Website Change Request

Lone Star Drifter

I have talked to several geocachers in and around my area and a cool change to the website was discussed and I thought I would bring it to your attention.

After finding caches for the day and I go to log them and I go to the log a find why couldn't you add the option FTF and then have it highlight that cache in your recent caches found listed on your account page and also keep track of them in your stats page??

Just an idea, please let me know what you think.

I have talked to several geocachers in and around my area and a cool change to the website was discussed and I thought I would bring it to your attention.

After finding caches for the day and I go to log them and I go to the log a find why couldn't you add the option FTF and then have it highlight that cache in your recent caches found listed on your account page and also keep track of them in your stats page??

Just an idea, please let me know what you think.

For what purpose???

It's not a bad idea since a lot of people do like to know how many. I have no clue and while I'd like to know I'm not going to slog through all my caches to figure it out.

The one thing would that I'd have it so the cache owner has to confirm your FTF before it's official. After all, why have a FTF if Joe Cacher down the street is a jerk and claimes FTF in spite of anyone elses log?

After all, why have a FTF if Joe Cacher down the street is a jerk and claimes FTF in spite of anyone elses log?

Yes, Joe Cacher could just be a jerk and log a FTF, but doesn't the cache owner have the option to go into his the cache he owns and permenantly delete logs? I believe he does.

Lets see, the website is on record as to not wanting stats and you want to add another one????

Not all geocachers talk about FTF's, some talk about those cachers who think FTF's are important. Some just point and laugh.

Sorry I don't see it happening.

You could start a website where people could track their FTF's. That would solve the problem and be a lot faster than waiting for something that might never happen.

Everyone has new ideas about more features for the site. Then everyone complains that the features take too long to make it to the site. Did anyone ever think that there are only so many hours in the day and if all the requested features were to be implemented it would probably take 2-3 years before they got to this one. There are that many suggestions floating around.

(yes I did the same thing you did, I generalized by saying everyone. That was my point. Generalizations are never a good thing)

Edited by LaPaglia

I see this as only starting online fights about who was REALLY the FTF cacher. I know the owner has the power to delete logs and such but as a owner myself FTF's are something I really don't care about so I won't be showing any interest in trying to determine who was the FTF cacher. I just don't think such a feature is needed or that it would work IMOHO.

. . .

The one thing would that I'd have it so the cache owner has to confirm your FTF before it's official . . .

Sorry . . . it was 100 degrees here today. I would not want to hike nearly a mile up to one of my caches to read the log book to confirm who got there first. I'm only going to go check on my caches after someone posts a DNF . . .

The real FTF hounds around here seem to keep really good track of their accomplishments without needing the website to confirm it for them . . .

After all, why have a FTF if Joe Cacher down the street is a jerk and claimes FTF in spite of anyone elses log?

Yes, Joe Cacher could just be a jerk and log a FTF, but doesn't the cache owner have the option to go into his the cache he owns and permenantly delete logs? I believe he does.

True enough. However to delete a false FTF log you would still have to physically verify. I still would not want a person to make an official claim without that verification and reading other posts in this thread you can see that's problamatic.

...Lets see, the website is on record as to not wanting stats and you want to add another one????

Not all geocachers talk about FTF's, some talk about those cachers who think FTF's are important. Some just point and laugh. ...

Let's see. This website has a forum for discussing ideas and monitors that forum for feedback. The idea is one I like, but I do think it's not very easy to implement even if this site were so inclined. As for FTF, some geocachers enjoy getting them, some like to list them on their profile, others like to beat out the competition ,and some have a lot of it. It takes all kinds to play this game, and the ones who just point and laugh are laughable themselves. Hopefully you don't know anyone so shallow as to think that their belittling another’s fun, is anything other than pathetic.

...Lets see, the website is on record as to not wanting stats and you want to add another one????

Not all geocachers talk about FTF's, some talk about those cachers who think FTF's are important. Some just point and laugh. ...

Let's see. This website has a forum for discussing ideas and monitors that forum for feedback. The idea is one I like, but I do think it's not very easy to implement even if this site were so inclined. As for FTF, some geocachers enjoy getting them, some like to list them on their profile, others like to beat out the competition ,and some have a lot of it. It takes all kinds to play this game, and the ones who just point and laugh are laughable themselves. Hopefully you don't know anyone so shallow as to think that their belittling another’s fun, is anything other than pathetic.

Actually I know of a few. None of them live in Colorado but it takes all kinds which makes my point.

Geocachers are always talking about bragging rights when they are the FTF, so wouldn't be cool if there was a way of tracking the actual # of FTF's you had?
It was insinuated that everyone likes FTF's I was pointing out that it is not a true statement. Personally I am neutral on the subject of FTF's. I see no reason to seek them and no reason not to. Edited by LaPaglia

I think this "feature" would be hard to implement and really is not needed. FTF's are really overrated. The cachers that get FTF's around here seem to have an edge, or inside tips when caches are going to be put out. I have even seen some sign the log as FTF, before the cache is posted to GC.com. For these reasons and the integrity of the game, I'd have to say this is a bad idea for a "feature". Plus I am sure I read at least once that GC.com is against such a feature.

I would suggest using this site's bookmark feature. AFAIK, and I don't know what the true number, the number of bookmarks lists is 10 with 100 bookmarks each even for a non-PM.

