Ktag Coins Now On Sale!

hammerjane

No need for a waiting list! Here is the list of everyone who requested coins. Check to make sure the number of coins requested is correct. Email me with any corrections. Thanks for all the interest in the KTAG coins!

NashvilleJoe 4

Bulli TWD 4

AbbysGrammy 4

JoGPS 20

wildbill13 10

areynolds65 4

SDAJumpmaster 9

tennis40love 4

horseride 4

Artemis90 2

Addams Family 2

SoonerKats 6

kiowa169 9

Leavearock 4

Inspector 1 4

seekersofcache 2

Carney007 10

Kilted Cacher 5

AB4N 2

LSUMonica 7

AtlantaGal 1

Vargseld 1

XRN95 3

MandMHunter 4

f0t0m0m 5

Camp Explorer 5

ladycacher 3

Cachebert 5

ghostwriter13 3

TeamCoyChev 2

Utahbill 41

Doughball 2

Shop99er 2

Tin Ear 3

joefrog 2

Yogi 10

geolands 3

Team Shydog 3

Palm Grunt 3

legna/soulbait 5

Camel680 2

DLiming 2

geocrickets 2

jcar 6

CyclopsofMI 3

Nurse Dave 112

BisonWoman 3

MichiganChris 2

cpparrothead 2

bullit1 60

cornerstone4 10

toojin 10

wildwoodbob 2

darby gill 5

jake teamai 3

team owl 1

keving68 3

team zebra 2

MikeOtt 2

LemonFreshDog 3

Cog&Gil 5

Edited by hammerjane

Yes... the new trend of coins selling out here in hours rather than days seems to be happening more often. Groups need to start recognizing the new level of demand for their coins, and adjusting their order levels to the demand. I have seen this trend is other hobbies, and eventually it leads to people giving up on collecting items, because there is not way they can "get them all".

I am concerned now with going on vacation next week. My PC access for 2 weeks will be limited at best, and I could easily miss out completely on several coins. I don't know that there is an easy remedy, but I think people need to start recognizing that demand levels have increased tremendously over the past few months.

Jim - of f0t0m0m

Yes... the new trend of coins selling out here in hours rather than days seems to be happening more often. Groups need to start recognizing the new level of demand for their coins, and adjusting their order levels to the demand. I have seen this trend is other hobbies, and eventually it leads to people giving up on collecting items, because there is not way they can "get them all"....

I'm about ready to try and tackle a coin guide that coin makers/buyers can use to make life easier. It should be full of holes and errors, but as I learn, and get feedback it would improve.

Sounds like a project. Meanwhile I've finally got my cache backtogether and need to replace it at lunch. Hooah!

As for getting them all, I think those days are gone. But with anything the fun is in the trying. Someday we may find that a Hawaii 2006, is worth 27 California 2006s. Just because there are more Californians and so more coins. Or it could be that the 2006 California came together in such a way that it's the perfect balance of metal, color, art, and somehow is more than the sum of it's parts achieving a certain magic and it's the one worth more evne though it has more out there.

Who knows where it will go?

I am going to have to agree with f0t0m0m on this one. When your collector base gets frustrated they end up selling everything, then look at who ends up holding the bag. I got lucky on the WCGC coins, but they were immediately spoken for within hours of the reservation period ending. Why not make enough to meet demand? This is supposed to be a fun thing.

I do not see anyone trying to make a buck off it other than the coin club. If the objective were to make cash then limited editions of less than 300 pieces would initially be selling for $30, $40 or $50 each under traditional supply and demand theories. So what are we trying to accomplish here?

Perhaps cashing out on ebay is not as redicilous as it appears now that we have sense of what the future trend will be for geocoins? It will be interesting to watch.

Yes this is way off topic - hope it did not come across as a rant. Sorry...

Edited by Rupert2
I am going to have to agree with f0t0m0m on this one. When your collector base gets frustrated they end up selling everything, then look at who ends up holding the bag. I got lucky on the WCGC coins, but they were immediately spoken for within hours of the reservation period ending. Why not make enough to meet demand? This is supposed to be a fun thing.

