very old virtual. Are both acceptable in that area now?

Before anyone flames me for trying to usurp someone's site, I would only do the earthcache if they chose not to.

I don't believe there was ever a distance requirement for Earthcaches. Earthcaches have been approved in the past at the same location as existing caches. I expect that the rules for them will be similar on Waymarking.com. You will still need to submit your Earthcache proposal through www.earthcache.org where "Geoaware" will approve them and then submit them for listing.

I don't believe there was ever a distance requirement for Earthcaches. Earthcaches have been approved in the past at the same location as existing caches. I expect that the rules for them will be similar on Waymarking.com. You will still need to submit your Earthcache proposal through www.earthcache.org where "Geoaware" will approve them and then submit them for listing.

I would think that since Geoaware owns the Earthcache category, that we would (eventually?) just submit new Earthcache waymarks here, rather than having to go through the earthcache.org site. Of course, that is up to Geoaware. :ph34r:

--Marky

Most of the earthcaches submitted to www.earthcache.org meet all the requirements and are posted. From 1 October they will be posted as waymarks.

From then, people will be able to just submit an Earthcache via the Waymark system....and GSA (the approver formally known as Geoaware) will approve or reject using the guidelines.

Any person that gets an Earthcache rejected will get an email telling them why. They will have an opportunity to fix up any issues and resubmit. If we hear nothing after a week or so, the submission is deleted.

All Earthcaches..no matter is they are geocaching.com and Waymarking.com...are listed on the www.earthache.org portal.

I hope that helps.......

There was never a distance issue with Earthcaches.

Ah man! I went through a lot of trouble with my Bathing with the Devil Earthcache and my Fireflies: A Night Cache to keep them within the distance guideline.

Had I known it didn't apply to Earthcaches, I may have started the night cache at the earth cache, or at least closer to it. I guess that's what happens when you assume. It was the first Earthcache in the area, so I didn't have experience with them.

GeoAware had told me before that I couldn't keep my EarthCache on both Geocaching.com and also on Waymarking.com

I no longer understand why this is. I would gladly Archive my EarthCache IF and ONLY IF everyone else has to move them over.

Since Waymarking is being presented as a different game and site than Geocaching... I think I should be able to list it on both (as it is now, pending the decision)

I'm in favour of this variation of Virtual being on Waymarking instead, but if everyone gets to leave their EarthCache while other items like Locationless and probably soon Virtuals and WebCams will get Archived at some point in the future, I think that EarthCaches should be treated the same.

So... can I keep both listings, one at each site? And if not... why not?

;) The Blue Quasar

I plan on keeping all my Earthcaches at geocaching.com at this time. This waymark thing may turn out to be bigger than geocaching.com eventually but I'm gonna wait and see. I want to get the biggest exposure possible for my Earthcaches so more people will visit them and learn about them. When Waymarking becomes bigger than geocaching then I would consider moving them (unless forced to do so prior to that).

However, even if it becomes bigger I think they may get lost in the umpteen number of categories that soon will exist and noone will pay any attention to them. There is a certain status that they have right now on geocaching.com as one of only 16 or 20 categories.

Now, allowing an Earthcache at both sites seem reasonable to me and I would have even greater exposure that way. Since one of my goals with listing Earthcaches is to educate people about the Earth Sciences I want my sites listed where they will get the greatest exposure. Unfortunately, the direction seems to be that geocaching.com will only support physical container caches in the future it would seem that our days are numbered. I would hope that the existing ones will remain indefinitely somewhat like the Planet Ape caches even though no new ones may get approved.

On a slightly different note, another forum topic is discussing the possibility of having a physical container at an Earthcache site but of course only if the locaiton would allow a physical container. Could Earthcaches morph into container and containerless versions?

I plan on keeping all my Earthcaches at geocaching.com at this time.

Excellent. I've been meaning to ask you about that for awhile now. If you ever do intend to move your gc.com earthcaches to Waymarking, please give us all 90 days notice (post a note to all the gc.com earthcaches.)

Anyhow, glad to know I don't have to immediately rush off to do all your gc.com earthcaches before they're converted to waymarks. I'm finding that Waymarking comes across as dull and tedious, it's like geocaching, but with all the fun drained out of it. :laughing:

A gc.com earthcache is somehow more interesting, visitable and loggable than a wm.com earthcache.

My question was though...

Can an EarthCache exist at both Geocaching.com and Waymarking.com at the same time?

I think that it should, and I hope that Jeremy and/or GeoAware can enlighten me if this is not the case and why.

As for the statement by DogsBreathCanada

A gc.com earthcache is somehow more interesting, visitable and loggable than a wm.com earthcache

And why exactly is that? Since mine is an exact duplicate, I don't see why they must be seen differently, unless you mean because of the minimal exposure on WM.com until it starts to become more accepted and utilized.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

A gc.com earthcache is somehow more interesting, visitable and loggable than a wm.com earthcache

And why exactly is that? Since mine is an exact duplicate, I don't see why they must be seen differently, unless you mean because of the minimal exposure on WM.com until it starts to become more accepted and utilized.

It's just the nature of the site. The way it's designed compared to geocaching. People will try to pretend (or convince themselves) it's geocaching and more ... but without an overhaul (which isn't going to happen, since the site design is pretty much locked in), Waymarking is always going to feel like a point of interest listing service ... versus geocaching, which feels like a hobby and a game and a weekend activity.

Geocaching has felt as I've described since day one, since my very first visit. Waymarking has been missing that je ne sais quoi feeling since I first encountered it. It's always felt somewhat clinical. I can't imagine anything they could add would change that, but you never know.

I guess the relative chaos of the site, in terms of categories especially, adds some frustration to the mix. And I imagine that chaos only getting worse (the category free-for-all) once the site it opened to the world in October.

That's all off-topic though.

I'm just glad that South Surrey is going to keep his Earthcaches on geocaching.com for the time being.