Telescopic Hiking Staffs

:P I use an old set ski of poles. They do not break down but they work really well.

I bet you can pick up a pair at a yard sale at a good price. It also has another use when the wet stuff turns cold.

Me too! I found an old pair of ski poles in my dad's garage. One ski sits in my Corolla's trunk, the other in the back of my pickup. The round plastic "wing" tip on the bottom of the poles work great for pushing out overhanging branches.

When I bike, I take along a collapsible aluminum pole I salvaged from a cargo net thingamagig.

Yep, I'm cheap!

I now own three hiking staffs.

My favorite one is one I made myself with the help of a local beaver. However, since it doesn't collapse, I almost never bring it with me.

The second one I bought was a mid-range aluminumcollapsing staff with a cork grip.

The other day, I bought my third. I bought it out of necessity. It has a horizontal grip the allows it to be used as a cane (the aforementioned necessity). The lower part of this grip is a standard plastic staff grip. Just below that is a foam grip. I'm reasonably certain that it will replace my regular collapsing staff in my hiking gear. Its just too useful.

My favorite one is one I made myself with the help of a local beaver. However, since it doesn't collapse, I almost never bring it with me.

The second one I bought was a mid-range aluminumcollapsing staff with a cork grip.

The other day, I bought my third. I bought it out of necessity. It has a horizontal grip the allows it to be used as a cane (the aforementioned necessity). The lower part of this grip is a standard plastic staff grip. Just below that is a foam grip. I'm reasonably certain that it will replace my regular collapsing staff in my hiking gear. Its just too useful.

please contact me off line with info on this cane/hiking staff

cc\

I bought a pair of Leki poles a couple years ago. I've used them on everything from short hikes to Grand Canyon touring. I love staves for the support and the increase in speed they give me on longer hikes. For the climbs/descents you just can't beat them. A few years ago I was section hiking the AT and I just went and picked up some rake/broom handles at Lowes. They worked great, but not being collapsable was a downside. I find that the wooden staffs I use cause as much "ruckus" in the woods as the Leki poles without the rubber tips. The only thing that does cause noise on my Leki poles is the spring joints knocking against the inside of the staff. I've been thinking about coming up with a way to pad it and make it quieter if anyone else has already done it. I have the Leki Super Makalu's with the forward angle grips.

VW

Well, we took our Wal-Mart specials on their first real test this past weekend. At one urban park trail one of them came in handy when Mama SQ slipped on some loose rock on some log steps. The stick help break her fall so that I could get to her quickly enough and there was no injury. Without it she would have had, at the least, a badly sprained ankle.

The first test was that morning when we all took up the challenge to climb to the top of Enchanted Rock. I know for some of you out there it is no big deal, but it was for us (I'm 46 and not NEARLY in as good of shape as I was when I got out the USMC over 13 yrs ago) - especially since we took the shorter, more direct route. A 425ft. rise in .6 mile, most of that rise in the back half of that. It took us a little while (we were being smart and careful) but we made it without incident and the sticks helped make it easier and safer.

So all-in-all I think the $20 was a pretty good investment! When it comes time to replace them we'll probably move up to more feature-rich models.

Edited by Semper Questio

I've been a "stick" man for all of my adult life. I like the heft of a natural wooden pole. I got a Wally World collapsable pole one day to try out something lighter, and ended up giving it to my daughter. It just didn't feel right. I know those titanium poles are stronger than steel, but to me they "felt" wimpy. Hard to explain.

Different strokes for different folks.

My favorite one is one I made myself with the help of a local beaver.  However, since it doesn't collapse, I almost never bring it with me.

The other day, I bought my third.  I bought it out of necessity.  It has a horizontal grip the allows it to be used as a cane (the aforementioned necessity).  The lower part of this grip is a standard plastic staff grip.  Just below that is a foam grip.  I'm reasonably certain that it will replace my regular collapsing staff in my hiking gear.  Its just too useful.

please contact me off line with info on this cane/hiking staff

cc\

thanks for your contact -

went to his 'store' -

sent him an e-mail several days ago - still no response-

will buy 2 but he won't answer

this is the link to his store -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Anti-shock-walking-can...oQQcmdZViewItem

just an fyi

cc\

Edited by CompuCash