I don't agree. One thing that immediately comes to mind to me is money. I highly doubt the majority of organizations (which is what both this coin and the WCRC coin represents) can afford to mint enough coins to satisfy the entire collector base. Coins are really quite expensive.

I also don't see anything at all wrong with "first come, first served". There have been some coins I missed that I wanted, so I just traded for them. Honestly, if you're that upset over missing a few coins then maybe you're getting into collecting a little bit too much. :anitongue:

Minting enough coins to satisfy everyone would also create another problem. I started collected US coins long before geocoins, and without a doubt the scarcer ones are the ones that I really cherish the most. A wheat cent is nice, but can't come close to one with an indian on it. <_< Likewise the Alaska coin, for example, is very nice, but I would still say that my NWPA coin is my favorite. If every coin was equal I don't think it would be even remotely as much fun to collect geocoins as it is now.

hope it did not come across as a rant. Sorry...

Too late. :anitongue:

The coin "boom" is exactly that. It has become huge, and there is really no way to keep up. Some of the older coins are all but impossible to get now. Maybe we should re-mint some of them so everyone can get one?

Collecting IS fun. If it becomes work, then it's time to step back and re-examine it!

I don't agree. One thing that immediately comes to mind to me is money. I highly doubt the majority of organizations (which is what both this coin and the WCRC coin represents) can afford to mint enough coins to satisfy the entire collector base. Coins are really quite expensive.

Good point, but the pre-payment should alleviate many of these problems with the exception of distribution effort. I have GREAT appreciation for those poor souls who get to package and distribute these things. 200-300 would be bad enough let alone 1000 or so.

LOVE the design concept. VERY unique!

Let me explain something on why we only ordered 500 KTAG coins minted.

1. I started our group, KTAG, by creating a forum for the cachers in the Ft. Campbell, Clarksville, TN and Hopkinsville, KY areas. The whole idea of the forum was to give a place for the area cachers to share ideas and get together. We have about 40 members in our local area.

2. Since Hammerjane (my wife as of 9/2/05) and I both collect coins, we thought up the idea and fronted the money for the coins to promote our newly formed group. This also gave the new KTAG members something to be proud of and something to actually hold as evidence of the "club". We are planning of coming out with a new version every year, but the club will decide on the design and quantity in the future.

3. We chose the design to make it stand out. The design also represents the large percentage of military geocachers will have present in our group. Our first event was to honor the guys and gals that have or will be returning to Iraq to serve our country in the very near future.

4. The BIGGEST reason is that we didn't want to mass produce a coin that "everyone" would own. We want it to be special. We want people to want the coin. The "smaller" minted quantity helps the collector in having a coin that is worth more in trade with other collectors. If everybody doesn't have the coin, then you actually will have something that someone else doesn't have.

Think about how many of you that collect coins, try to trade with someone else, just to find out that they already have the same coins you do. This way, EVERYBODY doesn't have the coin, and those that do, now actually have a coin that they can trade.

I am sorry if anyone is offended, but we made the decision that we did for the above stated reasons. We weren't trying to please everybody, because who can. We wanted a coin for our new geocaching group that stood out from the rest and was special for the collector. The coin was our way sharing with the public a part of our group and let everyone know we are here in the caching world.

Everyone is welcome to check out our club's forum page at KTAG. Next year when we have date set to mint the new version, it will be posted there first in advance and then made public after a certain length of time.

Think about how many of you that collect coins, try to trade with someone else, just to find out that they already have the same coins you do. This way, EVERYBODY doesn't have the coin, and those that do, now actually have a coin that they can trade.

I am sorry if anyone is offended, but we made the decision that we did for the above stated reasons. We weren't trying to please everybody, because who can. We wanted a coin for our new geocaching group that stood out from the rest and was special for the collector. The coin was our way sharing with the public a part of our group and let everyone know we are here in the caching world.

No apology necessary, you did the right thing!

