Compass Reading

Oatway

I'm fairly new to geocaching (found my first cache yesterday). I'm going for a cache today that has the following in the write-up: "from the waypoint...the cache is 21.6 meters distant, on a bearing of 96 degrees magnetic"

My question is this: my compass calls north 0, east 90, south 180, and west 270. Is this a standard thing with all compasses (or navigating in general), meaning that a bearing of 96 degrees would be roughly east (or more accurately, just slightly south of east)?

Just wanted to check before I head out, so I'm not walking a circle with a diameter of 43.2m untill I find the cache!

Thanks.

you are correct. there are 360 degrees in a circle and all compasses (unless they are divided into mils, don't worry about it) use this layout. for more information on using a compass, there are several old threads here that explore the topic, and i can certainly recommend becoming expert with map and compass by bjorn kjellstrom as an excellent reference. there are numerous other books on the subject as well as a number of online tutorials (see the usof webpage, look under education). good luck. -harry

Just didn't know if other compasses might increase counter-clockwise, or have a different direction as 0 degrees (We use east as 0, and increase counter-clockwise when drawing using AutoCAD at work) Good to know it's a standard thing.

Thanks!

I'm fairly new to geocaching (found my first cache yesterday). I'm going for a cache today that has the following in the write-up: "from the waypoint...the cache is 21.6 meters distant, on a bearing of 96 degrees magnetic"

My question is this: my compass calls north 0, east 90, south 180, and west 270. Is this a standard thing with all compasses (or navigating in general), meaning that a bearing of 96 degrees would be roughly east (or more accurately, just slightly south of east)?

Just wanted to check before I head out, so I'm not walking a circle with a diameter of 43.2m untill I find the cache!

Thanks.

Yes as long as the degrees are specified as magnetic you can just use the numbers around the housing of a standard compass. If the degrees are in relation to true north then you will need to add an understanding of declination to your toolbox. Declination changes with your position in a relatively predictable pattern. USGS maps have the data in the margin and it is generally accurate enough unless specific anomalies exist like magnitite outcroppings or the like.