Posting A Pic Of The Cache Ok?

Kromwell

Howdy,

We just found our first cache, and were wondering, is it considered bad edicate to post a pic of the cache (a red decon container), in your post saying you found said cache? Is it bad taste to do this, or is it considered OK? The pic I'm thinking of, just has the cache laying down on a picnic table, so it doesn't give the location of the cache away.

Thanks!

Kromwell

Usually it isn't a problem if its a run of the mill container. Everbody's seen an ammo box, decon bopx or Tupperware so the photo shouldn't spoil anything.

On the other hand if its unique camo job and/or carefully designed to blend in with its surroundings, or if the photo would give away too much about the hunt then it would not be appropriate.

There is a local cacher who takes pics at every cache. Problem I see with this is he takes the pic where the cache is. Like if it is hiding in/by a tree, he has his family pose by that tree. So his pictures can give away where the cache is hidden :D I stopped looking along time ago at his pictures before I went to find the cache because I would get close and then remember his picture and could find the spot right away. If you're gonna take a pic, I would include in the title that it may be a spoiler, that way people can think before they open it.

Howdy,

We just found our first cache, and were wondering, is it considered bad edicate to post a pic of the cache (a red decon container), in your post saying you found said cache? Is it bad taste to do this, or is it considered OK? The pic I'm thinking of, just has the cache laying down on a picnic table, so it doesn't give the location of the cache away.

Thanks!

Kromwell

What would be the purpose of posting a picture of the container?

It is not something I would do, if some one posted a picture of one of mine and it was a camoed cache i would delete the log.

I'm guessing that there's no current way to just delete the photo from the log, or encrypt the photo, like a hint. As for my take, if the cache description describes the cache container, a pic would be fine taken away from the hiding location. If not, you might want to email the owner of the cache and ask if the pic is okay, which would probably keep everyone happy.

I posted a pic of the container once, but only because someone else had already posted a pic in their log. It was one of the first few we found. I don't think I'd do that again unless it's a standard ammo box with no special markings and the listing says it's an ammo box. There have been a couple that I've posted a pic but strategically placed a black box over the container so as to not give away what people might be looking for.

I'm guessing that there's no current way to just delete the photo from the log, or encrypt the photo, like a hint. As for my take, if the cache description describes the cache container, a pic would be fine taken away from the hiding location. If not, you might want to email the owner of the cache and ask if the pic is okay, which would probably keep everyone happy.

I agree with Brian_R. If there is any doubt in your mind (and there must be because you posted the question in the forum), I would e-mail the picture to the cache owner and ask of he or she minds if you post it.

As for my take, if the cache description describes the cache container, a pic would be fine taken away from the hiding location.

I believe the OP said it the cache was on a nearby picnic table so as not to show the location.

If not, you might want to email the owner of the cache and ask if the pic is okay, which would probably keep everyone happy.

I take pictures at almost every cache I find. I restrict the real spoilers to my Geocaching Photo Journal on my website. I also post a lot of log pictures. I take care never to post log pictures that give the location away, but if I post a photo in a log that I wonder if the owner might object I email a note saying I'll be happy to remove the photo if s/he prefers. I figure a photo they'd rather not have being up for a couple of days can't hurt much. So far no one has ever objected.

I like people to post photos when they do my caches.

Edited by Thot
As a way of showing that I did find it?

When you sign the log you are proving you found it.

We've taken pictures at some of the caches we've found, but we only post pics that do not give away any details. I think in 2 of our photos you can see part of the container, but in each case the container was just a container. We would never post a picture of the container if the container was unique.

I take a picture of myself at all of my finds, but rarely do I actually take a picture of the actual cache or myself AT the hiding spot. I always put in the photo name or description, though, what the picture is. For example, "Me holding the cache" or "Me near the cache site." That way people know whether or not they want to look at the picture before they go out to find a cache themselves. On a recent virtual that asks the finder to submit an answer taken from a sign, I took a picture of myself by the sign, but Photoshopped out what the sign said so people couldn't just look at my entry and log a find.

To be honest, if someone is reading the logs and viewing user photos before they go looking for the cache him- or herself, they are just asking to have the game spoiled because they are bound to run into something that, while it may not be a dead give-away, will give them additional clues. For example, people might write something like "My son spotted this before we even got there. This is one cache where it helps not to have stratospheric vision." Of course, if you read this, you will know that the cache is low to the ground and in plain sight if you bend down. Photos are the same way, in my opinion. I only read the logs or view photos after I've either found the cache or if I'm having trouble finding on and I'm looking for a little extra help. If someone doesn't want more information, they shouldn't be reading the logs or viewing the photos in the first place more than to see if the last three people logged DNFs.

[edit: removed some repeated words]

Edited by omegabane

What would be the purpose of posting a picture of the container?

Here's one purpose: Last summer we found a micro in Vancouver -- and we did not have a pen or pencil. Since the cache was 2,500 miles from home, it was not one we can easily return to. So we took a photo of the cache container, too close to be a spoiler, and posted that as proof of the find in lieu of the signed log.