I figure as soon as you claim FF rights you place it on your list. You could request Jeremy make it a special type of bookmark that even a non-PM can share. The feature is already there, just probably not in the form you were thinking about.

EDIT: My bad. I thought this feature was open to everyone only it was limited for non-PMs. I had a serious brain f*rt there for a minute. ( "Yeah, what's new?" :( )

Edited by CoyoteRed
  It takes all kinds to play this game, and the ones who just point and laugh are laughable themselves.  Hopefully you don't know anyone so shallow as to think that their belittling another’s fun, is anything other than pathetic.

Whoa.............back the horse up! How is this bewildering anyone's fun? All it's doing is showing that you were the FTF, that's it.

Whew what a leap!!!

It's a bad idea because everybody will want one.

People are already complaining when someone posts a cache that restricts anyone with FTF from finding it first. Or ones that say let so-and-so find it first then it's open to all.

Those cache postings do happen and you'll have to get that stopped before this so called prize option is added. And I seriously doubt gc.com going to start being that controling just for this new stat.

It takes all kinds to play this game, and the ones who just point and laugh are laughable themselves.  Hopefully you don't know anyone so shallow as to think that their belittling another’s fun, is anything other than pathetic.

Whoa.............back the horse up! How is this bewildering anyone's fun? All it's doing is showing that you were the FTF, that's it.

Whew what a leap!!!

That quote is RK's not mine.

FTF and then have it highlight that cache in your recent caches found listed on your account page and also keep track of them in your stats page?

Sorta' already exists. (See FTF: Anyway to search..) In the caches found list, if the date found is within a day or so of the placed date, it's possibly a FTF. To verify, check that user's log for the "Woohoo--FTF" mention.

You can count them and include that in your stats if you want (as I have done since beginning). I double-checked when I learned of that tip a week ago and was pleased I hadn't missed any.

Lets see, the website is on record as to not wanting stats

I believe the new Notification feature catering to FTFers clearly demonstrates the site's endorsement of such competition in this area. In fact it's considered valuable enough to be charged for.

(Nevermind stats are provided with every log and there's a dedicated page for them in profiles...)

Enjoy,

Randy

It's a bad idea because everybody will want one.

If it's such a bad idea, then why would everyone want one?? :(

I thought I explained why. Or is it easier to take edit my statements out of context and reply to them?

As far as I'm concerned FTF doesn't usually take any special skills. Most high number FTF'ers simply are in a better position to go looking first through circumstance and opprotunity.

How many postings have we seen complaining about how there's is someone who always grabs FTF before others? Now if we scantion FTF we are going do nothing more than increase that resentment because people will think they have a right to that stat.

Yeah, I know, if you really want ftf try harder and I agree, but gc.com doesn't stanction ftf now and, like I said, how many people are complaining already that they don't get a chance? The downfalls outweigh the benefits. (Though I am at loss to see a benefit in this stat).

I'd rather see gc.com spending time and effort on something that benefits the majority.

Edit: typos

Edited by BlueDeuce
PURPOSE.............oh ok I think you want to know why I would want to track my FTF's right? Geocaches are always talking about bragging rights when they are the FTF, so wouldn't be cool if there was a way of tracking the actual # of FTF's you had?

Interesting idea, but shouldn't happen.

Either you'll have to set up some pre-verification thing (like a code that would have to be in the cache to claim a FTF), or you have to trust everyone to NOT claim a cache they didn't really FTF, some will complain. Yes the owner might be able to delete the log/claim, but you know not all will if they even care to check, some will complain about this too. (this would also seem to go against gc.com current 'we don't need no stinking leader boards' stance :()

If FTF are important to you, go threw your finds and count out the ones you were first at. Simple.

If FTF are important to you, go threw your finds and count out the ones you were first at. Simple.

After reading all the logs and stepping on a few toes I believe this is the answer I was looking for. The FTF's aren't really that important to me, I just thought it would be a cool feature.

Thankyou to all for your input into the idea!! :D

One other thing would be to think about is how people log caches. I'm sure every one of us at one time or another has either been the first to log online and not the first to find or found it first but there was a person or two who logged before you logged your FTF. I've done it and it's happened to my caches. So how, in that case, does the computer figure out who's first to find and who's just the first to log on the site? In really popular areas, the FTF could be the fifth or sixth log on a cache page.

One other thing would be to think about is how people log caches.  I'm sure every one of us at one time or another has either been the first to log online and not the first to find or found it first but there was a person or two who logged before you logged your FTF.  I've done it and it's happened to my caches.  So how, in that case, does the computer figure out who's first to find and who's just the first to log on the site?  In really popular areas, the FTF could be the fifth or sixth log on a cache page.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................!!!

Finding an automatic way to figure out the FTF is problematic, like others have already said, first to find is not always the first to log (as happened to me this weekend). You can't look for FTF in the log descriptions as someone may say "I just missed the FTF". And proximity to the placement date may not work as a cache may not be approved for several days after it was placed.

I have no reason to believe TPTB will implement this, as I have suggested it before, but if they were I think it should be up to the cache owner to designate who the FTF is. If there is a conflict in cachers claiming the FTF then the owner should go out and check the log, if its too far away or to difficult to get to check it, the cache owner should ask themselves if they are close enough to the cache to maintain it at all.

If the cache owner were philosphically apposed to FTF's they could opt out by not designating who is the FTF.

Edited by Blanston12