Well, maybe an apology to Hammerjane on 9/3? :anitongue:

We wanted a coin for our new geocaching group that stood out from the rest and was special for the collector. The coin was our way sharing with the public a part of our group and let everyone know we are here in the caching world.

as it should be... No need to make apologies for that.

I was just banging my head against the wall because I was not in the right place at the right time and missed out on a REALLY COOL coin. Sorry for the rant.

As a clarification to my earlier statements.... I agree that everyone, individual or group, has the right to decide how many coins they want to produce and how they want to distribute them. My concerns are based entirely in what I have seen happen in some other hobbies, and may be totally irrelevant when appliced to the collecting of GeoCoins.

I enjoy the hunt for the rarer coins as much as anyone, I was just trying to point out the recent trend of things selling out before many people even know they exist.

Jim - of f0t0mom

It's a tough issue -- the demand for new coins certainly exceeds the supply. Even editions of a 1000 coins seem to sell out in a couple weeks.

Oh well... personally, I collect geocoins, but do not really care if I have every one of them, in every metal, in a special number, etc, etc.

If anyone has a special coin, I'll trade when and where I can -- including for one of the KTAG coins. Otherwise, I'll just have to live without it I guess.

Maybe I'll find one in a cache? HAHAHAHA! :unsure::huh:

hammerjane,

We going on vacation in a couple of days, and will be out of touch for several days at a time.

If you have the pricing and where I should send a check, I would appreiciate it if you could get it to me NLT Thursday night. Say 2100 PDT.

Otherwise, it'll be the end of September before I can pay up.

Thanks,

Shop99er

Silver Dragon, that was a good post. My coin group ICE is on the waiting list and if we are lucky may get a coin or two. The important thing isn't so much 500 or 250 coins, it's that your group had a vision and gave these things some thought. Every group is different and no matter how they do things not everone is going to be happy. However when you do give it some thought, and are up front about your goals and decisions, then you have done everthing you needed to do. There will still be complaints but they will baseless.

Good luck.

Even though I missed out on this one, I agree about the limited number of coins. It does make them more valuable as a trade. I am part of a group that is producing 100 coins for its 50 members. That's it. No more. Maybe it will be desirable enough to trade for one of yours! I hope so.

Received email today for payment. Just finished making payment thru Paypal. Just curious, noticed three email address on the payment email. One address was from sender. One address was for questions about coins/payment, and the third was the email to send money to. Just checking to see if this was ok.

Now for the downside of using three email addresses. Emails can be sent out to potential buyers (from hackers/using sellers email address) and have them send money to a different paypal email address then the sellers address. I would rather send money to the sellers main email address that I have corresponded with in the past. I do know that Paypal protects us from this, but it looks like it could potentially be done. Any thoughts?

Please let me know that you received my payment. I will sure feel better.

Anyhow, coins are paid. Thanks

legna and sOulbAit

Received email today for payment. Just finished making payment thru Paypal. Just curious, noticed three email address on the payment email. One address was from sender. One address was for questions about coins/payment, and the third was the email to send money to. Just checking to see if this was ok.

Now for the downside of using three email addresses. Emails can be sent out to potential buyers (from hackers/using sellers email address) and have them send money to a different paypal email address then the sellers address. I would rather send money to the sellers main email address that I have corresponded with in the past. I do know that Paypal protects us from this, but it looks like it could potentially be done. Any thoughts?

Please let me know that you received my payment. I will sure feel better.

Anyhow, coins are paid. Thanks

legna and sOulbAit

Ditto above post. Just paid for my 5 coins.

I've been receiving payments. I'll post a list of payments received shortly. As for an explanation of the various email addresses, it helps me keep things organized since I get so much email. This way it is easier for me to prioritize and respond to everyone's emails quickly.

Thanks for all the prompt payments!

Edited by hammerjane

I have received payment from the following as of 12:22 pm EST 9-2-05

areynolds65

tennis40love

kiowa169

seekersofcache

Kilted Cacher

AtlantaGal

XRN95

Camp Explorer

Cachebert